Wushu Question.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you know about 5 animals? I've heard refrence to it as not being a cma ? Every heard anything like that?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

That's not right. See for example this book.

Yeah, I know its a cma I'm just curious as to why I've heard people who "supposedly" train in it, refer to it as japanaese? What is okinawan White Crane System ? Is that different from the 5 animal system ?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I once learned some 5 ancestors, but I'm no expert.

My Malaysian Chinese teacher thought that all Karate was crap, except maybe Goju Ryu. Despite this he found remarkable similarities and what he called 'mistakes' between one of his forms and one of their Katas. He was rather good friends with one of these Goju Ryu chaps I think, and they both got something out of the comparison. But it was never disputed that the art was originally Chinese. After all the Chinese don't call their art 'Japanese Hand' do they?

I'd guess the same could be said for 5 animals forms, and their counterparts in Okinawan Karate.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been discussed here before; it has a very karate-like appearance. There is a book on it by A.L. Co and also some videos.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with 5 Ancestors. What is it about ?
Hmm, let me try to remember, what my teacher used to say.

I think Five Ancestors incorporates 5 old styles, or at least be broken down into these 'styles'. I think these are Monkey, Tiger, Dragon, Crane and Green Dress Lady styles.

Five Animals, which if I remember rightly had Panther and Snake but no Monkey. I can't remember what the other three were.

I think the animal names were mnemonics as well as trying to offer different ways of fighting, and did not necessarily imply a lineage. It is more likely that the styles of Kung Fu broke off from such a base than formed into one style.

Each teachers interpretation of the animals seemed skewed depending on if he had any instruction in that style alone.

When I did Pak Mei there were animal elements in the forms.

OP
Y

yentao

Sorry dude you wrong the five ancestor fist comes from the five styles of Kao Kun (monkey fist), Tat Chun, Tai Cho, LoHan, and PeHo(Fukien White Crane). The style was founded by Chua Giok Beng in the 1800's.

Latest Discussions