Reaction score
For a good dit da jow try this simple but effective one:

one fifth of cheap whiskey
two ounces of Bai Zhi (angelica root)
two ounces of Xue Jie (dragons blood)
three ounces of Ru Xiang (frankincense)
three ounces of Mo Yao (myhrr)
two ounces of pseudogensing

Mix all in with the whiskeyin a glass container. Let stand for one month. Shake vigerously every day. Keep in a cool place out of the sunlight.

This is good for bruises, swelling, and mild pain. This dit da jow has a slight cooling effect.

You can get most of those herbs at a chinese grocery store or asain super market

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, my wife e-mailed and indicated that the Wushu my daughter will be taking is pretty much just performance oriented. She talked with the instructor and came away with that much. My daughter loved her first session though, so we'll see how she sticks with it. I will find out more as time goes on, and I get home, I am sure.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The original wushu requirements taught by Wu Bin and propagated by people like Jet Li were and are effective techniques. The modern nan quan, chan quan, etc. are not and are glorified gymnastics. I competed for 18 years all over the US and lived/trained for 2 years in Hong Kong and seen the differences even between the forms 25 years ago and now. Jet Li, Kenny Perez, Keith Hyrabashi, Gary Toy, etc. were all exceptional wushu and fighters who knew how to do both. But, and here I disagree with Jade, if I ran a very good and advanced eagle claw form, Nine bird Shaolin form, etc. I could win almost any time and fight with those techniques. In modern tournaments, the fighting, whether Chinese tournaments or not, are nothing more than kick and punch with very little mantis, eagle, snake, etc theory used!! I was trained in the traditional way, very hard, and at age 50 can do most of what I learned, but have also trained in tai chi the last 12 years and that has had a profound effect. Plus, at my age, my kung fu is more about becoming natural, not techniques, and growing the fa jing, nei gung, etc. Modern wushu very rarely teaches these internal concepts, and as a result most wushu artists I have judged or even fought are empty in that regard. The ones who do have it, invariably,have been doing wushu over 20 years and learned it in the middle or toward the end of the old rules. Modern wushu, with the rules of the last 2-5 years, is NOT fighting applications. To some points made here, the old rule was practice high, kick low. I can still do a split, still kick in the face, etc, but choose not because in most cases those are useless in a real fight. Jade, I understand and respect both your loyalty to your training and to your sifu, that is what is to be expected, but how many full contact matches have you had where you got disqualified if you did not use your system (i.e. said you were mantis but just kicked rather than use the actual techniques), fighting and protecting you and yours on the street, or sweated blood while in a circle of your seniors as they came in to fight you? How many times did you have bamboo or wax staffs broken over your legs, your back, or had someone kick you full power with a jinged kick to your stomach or groin area, and were not allowed to move? Sit in horse stance during a 6 hour test for rank, and have your two seniors, a snake and a dragon, hold two real gim swords at your neck and were told to use them if you came up before 30 minutes of mabu parallel to the ground after 6 hours of testing? In other words, I respect the stamina aspects of modern wushu and the athletic skill, but when was the last time during your training that you were filmed fighting your master for 4 and a half hours, where you are padded up and he is not, and he is 5'11" 300 lbs. and fast, no fat, from Hong Kong, and you are 5'4" 150 lbs. and not allowed to run away?!

In other words, with respect, I do not allow modern wushu artists to compete in our Northern traditional ring when I am head judge, and their weapon sets, with the light staffs, flexisabres, and double hook swords that shake when you look at them, are not permitted either.

I mean no disrespect, but if you knew Madame Wong Ju Rong, or her family, or other great artists who learned traditionally during the Cultural revolution and were forced to hide or escape, like Liang Shouyu, because their fighting skills were held in disrepute, or Chairman Mao and Chou En Lai forcing the advent of wushu and personally stating the art should not be for fighting in 1967-69, you would understand my reluctance. I agree with you that the first and second generation of wushu artists, from the 70s to the late 80s, could fight (I gave American examples earlier of wushu artists from the 80s), but the modern wushu rules are geared toward gymnastics and incomplete technique.

This is just my opinion, and I am not attacking or disparaging any one person directly, these are just my observations over time and years of competing and judging. As well as real fighting using my styles.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By the way, dit da jow is wonderful stuff for training but, correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe the tiger wine elements needed to make it most effective, has been banned in Asia due to the decline of tigers and tiger bones. The ones made today have more alcohol usually, but are not allowed to ferment for the 3-7 years to make it most effective. I am not a herbalist, so if I am wrong here I apologize!! Can someone more educated on this topic speak to it than me?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, dit da jow is wonderful stuff for training but, correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe the tiger wine elements needed to make it most effective, has been banned in Asia due to the decline of tigers and tiger bones. The ones made today have more alcohol usually, but are not allowed to ferment for the 3-7 years to make it most effective. I am not a herbalist, so if I am wrong here I apologize!! Can someone more educated on this topic speak to it than me?

You can make very good jows using different chinese herbs. Tigers and tiger bones aren't the only things that can be used. Also I've been told by several that after about 5 years a dit da jow starts to loose it's potency. It only takes about 6 months for it to be a very strong jow. The recipe that I posted works well for me.

Latest Discussions