WSL vs Leung Sheung

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the basic difference between the 2, especially as taught by Kenneth Chung (Leung Sheung)

Thank you

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Nicholas. Didn't we cover this very same topic a few years ago?

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, here it is:

Leung Sheung vs WSL

It was a decent discussion if I remember correctly. Are you still on the fence about who to train with?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, here it is:

Leung Sheung vs WSL

It was a decent discussion if I remember correctly. Are you still on the fence about who to train with?
At the outset, some training with either lineage is better than no training and just talking. It get's harder later on if you can't find training in your lineage. Or if your lineage has split, etc. Some of my old hing-dai (kung-fu brothers) won't even talk to me since I went with a different branch when our lineage split in 2007.

Consequently, I don't have anybody to continue training with in my state ...and I really don't want to learn another lineage from scratch. I don't wan't spend a lot of time learning new, slightly different versions of the forms, etc. So I'm constantly looking for experienced people from other groups to train with privately. You know ...independent-minded people who like to test stuff.

But it's hard to find people like that. Especially in WC/VT/WT. If they run a commercial school or are still in "disciple mode" ...as I once was, then they will not be interested. I know at least one group of good people at an MMA gym, but they are a little too young and rough for my 65 year-old body ...and it's a 60 mile round trip to their gym. Still ...can't just sit on my ash, right?

Last edited:

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the outset, some training with either lineage is better than no training and just talking. It get's harder later on if you can't find training in your lineage. Or if your lineage has split, etc. Some of my old hing-dai (kung-fu brothers) won't even talk to me since I went with a different branch when our lineage split in 2007.

I agree. And for beginners, talking too much about where and with whom to train with can often make it more difficult for them to even get started in the first place. Unfortunately if a practitioner finds themselves unable to continue in their chosen lineage, they will have to decide how they want to keep training. If that happens later on, hopefully some experience will help them make the right decision. Sometimes moving on is a good thing. I have personally never found myself in a position where I could not pursue training in my lineage, but I’m open to travel.

I hear that some WT circles deal with people that move to different branches in the same way that you describe. It's too bad that solid relationships are often less important than the Kool-Aid that some people chose to drink.

Consequently, I don't have anybody to continue training with in my state ...and I really don't want to learn another lineage from scratch. I don't wan't spend a lot of time learning new, slightly different versions of the forms, etc. So I'm constantly looking for experienced people from other groups to train with privately. You know ...independent-minded people who like to test stuff.

But it's hard to find people like that. Especially in WC/VT/WT. If they run a commercial school or are still in "disciple mode" ...as I once was, then they will not be interested. I know at least one group of good people at an MMA gym, but they are a little too young and rough for my 65 year-old body ...and it's a 60 mile round trip to their gym. Still ...can't just sit on my ash, right?

Right, no sitting! Finding good people to train with is the key IMO. There's only so much we can do without training partners.

Most of the folks that I train with are dedicated practitioners; but fairly open-minded about training with pretty much anyone regardless of lineage. I think the “disciple mode” that you are referring to unfortunately comes from the top down in some groups.

I have never been to Arizona but my wife and I have talked about taking a trip there. If we do, maybe we can add Phoenix to the list.:cool:

Latest Discussions