Footwork

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever notice this difference in WT VT WT (whatever) footwork? I guess in the end it come down to a personal preference.

I visited a Kenneth Chung school, Leung Ting and viewed tapes on WSL. Of all the footwork, I found the LT to be restrictive in mobility, not only dragging the rear leg but placing all the weight on the rear leg. I think this would be a disadvantage esp. if you're face mobile opponent (ie boxer).

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been training in the WT system for 15 years now.
Initially I was like ' how in the #$%! am I supposed to be able to move with this footwork, let alone fight with it?".....but after some good old fashioned hard work I now find it very natural and it makes total sense from a fighting standpoint....single or multiple opponents.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nicholas, I'm with Yak on this. The back weighted WT stance is tough to assimilate, but if you figure it out and train hard enough to make it work for you, there are definite pay-offs. Like you pointed out in your thread, Building a Solid Foundation, you have to "resist the temptation of instant gratification..." and give "attention to detail, commitment and perseverance..." if you want to make it work. And even so, frankly it's not for everybody. But if you get it down, you move like the king on the chess board... easily stepping in any direction... for a short distance. If you want to cover longer ranges, there are other stepping methods. But they are not the foundation.

That said, I'm also a firm believer in there being "more than one way to skin a cat". I have to be, since I have a bone fusion in my ankle from an old injury that makes it necessary for me to deviate from the "ideal". Basically, you just have to adapt. Good luck in your training.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't dismiss any type of footwork these days , practice it hard enough and long enough and you can become very mobile.

But there are different trade offs with all martial arts stances are there not , some are highly mobile and lack stability , some are very stable but lack mobility.

As an outsider from a different lineage , the first thing that stands out to me is that any kick launched from that front leg would be virtually undetectable.

Any tell tale telegraphic shoulder movement would be pretty much non existant because the weight has already been transferred onto the support leg .

This to me would seem to be a major advantage of this stance.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think many people look at the WT footwork and misunderstand it to be our only method of stepping.
I was taught that when outside the opponent's range you are in essence in a character 2 stance....we do not put the leg forward...this would only serve as a target to a leg kicker or a handle to a grappler.

When attacked we explode in bridging the gap with either hands or feet depending on the circumstance ,then and only then is the leg forward. We
then use the forward leg to control our opponent's leg to prevent him from kicking and as he backs away we stick to him and follow him in whatever direction he should go. If he jumps way back we don't do a series of short steps to catch him, we step through with our back leg and rejoin his front leg.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in the WT system for 15 years now.
Initially I was like ' how in the #$%! am I supposed to be able to move with this footwork, let alone fight with it?".....but after some good old fashioned hard work I now find it very natural and it makes total sense from a fighting standpoint....single or multiple opponents.

Coming from a Karate and Kickboxing (PKA rules) background, I never was able to make friends with Wing Chun footwork at outside ranges. I am in no way saying nobody can do it, just me myself. I revert to Kickboxing at longer range and will naturally go to Wing Chun footwork inside the pocket. It "feels" better for me going about it this way, and even more comfortable the older and less mobile I get. I don't move like I did even 5 yrs ago, let alone 10 yrs ago when I trained all the time in Kickboxing and will rely on boxing as well upto clinching range. Before martial arts, I would naturaly fight "Ice Hockey Without Ice Skates" style! LOL You won't ever see me on Dancing with the Stars, but I can move soooo much better these days! LOL

Latest Discussions