WSL PB VT and primary actions/hands

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That should be this:
Interesting...thank you for sharing.
In the training I've gotten our bong is more of a forward screwing motion rather than a lifting of the elbow and is driven more by pressure either by the opponent or by our driving forward as contact is attained. Our bong can drive forward but is used more often as a redirection by yielding to the pressure.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting...thank you for sharing.
In the training I've gotten our bong is more of a forward screwing motion rather than a lifting of the elbow and is driven more by pressure either by the opponent or by our driving forward as contact is attained. Our bong can drive forward but is used more often as a redirection by yielding to the pressure.
Sure thing. I notice bong sao applications vary a lot between lineages. We often practice using it for linear deflection and can yield to it from positions like tan sao, wu sao, etc. For example, one drill we practice is tan to bong. A partner just applies a little pressure to the wrist of our tan sao, and instead of fighting the pressure, we yield to bong sao. My si gung has even gone so far as to call bong an upside down tan sao. You can also think of it as behaving a lot like a boxer's shoulder roll but with the forearm as point of contact.

The angle of deflection can vary but the forearm typically lands along the "main diagonal" or 3d diagonal of a cube with one corner at the elbow and the opposite corner at the wrist. Doesn't require a lot of force to nudge the incoming strike off course but applying some force can hyper extend the incoming arm's elbow (especially if the punch rotates the elbow to the outside).

~ Alan

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good drilling for a specific interception & counter attacking method to a point. Not fan of the stopping or pushing off and stepping back resetting directly in front of the attacker. But that's just me.

In your wc training are there other variables as to different striking combinations, entries, re-countering attacks by the opponent, clinching, takedowns and preventions that are done?
Even with lower level students, if/when disengaging never be in the same place.
Hey Danny T, here's one of our linear flow drills applied to the dummy with a recapture.