WSL PB VT and primary actions/hands

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So for those of us who have been around this forum for a bit we may remember lengthy chats with our WSL brothers about topics such as "chasing hands", and "primary actions / secondary actions / auxiliary, and "it's all about the punch and/or clearing the line with things like bong, pak, jut to allow the punching to continue etc etc.
Now, I'll admit I'm not fully understanding of their ways but recently I came across these videos and it is quite perplexing. This guy (Greece chapter of PBWSLVT?) seems to be using pak as a primary hand.

I know our resident LFJ and Guy B. seem to be absent these days but figured if I post something along their way of thinking, perhaps they may pop back in to offer some input or clarifications.

Comments? Thoughts? Feedback?

[*crap! tried to upload the videos but for some reason this forum doesn't like .mp4 (?). Anyway, here is the URL on Facebook to view the videos...]

and...

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So for those of us who have been around this forum for a bit we may remember lengthy chats with our WSL brothers about topics such as "chasing hands", and "primary actions / secondary actions / auxiliary, and "it's all about the punch and/or clearing the line with things like bong, pak, jut to allow the punching to continue etc etc.
Now, I'll admit I'm not fully understanding of their ways but recently I came across these videos and it is quite perplexing. This guy (Greece chapter of PBWSLVT?) seems to be using pak as a primary hand.

I know our resident LFJ and Guy B. seem to be absent these days but figured if I post something along their way of thinking, perhaps they may pop back in to offer some input or clarifications.

Comments? Thoughts? Feedback?

[*crap! tried to upload the videos but for some reason this forum doesn't like .mp4 (?). Anyway, here is the URL on Facebook to view the videos...]

and...

Looks like some good kung fu in these videos.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was always taught that everything is built around the attack as well. Bridge and attack non stop even while defending.

I don't have wsl though mine comes through Ching/Kwok

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was always taught that everything is built around the attack as well. Bridge and attack non stop even while defending.

I don't have wsl though mine comes through Ching/Kwok

Yup...but these guys are all about the punch containing both, which is great but this guy in the video isn't doing that so hence I am confused and hoping someone from that camp will explain the thinking.

...by Ching / Kwok do you mean Ip Ching/Sam Kwok?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup...but these guys are all about the punch containing both, which is great but this guy in the video isn't doing that so hence I am confused and hoping someone from that camp will explain the thinking.

...by Ching / Kwok do you mean Ip Ching/Sam Kwok?
Yes

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like some good kung fu in these videos.

Good drilling for a specific interception & counter attacking method to a point. Not fan of the stopping or pushing off and stepping back resetting directly in front of the attacker. But that's just me.

In your wc training are there other variables as to different striking combinations, entries, re-countering attacks by the opponent, clinching, takedowns and preventions that are done?
Even with lower level students, if/when disengaging never be in the same place.

Reactions: KPM

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good drilling for a specific interception & counter attacking method to a point. Not fan of the stopping or pushing off and stepping back resetting directly in front of the attacker. But that's just me.

In your wc training are there other variables as to different striking combinations, entries, re-countering attacks by the opponent, clinching, takedowns and preventions that are done?
Even with lower level students, if/when disengaging never be in the same place.

Just wanted to say something nice about it. The partners here look like they’ve trained hard to get to a point where they can execute this way (and of course they’re showboating a little, otherwise mr abs would be wearing a shirt). From a technical perspective it looks like they’re just working a specific drill and resetting to repeat it.

I get where you’re coming from in terms of training muscle memory to reset and push your opponent away. That’s problematic if you train it in and accidentally do it in a fight when adrenaline is pumping (deal with problems once if you can help it). They should probably acknowledge the stopping point at close range and then reset so as to not confuse the push away as part of the movement itself.

Also have trouble with the finger tips pointing directly at the opponent as it can make it easy to jam his fingers. We point our fingers vertically and practice making contact with the palm heal.

I just wanted to leave an encouraging/positive message lol.

We do drill strike interceptions, entries, re-countering (we say recapture), debasing, sweeps, chi gerk gets into prevention, clinch defense, wrist grabs, etc. Counters for all of them, and structured/random follow ups (always followup/through etc).

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr Abs also has impressive lats. That means he is a proper Southern stylist. You cannot be a believable Southern stylist if you cannot use your lats as sails on a boat.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr Abs also has impressive lats. That means he is a proper Southern stylist. You cannot be a believable Southern stylist if you cannot use your lats as sails on a boat.

An important insight for me on bong was that in order for me to relax my shoulders I needed to support them with my lats (push up from lats versus crunch up with traps).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to say something nice about it. The partners here look like they’ve trained hard to get to a point where they can execute this way (and of course they’re showboating a little, otherwise mr abs would be wearing a shirt). From a technical perspective it looks like they’re just working a specific drill and resetting to repeat it.

I get where you’re coming from in terms of training muscle memory to reset and push your opponent away. That’s problematic if you train it in and accidentally do it in a fight when adrenaline is pumping (deal with problems once if you can help it). They should probably acknowledge the stopping point at close range and then reset so as to not confuse the push away as part of the movement itself.

Also have trouble with the finger tips pointing directly at the opponent as it can make it easy to jam his fingers. We point our fingers vertically and practice making contact with the palm heal.

I just wanted to leave an encouraging/positive message lol.

We do drill strike interceptions, entries, re-countering (we say recapture), debasing, sweeps, chi gerk gets into prevention, clinch defense, wrist grabs, etc. Counters for all of them, and structured/random follow ups (always followup/through etc).
Hope my question didn't off as being critical...wasn't my intent. Just making some observations and questions on your thoughts. Thank you.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hope my question didn't off as being critical...wasn't my intent. Just making some observations and questions on your thoughts. Thank you.

Nah not at all. Was speaking more for myself than anything. Want to try to encourage positives more often where I see them.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Man, that was true of my old sifu, LT. He did not look strong in the chest and shoulders, but when he flexed them, his lats indeed, were just like sails.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An important insight for me on bong was that in order for me to relax my shoulders I needed to support them with my lats (push up from lats versus crunch up with traps).

I'm not sure how that works, considering that lats pull down and in rather than upwards and out. They sure help sinking and adducting the elbow toward center, as in jum, jut, gum and downward lap sau, etc. but I don't quite see how your lats can "push up" a bong sau?

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that works, considering that lats pull down and in rather than upwards and out. They sure help sinking and adducting the elbow toward center, as in jum, jut, gum and downward lap sau, etc. but I don't quite see how your lats can "push up" a bong sau?

Hard to describe but can show you what I mean when you’re in town. More like expanding upward to support. We probably think about bong sao differently too so it may not apply for you.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hard to describe but can show you what I mean when you’re in town. More like expanding upward to support. We probably think about bong sao differently too so it may not apply for you.

That's the trouble with forums. Things that are easy to show someone are hell to explain in words!

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score

I've been dealing with some pain when training Bak Mei for a quite a while now on my right shoulder. It took me until last month to realise I had half a Yukon Gold of muscle more on my left latissimus dorsi than the right one and hardly any muscular activation on the latter.

I figured out that one main sources of stability in most BM movements is the lat since both upper and lower back expand and round to direct and generate power, so in a way you have to rely on the muscles pulling the scaps down for shoulder support. After starting to focus and train those muscles the shoulder issues have become less.

It's possible to engage the lats properly up to horizontal level, even higher is possible but then it's more of a hindrance than a benefit. Bong sau should have no issues.

P.S. They don't sell Yukon Gold where I'm from, so it's a rough guess. But we have the Lapland Fingerling, and they're the tastiest you can find. :D

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay. This I understand and can agree somewhat... it is because of the elbow positioning toward one's centerline that the lats engage and create the support.

Yep! Firing the lats is going to help keep the shoulder firmly "in joint" and not let it become over-extended. In more technical terms....firing the lats keeps the glenohumeral joint in a "closed packed" position...which is more stable and a stronger structure. Many people tend to over-extend with their Bong Sau and end up with a weakened position as a result.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay. This I understand and can agree somewhat... it is because of the elbow positioning toward one's centerline that the lats engage and create the support.
Here's our bong sao with a few single-arm dummy drills I just uploaded:

YouTube

~ Alan

Latest Discussions