Worst Injuries??

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
My first thread, I'm new here, I'm only here and not training right this instant because I broke a 5th metatarsal while landing a back kick last week in class. Anyway, I'm totally depressed about not being able to train for at least 6 weeks, and I'm worried about how slow I will be upon my return....I spoke to the head of my school about what I could be doing in the meantime and he suggested 500 crunches/situps and push ups a day, alternating between situps & pushups until I couldn't go on. I know my cardio will suffer after not training for so long, but with a broken foot there's nothing much I can do about it. Has anyone else had fairly major injuries while practicing taekwondo? What did you do while you waited to recover in terms of training or anything else taekwondo related?

Thanks.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sprained my knee badly - I walked through things as best I could, showed up to class and watched (an ideal time/way to take notes), and studied all the materials I had available - so my knowledge was greater after my injury than before, and I could concentrate on my physical recovery instead of having to relearn things as well.

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes I've already read one tkd publication since my injury last week (A Killing Art, the untold history of TKD) I'll pick up some more. I could practice my patterns, which I'll do, but with a cast on it's really kind of a drag.

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to change the name of this thread to: "I'm in a cast and depressed about not training" !

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Injury Highlights;

TKD : Blew the ACL in each knee at seperate times.
Both Knees scoped at seperate times to remove sme cartilage
Various busted toes and fingers
Various sprains and strains
Left hip replaced. Unknown how much various factors contributed o this.

Othe rmajot item was a motorcycle injury that had me in the hospital for a week.

During recoup did the following when possible (in addittion to religiously following post op therapy.)Sometimes at low intensity.

Continuation of upper body weightlifting.
Stationary Bike. Sometimes I could only peddle half way around and repeat
Walk thru patterns.
Do easy range of motion kicks without speed or power.
Stretch as allowed.

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah I have an old ACL injury in my right leg from a snowboarding incident 9 years ago, knee = never been the same....

I'm doing upper body weightlifting in the meantime as well as the situps/crunches, pushups, I am a big fan of using one's own bodyweight as a tool to build strength, which reminds me, any one done a lot of slow kicking on the ground?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all in TKD, but I have broken my nose, ribs, collarbone, and a couple of fingers. These are on myself. I have also dislocated a shoulder, "popped" my elbow, and had countless cuts and bruises.

I have seen and/or inflicted worse than I have received. I pushed through most of mine despite the pain I was feeling at the time, not the best thing to do.

I suggest that you try to get some cardio in a "no impact" zone, like swimming or water aerobics. Just my professional opinion.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got over a broken arm. Took the cast off after 2 weeks. Never stopped training. Trained with the cast on and off.

Broke the pinky toe and two bursa sacs in pinky and 4th toe as well. Stopped training for 2 weeks. Wrapped the foot really tight after being told to stay off the foot for 6 weeks and given a soft cast to ware. Had to get back training. 6 weeks is just too long.

longest I was out was 4 weeks due to 2 cracked ribs. Just could not bare that pain.

After each injury I did not do any contact but tried what I could. Of course I had to skip some drills and techniques but I still trained what I could.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
While practicingt nahtabon kicks, I landed funny and blew out the ACL in my right knee (a few weeks before my 1st dan test no less). This required surgery, 6 months of recovery and rehab, and another 2 to3 months of training to get back into shape and prepare for another BB test.

While laid up, I did a lot of reading and research on martial art related stuff (bunkai for kata/poomse, videos of other styles), I also spent a lot of time mentally rehearsing all the poomses, requires sefl defense techs, one steps, terminology, etc from my curriculum. I did this with as much mental intensiy I could muster (research shows that mental visualization cna help improve physical performance even when not training). This also kept the stuff frech in mhy mind so I didn't have to re-learn as well as get my ""mat legs" back as it were.

When released to rehab, I attackjed that like I train (worked twice as hard and never cut corners). My recovery was my training goal. In the end, I eventually came back as strong, if not stronger than I was before my injury.

Peace,
Erik

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hyperextended R Leg when teaching distance kicking class & guy holding my target flinched before I hit the air shield.

Knee scoped & cleaned out.

Multiple toe & finger breaks along the way.

Stopped counting sprains & strains early on.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sprained my knee badly - I walked through things as best I could, showed up to class and watched (an ideal time/way to take notes), and studied all the materials I had available - so my knowledge was greater after my injury than before, and I could concentrate on my physical recovery instead of having to relearn things as well.
There's a lot you can learn by watching... sometimes, more than if you were participating because you aren't distracted by trying to do it.

Talk to your instructors, and if you can, go to class anyway and watch.

You can also practice some elements while sitting... Or in a couple of weeks, practice slow kicks focusing on perfect technique using your injured foot to kick. Don't kick higher than you are absolutely certain you can handle the balance for (or even, use a chair or other support to be sure you don't fall) and absolutely don't make any contact.

And -- don't forget that you can go through your forms, drills, and other exercises in your mind...

For your cardio -- can you try a stationary bike, with doctor's approval?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got over a broken arm. Took the cast off after 2 weeks. Never stopped training. Trained with the cast on and off.

Broke the pinky toe and two bursa sacs in pinky and 4th toe as well. Stopped training for 2 weeks. Wrapped the foot really tight after being told to stay off the foot for 6 weeks and given a soft cast to ware. Had to get back training. 6 weeks is just too long.

longest I was out was 4 weeks due to 2 cracked ribs. Just could not bare that pain.

After each injury I did not do any contact but tried what I could. Of course I had to skip some drills and techniques but I still trained what I could.
Speaking from the vantage of years -- and having done some of the same thing --

When your hurt -- train smarter, not harder. The odds are pretty good that you're going to pay for some of those choices in a few years.

Don't remove casts against doctor's advice, don't ignore injuries... work with them, and learn how to compensate.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking from the vantage of years -- and having done some of the same thing --

When your hurt -- train smarter, not harder. The odds are pretty good that you're going to pay for some of those choices in a few years.

Don't remove casts against doctor's advice, don't ignore injuries... work with them, and learn how to compensate.
Pay for it in a few years. I am old and paying for it now. ;-) But no, I did consult with the doctor on the broken arm and he OK'd it. Told me not to bang it so that is why no contact at all. Bone actually gets sticky in about 5 days and is glued or set by then and is pretty strong. This is according to the doctor himself.

The body is pretty resilient and self healing. Each has to know his/her own bodies. We all mend and recover differently.

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score

One of my instructors broke each his hands in separate tournaments on different occasions and pretty much trained all the way through with those injuries.

My foot is bad, I can't walk on it without the aircast on, let alone run or kick anything. It's totally black/purple far away from where the actual break is. I can't bend my toes yet...the Doctor says I need physiotherapy. But it's only been a week since I broke it so I should be a little bit patient, though I've been back to dojang twice this week just watching training. Le sigh.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Worst martial arts injuries?

Lessee...

Torn ACL and shredded meniscus
Separated shoulder
Moderate concussion
Wrenched neck
Several cuts bad enough to leave persistent scars

Almost all of these were due to stupidity on my part or poorly supervised sparring. The worst ones were from being the dummy in a women's self defense class.

My wife was sidelined for close to a year with a rotator cuff injury and subsequent surgery. That was only marginally connected with martial arts. It came from over-enthusiastic plyometrics past the age of forty.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my instructors broke each his hands in separate tournaments on different occasions and pretty much trained all the way through with those injuries.

My foot is bad, I can't walk on it without the aircast on, let alone run or kick anything. It's totally black/purple far away from where the actual break is. I can't bend my toes yet...the Doctor says I need physiotherapy. But it's only been a week since I broke it so I should be a little bit patient, though I've been back to dojang twice this week just watching training. Le sigh.
Just mental train and get back when you can. Don't push it. Only you know when you are ready.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At the moment I've got three chipped bones in my right wrist, that I was hoping was simply carpal tunnel. I've sat out with a cracked bone in my leg, and had to go a few weeks without sparring due to cracked ribs before as well. I would suggest just continue going to class and watching if you can't participate until you are well enough to get out there yourself. That always made me feel better, and still connected to what was going on.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
worst? shoulder pulled out of socket

most persistant? hyper-extended elbow

more bloody noses than I can count, cuts, cracked ribs, broken toes, black eyes, busted lips, all small stuff.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worst Taekwondo injuries.......

Dislocated my pinky finger in 3 places & broke it in two in one shot blocking a side kick with a palm block (as a white belt:))

Broken middle toe on my right foot 3 times.

3 stitches under my lip from a misaimed side kick thrown by the guy sparring next to me (missing his partner:))

Numerous bruises, pulled muscles etc.

The calf muscle tear that I recently recovered from was from running, not TKD.

Not too bad for 27+ years of training :ultracool

Latest Discussions