Wong Shun Leung & Tan Sau

Status
Not open for further replies.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadness and anger are common reactions though, as is denial.
That's how I view life in general. Everything you learn, build, or love will come to nothing. You will grow old, sick, useless and die. All is vanity.

Denial is your friend! :)

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's how I view life in general. Everything you learn, build, or love will come to nothing. You will grow old, sick, useless and die. All is vanity.

I disagree, you should make the best use of the time you have available. Time is short. There is not time for deceiving yourself to be worthwhile.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree, you should make the best use of the time you have available. Time is short...

That's what my grandad always said. He's dead.

....Seriously though, If that's what you believe, why are you wasting time on this forum talking to the likes of me? :p

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. For the other guy! :D

OK, I admit that I just said that to make you happy. Did it work? ;)

Not really, but I'm already a happy guy. Not to worry. I was just wondering if there's anyone subscribing to this theory that can honestly say their arms have bent like bows and sprung like springs all of their own like that in a real fight. Sounds like it was made up during chi-sau.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really, but I'm already a happy guy. Not to worry. I was just wondering if there's anyone subscribing to this theory that can honestly say their arms have bent like bows and sprung like springs all of their own like that in a real fight. Sounds like it was made up during chi-sau.

Sounds like, but would like to hear someone that has made it work. There is a solid reluctance to discus each others wing chun here

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what my grandad always said. He's dead.

....Seriously though, If that's what you believe, why are you wasting time on this forum talking to the likes of me? :p

Entertainment is important, and I might learn something. I think this is why KPM's posting style is frustrating; there is never any intention to convey information. At least someone like Joy signals their lack of desire to convey information by not saying much.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like, but would like to hear someone that has made it work. There is a solid reluctance to discus each others wing chun here

I think the reluctance may come from the limited view folks get through text-based discussions...and also that we all seem to view certain aspects of WC drills in a completely different context. Not to mention strategy. :D

Personally, I've learned quite a bit from reading forums like these. It has helped me let go of "kool aid drinking" and to realize that the WC versions and interpretations are a vast ocean. Take for example you and LFJ's view on WSLVT. I now think I understand it much better and, in lieu of crossing hands with someone from your lineage, can appreciate your comments; whether I agree or disagree. I'd still like to cross hands with someone from WSLVT someday but for now I'm limited to forums. :D

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Not made up in chi-sau, but definitely trained in chi-sau. Actually, I think it works more often than you think, Muscles are kind of rubbery and springy by nature, and more so if you don't tense up excessively. If you maintain forward pressure, you probably use some of this spring-back effect even if you don't identify it as such.

BTW... I thought a little more about what you said in this post, and I believe you have a really legit question. I have asked it myself, many times. Namely, "Is this just some trick that works in the 'chi-sau game' or can we really use it under pressure?" So far, my answer is that I, personally, cannot depend on springy energy 100%. Fortunately, WC basics will often carry me through when I can't "spring" like a master. But if I can get this springy effect to manifest just 5 or 10% of the time, I feel I'm better off for it.

Now, LFJ, if you want a better answer, look up some guys coming out of the LT lineage that actually have above average ability and have spent some serious time testing their stuff. Truth be told, I'm a hobbyist and my skills are "ho-hum" by comparison. --Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: LFJ

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I've learned quite a bit from reading forums like these. It has helped me let go of "kool aid drinking" and to realize that the WC versions and interpretations are a vast ocean. Take for example you and LFJ's view on WSLVT. I now think I understand it much better and, in lieu of crossing hands with someone from your lineage, can appreciate your comments; whether I agree or disagree. I'd still like to cross hands with someone from WSLVT someday but for now I'm limited to forums. :D

Really glad to have helped in some way. If you are ever in UK please let me know. Conveying information about the WSL method and learning about other methods is all I hope to do here, even though there are many who know a lot more about it than I do.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really glad to have helped in some way. If you are ever in UK please let me know. Conveying information about the WSL method and learning about other methods is all I hope to do here, even though there are many who know a lot more about it than I do.

Count on it! Would be interesting to compare and contrast, q&a in person, etc. I think the nearest WSL guy to me is Kevin gledhill in NY. I wonder if any high quality WSL folks give seminars in the US? Or is it primarily UK and Europe?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really; but there is a solid reluctance by most to argue about each others wing chun; save for a few. Express your opinion and accept others may well have a different opinion. Ask questions for this is a discussion forum. I don't come here to argue but to discuss and get different perspectives. I will then take them, practice and test them. I will prove to myself if they have merit for me. What I will not do is get into an argument attempting to sway you to my perspective. I will give it and it is up to you to find out if it is of benefit to you. I really don't care about 'style' or lineage but about what I use to make me a better martial artist, a better instructor.
As to what someone else can do; that is great for them but does nothing for me. It is what I can do, it is what works for me. So whether you agree with something or not give it a try, get a partner and train it; practice it, then test it. If it doesn't work move on. Maybe you will gain a new perspective or you will now know for yourself if doesn't work for you.
Arguing about it helps no one.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

You really should consider being a motivational speaker. I think you have a knack for it

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Entertainment is important, and I might learn something. I think this is why KPM's posting style is frustrating; there is never any intention to convey information. At least someone like Joy signals their lack of desire to convey information by not saying much.

That is pretty funny! Anyone else here think I never share any real information??? :rolleyes: Seems I remember someone being pretty interested in what I was sharing about the Tang Yik pole.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just an additional note. I checked David Peterson's book "Look Beyond the Pointing Finger." There are several pictures through-out of David using Tan Da. But someone could argue that Peterson just never learned the "correct" understanding of the Tan Sau because he was "just" a seminar student. But on page 46 of the "expanded" edition are some photos of Wong Shun Leung himself using Tan Da. A photo taken during a seminar, with many people in attendance looking on. Not a magazine cover. So unless one is willing to propose that Wong Shun Leung cheated seminar attendees by willfully teaching them the wrong thing..........

You still insist on learning from photos after you've shown with this thread that you don't even know what you're looking at... Why not go to a good WSLVT school and find out about it yourself?

I'm really confused, Peterson is one of WSL's top students, was he taught wrong? So am I to assume he runs an sh**ty school?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^Now that's the $1000 question wtxs!!!! ;) I'm sure it depends upon who you ask! But I've got a pretty good idea what our resident WSLVT "experts" would tell you.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is pretty funny! Anyone else here think I never share any real information??? :rolleyes: Seems I remember someone being pretty interested in what I was sharing about the Tang Yik pole.

My experience is that you are interested in taking a strong stance about things you don't know much about, and getting angry, evasive and emotional over not much. Apart from that I don't know anything about you. You might be a great person in reality.

Sure I would be interested to talk about Tang Yik pole if you are. I think it looks really good.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^^Now that's the $1000 question wtxs!!!! ;) I'm sure it depends upon who you ask! But I've got a pretty good idea what our resident WSLVT "experts" would tell you.

Do share

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Well in that case, I better go stock up on more popcorn and beer. :p

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well in that case, I better go stock up on more popcorn and beer. :p
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tsing tao, Singha or other- no Budweiser please

Status
Not open for further replies.