Wong Shun Leung & Tan Sau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got it, thanks for answering. As long as it wasn't me going against my own beliefs.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The following was said, by you know who.

I said nothing about "walking into" a round punch. The statement you quoted says nothing about footwork or angling or set up. Stop putting words my mouth to suit your own agenda.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said nothing about "walking into" a round punch. The statement you quoted says nothing about footwork or angling or set up. Stop putting words my mouth to suit your own agenda.

Well condsidering other places where you have posted, I would be flabbergasted that you would suggest such a thing, and a round punch.

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I think he's a dishonest parasite, and as PB once said in an interview when asked his wish for the future of the style, we hope to keep stupid people away from system.

OK, this is not acceptable behavior. If you can't play nice, play somewhere else. Gentlemen, we can do better. If not, I for one, will continue reporting to Admin. until we restore this forum to the polite, productive place for conversation that it used to be.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My last thoughts on the matter:

Yeah, for a while having some contrarian input seemed to liven things up, and the parties made some good points from time to time, or at least I thought so. But lately their input has become insulting and destructive IMO, and I'd really hate to see this forum wither away like that other one. I don't put anybody on "ignore" and I recommend others don't either. Instead, read, keep your cool, and report anything that violates our forum rules to Admin. Let's all work maintain a good, fun and productive WC forum.

Lately? LOL It's been that way for quite some time, it's just gotten a lot worse recently and reminds of exactly why KFO (yeah I said it) is dead.
I won't lose any sleep over not seeing their negative posts anymore and they can no longer see or reply to mine. And while I appreciate what you're saying, this is much easier and there is nothing to report.

Ok moving on..

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, this is not acceptable behavior. If you can't play nice, play somewhere else. Gentlemen, we can do better. If not, I for one, will continue reporting to Admin. until we restore this forum to the polite, productive place for conversation that it used to be.

Why does every WC thread have descend into a lineage spat anyway.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

“if it engages the opponents attack" i.e. inappropriate tan is up and out and you are approaching from where you can be punched. You are actually more likely to be clocked on the chin doing this than not. Why not just leave your hand by your face where it can be of some use?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
People too easily offended?

No. I think its more likely people whose mothers never taught them how to be polite and tactful in social interactions.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My last thoughts on the matter

I can see you reply to your posts thanks. I usually don't bother because they lack any meaningful content. Please stop drama queening your exit. Bye

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No. I think its more likely people whose mothers never taught them how to be polite and tactful in social interactions.

It looks more like people who are adult babies having tantrums because reality does not conform to wishes

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
“ you are approaching from where you can be punched.

I've got news for you guy. If you are close enough to punch the opponent, the opponent is close enough to punch you!!! ;)

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got news for you guy. If you are close enough to punch the opponent, the opponent is close enough to punch you!!! ;)

Depends. Walking in with tan out makes you a walking punch bag though

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score

Being a douche would make one a punching bag. Walking funny shouldn't.

And the insults are hailing in, I want no part of personal insults so can we all act like adults.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No! You are picking a singular element to you're argument. Hey those who know how to fight would not rely on anything. I believe that is what KPM is alluding to. Look I love Wing Chun, but still taking possibilities of adding a bit. There is nothing wrong with that, and does not make stupid. On the contrary, I would rather look in on Wing Chun, than being known as a practioner. My golly, does lineage become so important, that it overides common thought. Maybe to you that adhere to a narrow frame of reference of what is the ultimate style, I don't share that. What I do really want the most, is a Wing Chun forum without prejudice. I have probably irked a fair good people, but the Wing Chun forum should not be about who has superior this and that, but about Wing Chun. Sorry rant over, but you know??

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

You're right. Your idea was even (PC edit: less intelligent).

Let's look at why:

This is very much the "Choy Lit Fut vs. Wing Chun" scenario that was classic in the HK during Ip Man's heyday.

So...the Tan Sau hand is up as a cover as he goes in for the punch. If it engages the opponent's attack...that's good. If it doesn't...that's Ok as well. But the Wing Chun guy has given himself an extra little bit of insurance and protection from getting hit.

So, you're fighting a CLF guy who will be predictably throwing big bombs from all kinds of unpredictable angles.

You "go in for the punch", meaning forward footwork, extending your other arm in taan-sau as cover. And you think "if it engages the opponent's attack" that you don't even know is coming or from where, it's going to be able to stop it...

At least the other method is going in with the intent to shut down a punch they see coming, and not just extending their arm away from their face as "cover" against an unknown attack that could be coming from any angle.

Even that idea is already (PC edit: unintelligent) and won't work. It's made up by people practicing it in drills against (PC edit: subnormal) punches. What you suggest sounds like you've never worked with a live partner on anything before!

Status
Not open for further replies.