Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys just want women to be weak and submissive. This is 21st century, woman want equality, then they need to step up.

I am really really surprised how you guys think. I am old, but I am a true believer women can be strong and should be, not be submissive.
Well for a start stop calling me a guy.

I stepped up long ago to gain equal rights with men so don't patronise me and other women. I've been there, done it and got the scars to prove it. You aren't the only old one around here.

You only pay lip service to the idea of strong women because as soon as I disagreed with you, your posts got very stroppy.
Stop telling women what to do if you truly believe in what you say you do. Women ARE strong, you have no idea mate. You just don't like it because they won't do as they are told by you 😂

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys just want women to be weak and submissive. This is 21st century, woman want equality, then they need to step up.

I am really really surprised how you guys think. I am old, but I am a true believer women can be strong and should be, not be submissive.
Interesting that you think you know what others think. Psychic now, too?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First all, I never said I tell women what to do, don’t get all defensive. I encourage my grand daughter and my wife to learn self defense. One cannot just say they are not interested or comfortable in certain things and don’t want to try. In the old world, parents automatically give the boys tools, toy guns to play with, then give dolls and cooking toys to the girls. Please do NOT insult my intelligence by saying it’s not true. It’s a new world, you need to expose kids to everything. Self defense is ONLY one of the things. There are so many other things that girls should learn like using tools working on things like the boys do. Not only in self defense, but for future career. Women want to be treated equal, then they have to do everything men do to compete. Don’t just sit and cry foul and demand equal treatments, equal pay. Show you can do it. YOU EARN IT, that all started out as a kid to learn.

This is a more general talk: Not everything comes natural, a lot of skills are ACQUIRED, not born. A lot of interested are ACQUIRED, not by nature. It’s a new world, the days of women learning cooking and cleaning are long over, so are jobs as a secretary or typist are long gone. Most of the high pay jobs are high tech jobs like scientist, engineering and programming that required high math, physics and all that. Math and science do NOT come natural, particularly math, it is an ACQUIRED interest that you put in a lot of effort at the beginning before you acquire the interest. If everyone just follow the original interest and refuse to learn something they are uncomfortable, you almost NEVER get ahead. Remember most of the low skill jobs are gone overseas, you don’t have high skill, good luck.

Also even more important, to work on those high pay high tech jobs, you have to be handy, like good with tools, how to take things apart and put them back together. How do I know, I was in high tech, manager of engineering for a long time. I hire engineers and technicians. I have no doubt knowledge wise, women can be as good as men, one thing I notice is women just not as good with tools like screw drivers, pliers and all that. In those high tech high pay jobs, it is NOT like you sit behind the desk the program on the computer or design circuits on computers. You have to test it on the system. Very often, you need to get dirty, get into the inside of the system to probe, to monitor to verify that your program or your circuit design works. You need to disassemble things to test and put them back together. If you are not as handy, either you do it slow or worst, have to ask a technician to do it for you. You become less valuable as a worker. And when promotion and pay raise comes around, you get left behind and get bitter. These are the kind of things a woman should learn from very young. The idea is the same as learn self defense where you have to get OUT of the comfort zone and learn.

My wife is adventurous, she actually learn how to tune up a car, she learn to be a good shooter with guns. She’s a strong woman. Yes, she has a loaded gun next to her bed!!! She had a professional job, not those secretary or clerical job. She earned $110K/yr when she retired over 17 years ago. I admire her for being a strong woman. That’s how I teach my grand daughter. I got her tools when she was only 4 years old, we took toys apart just to play with. I tutor her math and she’s a student of the year last year in junior high.

I am all for women to be strong and compete every bit with men. To be strong and knowledgeable, you have to learn things that you are NOT comfortable with. You don’t demand respect, YOU EARN IT, to be strong. Stop complaining about men abusing woman, do something about it, be strong, beat the men up if they deserve it.

I said all I want to say, and I know it’s going to fall on death ears. Goodbye.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First all, I never said I tell women what to do, don’t get all defensive. I encourage my grand daughter and my wife to learn self defense. One cannot just say they are not interested or comfortable in certain things and don’t want to try. In the old world, parents automatically give the boys tools, toy guns to play with, then give dolls and cooking toys to the girls. Please do NOT insult my intelligence by saying it’s not true. It’s a new world, you need to expose kids to everything. Self defense is ONLY one of the things. There are so many other things that girls should learn like using tools working on things like the boys do. Not only in self defense, but for future career. Women want to be treated equal, then they have to do everything men do to compete. Don’t just sit and cry foul and demand equal treatments, equal pay. Show you can do it. YOU EARN IT, that all started out as a kid to learn.

This is a more general talk: Not everything comes natural, a lot of skills are ACQUIRED, not born. A lot of interested are ACQUIRED, not by nature. It’s a new world, the days of women learning cooking and cleaning are long over, so are jobs as a secretary or typist are long gone. Most of the high pay jobs are high tech jobs like scientist, engineering and programming that required high math, physics and all that. Math and science do NOT come natural, particularly math, it is an ACQUIRED interest that you put in a lot of effort at the beginning before you acquire the interest. If everyone just follow the original interest and refuse to learn something they are uncomfortable, you almost NEVER get ahead. Remember most of the low skill jobs are gone overseas, you don’t have high skill, good luck.

Also even more important, to work on those high pay high tech jobs, you have to be handy, like good with tools, how to take things apart and put them back together. How do I know, I was in high tech, manager of engineering for a long time. I hire engineers and technicians. I have no doubt knowledge wise, women can be as good as men, one thing I notice is women just not as good with tools like screw drivers, pliers and all that. In those high tech high pay jobs, it is NOT like you sit behind the desk the program on the computer or design circuits on computers. You have to test it on the system. Very often, you need to get dirty, get into the inside of the system to probe, to monitor to verify that your program or your circuit design works. You need to disassemble things to test and put them back together. If you are not as handy, either you do it slow or worst, have to ask a technician to do it for you. You become less valuable as a worker. And when promotion and pay raise comes around, you get left behind and get bitter. These are the kind of things a woman should learn from very young. The idea is the same as learn self defense where you have to get OUT of the comfort zone and learn.

My wife is adventurous, she actually learn how to tune up a car, she learn to be a good shooter with guns. She’s a strong woman. Yes, she has a loaded gun next to her bed!!! She had a professional job, not those secretary or clerical job. She earned $110K/yr when she retired over 17 years ago. I admire her for being a strong woman. That’s how I teach my grand daughter. I got her tools when she was only 4 years old, we took toys apart just to play with. I tutor her math and she’s a student of the year last year in junior high.

I am all for women to be strong and compete every bit with men. To be strong and knowledgeable, you have to learn things that you are NOT comfortable with. You don’t demand respect, YOU EARN IT, to be strong. Stop complaining about men abusing woman, do something about it, be strong, beat the men up if they deserve it.

'Beat men up if they need it'

'stop complaining about men abusing women'

This says this is a man who thinks he's always right and doesn't like being disagreed with. He knows what's best for his women!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The more I read this thread. The more I believe women should do MMA.
Women need to learn to be strong. If more women are strong and can defend themselves, men will think twice before hitting women.

I would like to see how many men here willing to go into the octagon against Gina Carano.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Women need to learn to be strong. If more women are strong and can defend themselves, men will think twice before hitting women.

I would like to see how many men here willing to go into the octagon against Gina Carano.

It didn't end well for these guys against Meisha Tate.

I don't think there is a specific women friendly system run by women that does a better job of tooling a female up to fight people than whoever trained her.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Literally nothing in that changes the fact that sometimes people just aren't interested, and your presentation here suggests you become more forceful when someone expresses disagreement (not inherently a bad thing), which makes most folks less interested in the topic if it's a casual thing to them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is a specific women friendly system run by women that does a better job of tooling a female up to fight people than whoever trained her.

It's not a 'woman friendly' system run by women that we are looking for, disabuse yourself of that idea for a start, that's not what is needed.

What we need is one specific to the strengths and weaknesses of women, as has already been said, and I agree, a stand up toe to toe fight between male and female isn't going to end well for the latter.

We also need to differentiate between learning a system until you are confident you can defend yourself and these courses the offer training for self defence.

Learning a few kicks and punches once isn't going to help when you need it, you need to learn not to freeze, then to be able to make that strike that will distract long enough for you to escape. The idea is not to stand and fight, the idea is to escape. Of course not always possible but it's the aim. Pre lockdown a Guiding leader I know came up to me all excited because her company had sent her on a women's self defence course ( a whole day) she could now defend herself with confidence! She'd learnt to punch and kick, could defend herself if grabbed AND against knife attacks. You all know what I said, and I'm sad I punctured her self confidence in her self defence capabilities, I'm also sorry I hurt her wrist a bit while she tried to make me let go, my fault lol I grabbed the wrong wrist. 😕 I was supposed to use my right hand to grab her right wrist. 'it worked when we did it on the course, my partner let go straight away'. I'm not even going to mention the knife defences.....

One thing that is never taught on any self defence course I've seen is listening to your gut. This is important, if it feels wrong, it is and you need to get out of where you are. Too often women especially knew something was wrong, whether it was body language, the situation or just something they couldn't put their finger on but they disregarded it, perhaps so as not to appear rude or strange. Never ignore that feeling, this is something children need to be taught as well.

There's a lot that can be done in self defence for everyone but while these BS courses are taught people especially women aren't safe, they are full of false confidence about what they can do, it can in extreme cases allow people to take risks they should not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not a 'woman friendly' system run by women that we are looking for, disabuse yourself of that idea for a start, that's not what is needed.

What we need is one specific to the strengths and weaknesses of women, as has already been said, and I agree, a stand up toe to toe fight between male and female isn't going to end well for the latter.

We also need to differentiate between learning a system until you are confident you can defend yourself and these courses the offer training for self defence.

Learning a few kicks and punches once isn't going to help when you need it, you need to learn not to freeze, then to be able to make that strike that will distract long enough for you to escape. The idea is not to stand and fight, the idea is to escape. Of course not always possible but it's the aim. Pre lockdown a Guiding leader I know came up to me all excited because her company had sent her on a women's self defence course ( a whole day) she could now defend herself with confidence! She'd learnt to punch and kick, could defend herself if grabbed AND against knife attacks. You all know what I said, and I'm sad I punctured her self confidence in her self defence capabilities, I'm also sorry I hurt her wrist a bit while she tried to make me let go, my fault lol I grabbed the wrong wrist. 😕 I was supposed to use my right hand to grab her right wrist. 'it worked when we did it on the course, my partner let go straight away'. I'm not even going to mention the knife defences.....

One thing that is never taught on any self defence course I've seen is listening to your gut. This is important, if it feels wrong, it is and you need to get out of where you are. Too often women especially knew something was wrong, whether it was body language, the situation or just something they couldn't put their finger on but they disregarded it, perhaps so as not to appear rude or strange. Never ignore that feeling, this is something children need to be taught as well.

There's a lot that can be done in self defence for everyone but while these BS courses are taught people especially women aren't safe, they are full of false confidence about what they can do, it can in extreme cases allow people to take risks they should not.

You are just describing the difference between crappy and good martial arts.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Literally nothing in that changes the fact that sometimes people just aren't interested, and your presentation here suggests you become more forceful when someone expresses disagreement (not inherently a bad thing), which makes most folks less interested in the topic if it's a casual thing to them.
I guess you just don't comprehend what I said and ACQUIRED interest or you have your mind made up and didn't even read my long post.

You people put things in my mouth, I did not force anyone, I present to them, it's up to them to pick it up. I present all things to my grand daughter when she was very young, I also played stuffed animals with her. In fact, that is really our thing, I actually like stuffed animals. I SLEEP with stuff bears every night between me and my wife. I don't play man and woman, just whatever I/we like. I know cooking and I am the better cook of the family and entertain them. I can sew if my life depends on it. I set the example myself. this is my 4 bears, I am into cane fighting, so are they!!
4 bears.jpg

DIVERSITY and open mind to try is the key. AND never too old to learn new things!!! I retired 17 years already. I just studied C++ programming from a huge book from cover to cover. Nothing comfortable, nothing that I like about it. I just did because it's the most difficult programming language and it's essential to learn in today's world.....even though I am retired. You stay in the comfort zone, you go NOWHERE. Men should learn interests of women and women should learn interest from men.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If more women are like this, men will think twice before assaulting a woman.

Women don't have to learn any specific style, just learn something, go to the gym and do some weight lifting and get strong. All the martial arts don't mean a thing if one doesn't have the strength.

Most woman beaters don't learn MA, just a little training for a woman will go a long way in protecting herself. I feel just as strongly for women to be strong as I learn how to cook, clean and do all the work that women "supposed" to do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you just don't comprehend what I said and ACQUIRED interest or you have your mind made up and didn't even read my long post.

You people put things in my mouth, I did not force anyone, I present to them, it's up to them to pick it up. I present all things to my grand daughter when she was very young, I also played stuffed animals with her. In fact, that is really our thing, I actually like stuffed animals. I SLEEP with stuff bears every night between me and my wife. I don't play man and woman, just whatever I/we like. I know cooking and I am the better cook of the family and entertain them. I can sew if my life depends on it. I set the example myself. this is my 4 bears, I am into cane fighting, so are they!!
View attachment 26907

DIVERSITY and open mind to try is the key. AND never too old to learn new things!!! I retired 17 years already. I just studied C++ programming from a huge book from cover to cover. Nothing comfortable, nothing that I like about it. I just did because it's the most difficult programming language and it's essential to learn in today's world.....even though I am retired. You stay in the comfort zone, you go NOWHERE. Men should learn interests of women and women should learn interest from men.
And really none of that is relevant to my post. You’re getting more forceful with each response, but not really communicating.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And really none of that is relevant to my post. You’re getting more forceful with each response, but not really communicating.
It is absolutely relevant, you all accused me of forcing women to learn, that if they don't like it, it's wrong to keep talking to them. My point is interested are ACQUIRED, until you give it a try, you never know. ALSO, the importance to learn things that one is not comfortable in all the examples I gave. These all goes hand in hand.

Back to just self defense, if a woman feel so angry about what I said, don't learn it, BUT DON'T EVER come crying how man abusing her later. She had her choice and she proudly rejected learning because it's too violent. It's her responsibility for her own miss fortune then.

I am absolutely stunned, stunned people here don't want to encourage women to learn self defense. I guess people here want women to be weak and forever under the thumb of men.

Read my posts again, it's all about empowering women to be strong.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's her responsibility for her own miss fortune then.
Nope. It's still on the guy.

Sure, she might have been able to do something to improve her chance of fighting back, but NOT abusing here (or whatever else) is the responsibility of the guy. 100%

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sure, she might have been able to do something to improve her chance of fighting back, but NOT abusing here (or whatever else) is the responsibility of the guy. 100%

Nope.

The responsibility for self defense training. And everything that comes with that is on the person providing it and the person doing it.

This should not be confused with suggesting rapists should rape. Which weirdly becomes the case.

And while the rapist is definitely at fault. The spanner in the works of that idea is I don't think they care.

And this is the difference between something being not your fault and not your problem.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

But still the woman got abused. Why are you so against convincing woman to learn self defense?

Nobody said it's the woman's fault, BUT it sure is her responsibility for her to put in the effort to get stronger.

Hell, I am putting in a lot of effort learning stick fight even I am 68. BLM is singling out Chinese to attack particularly the old ones. I can go cry foul, demonstrate and all that. BUT instead, I am DOING MY PART to get better odds to protect myself and my family by putting a lot of hours in stick fight the last 3 months and still going strong. It is WEAK to be a victim and say "pretty please, respect me and don't hurt me". I'd ask them to leave me alone when they are lying flat on the ground.

This is call DOING my part for my own safety. It is ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT who's fault is it. You think I like to spend all the extra hours practicing a new skill on top of my regular exercise? I sure don't like it. I just have to over come my feeling and just do it. Is it so hard to understand? That each one of us ARE RESPONSIBLE for our own well being and SACRIFICE to learn something?

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, where to start.

Females are abused in many ways, they are fondled on public transport, wolf shifted at in the street, men pinch and slap their backsides, girls in school have their bra straps pulled, there's upskirting, lewd comments made to female runners, and much much more. This is excused as 'boys being boys' by many people. This needs to stop. It won't as long as it's enabled y politicians, so called celebrities and public figures. It's insidious, women have put up with it silently for centuries, they have been blamed for centuries, it's not boys fault girls cause them to lose all sense of decency. 😕 'males have needs, girls shouldn't tempt them' 'women shouldn't wear shorts skirts if they don't want men to touch them'. 'women say no it mean yes'. That unbelievably is still doing the rounds..
Rape by a stranger is relatively rare, 90% of sexual assaults are committed by someone known to the victim. Rape is rarely about sex, it's about humiliating the victim and having power over them, random tapes are also rare, victims are picked out and attacked in such a way fighting them off is difficult. Date rape as it's called, often the victim is drugged so no chance to fight at all. Girls are warned about this but like when we teach 'stranger danger' to children, this focuses them on strangers not people they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions