Wish Me Luck....

OP
B

bluespacething

Congratulations! Sounds like it was a pretty rigorous test....sounds like a fun break though. :)

OP
L

Llarion

Tkang_TKD said:
Success! :) My testing went quite well this afternoon. It wasn't flawless, but is was probably the best testing I've had to date.

I was particularly strong with my poomse, and with my double and triple techniques, despite the bad ankle.

My break was awesome! Jump-spinning side kick from about 6 inches from the board (from my lead shoulder to the board). Break was with 1" thick pine.

I did pay a bit of a price though. I did re-sprain my ankle, and I feel the pain from the ankle, up through my shin, and into the lower part of my knee.

I'll have to take a week off probably to let it heal. But I think it was worth it :)
Wow, that's a lot harder than my recent test was; mine was only bad because I was the only mid belt testing, and 5 9th gups testing for 8th. We did them first, I proctored their stepping motion, and then I had to do my whole test without breaks (well, one board break, but.. :) ) I'm asthmatic, so my endurance is for crap, and it was torture. Congratulations on your endurance and skill, and especially your perseverance through your injury! May it heal completely, and quickly!

Tang Soo!

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

bluespacething said:
Congratulations! Sounds like it was a pretty rigorous test....sounds like a fun break though. :)
The break was awesome! The jump-spinning side kick is one of my favorite kicks to execute, so when I was told to break with it, I was just salivating :)

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Llarion said:
Wow, that's a lot harder than my recent test was; mine was only bad because I was the only mid belt testing, and 5 9th gups testing for 8th. We did them first, I proctored their stepping motion, and then I had to do my whole test without breaks (well, one board break, but.. :) ) I'm asthmatic, so my endurance is for crap, and it was torture. Congratulations on your endurance and skill, and especially your perseverance through your injury! May it heal completely, and quickly!

Tang Soo!
Wow! I can understand what it's like to be the only one testing at a rank. You kinda become the center of attention, whether you want to be or not ;)

I think I developed my sense of perseverence from my wife, who is a black belt. I was there through the whole 5 hours of her testing, and to me she is the most amazing person!

You see, my wife suffers from a disease called sarcoid, which has taken it's toll on her physically, as well as emotionally. She spends so much of her time in pain, or short of breath. But when she tested for blackbelt, she wouldn't have it any other way than to be graded as any other student (even those 1/3rd of her age). She has been my inspiration whenever I've felt that I couldn't continue, or that I was not in good enough shape to do what I needed to do. After witnessing her strength and perseverence, I realized that I could learn alot. At any rate, she continues to be my inspiration :)

Now if I could only get used to the idea of bowing to her everytime we're in class ;)

OP
L

Llarion

Tkang_TKD said:
Wow! I can understand what it's like to be the only one testing at a rank. You kinda become the center of attention, whether you want to be or not ;)

I think I developed my sense of perseverence from my wife, who is a black belt. I was there through the whole 5 hours of her testing, and to me she is the most amazing person!

You see, my wife suffers from a disease called sarcoid, which has taken it's toll on her physically, as well as emotionally. She spends so much of her time in pain, or short of breath. But when she tested for blackbelt, she wouldn't have it any other way than to be graded as any other student (even those 1/3rd of her age). She has been my inspiration whenever I've felt that I couldn't continue, or that I was not in good enough shape to do what I needed to do. After witnessing her strength and perseverence, I realized that I could learn alot. At any rate, she continues to be my inspiration :)

Now if I could only get used to the idea of bowing to her everytime we're in class ;)
Trust me, if you MEAN that bow; it'll probably take you far when outside school... ;)

Seriously, that's very cool. She sounds like a great lady; I admire her tenacity. Must be nice to have a teacher and sparring partner right in the house!

I gotta learn a jump-spin side kick. I can't seem to get my body around the physics of it, the landing worries me. The only jump spin kick I can do well is, oddly enough, a hard one; from a horse stance, a jump spinning outside in (inside crescent) with the front leg (a full rotation; it's a decoy, it looks like it's gonna be a spinning hook with the back leg, but you use it as a fulcrum and whip the other one around. I learned it because it's part of a sequence in The Octagon that I worked on for a long time. Kinda dopey I suppose, but it's sure fun to do; when you look like I do (R2D2 with glasses and a moustache/beard), people underestimate you, they don't think you are quick or can move at all. I have to be, because I don't have endurance.

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Llarion said:
Trust me, if you MEAN that bow; it'll probably take you far when outside school... ;)

Seriously, that's very cool. She sounds like a great lady; I admire her tenacity. Must be nice to have a teacher and sparring partner right in the house!

I gotta learn a jump-spin side kick. I can't seem to get my body around the physics of it, the landing worries me. The only jump spin kick I can do well is, oddly enough, a hard one; from a horse stance, a jump spinning outside in (inside crescent) with the front leg (a full rotation; it's a decoy, it looks like it's gonna be a spinning hook with the back leg, but you use it as a fulcrum and whip the other one around. I learned it because it's part of a sequence in The Octagon that I worked on for a long time. Kinda dopey I suppose, but it's sure fun to do; when you look like I do (R2D2 with glasses and a moustache/beard), people underestimate you, they don't think you are quick or can move at all. I have to be, because I don't have endurance.
The mechanics of the jump-spinning side kick is pretty simple. Essentially, you are just turning, and doing a rear-leg side kick, but with a jump. Hopefully, I can give you a good mental picture:

1. From a front stance (left leg leading), pivot on the ball of your left foot. This should have your left foot facing the rear, with your right foot also facing the rear, no more than shoulder width apart.

2. You should be looking over your right shoulder to target your strike. As you give a little jump (straight up), chamber your right leg, and kick toward the center of your target.

3. After kicking, you should land in a front stance, with your right leg facing forward.

Practice each motion of the technique as a separate individual motion, until you have the basic mechanics of the kick down. Once you have that, you can start adding a little speed and power. But take it slow. You won't develop a powerful jump spinning side kick over night. I worked on it about an hour a day for nearly a year before I got really comfortable with it, and now it seem like one of the easier techniques for me to execute :D

Good luck :asian: Hope this helps.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on the ankle thing...it may seem kind of odd...but try a chiropractor....i sprained my ankle about 4 years ago...bad...and i resprained it the summer before last...and didn't do much but rest it for a while.....but it still kinda bothered me...so about 4 months later i went to a chiropractor and he did some good work....

be careful...chiropractors can be addictive...snap, crackle, pop...

"man that felt good"

"alright...we're gonna need to come back next week then..."

Latest Discussions