Wish Me Luck....

T

Tkang_TKD

Saturday Morning, I take my brown belt test (2nd Gup). Hopefully, everything is going to go well. I do have a slightly sprained ankle, but I think I'll make it through the pain :)

The test should take about 1.5 hours, and will include poomse, sparring, oral knowledge exam, and many, many kicking techniques.

I'll report back here tomorrow after all is said and done :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck and let us know how it turned out. Post some of your requirements for us if you would. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believe in luck go out and do your techniques and you'll do just fine and ace that exam... GOD BLESS AMERICA

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

jfarnsworth said:
Good luck and let us know how it turned out. Post some of your requirements for us if you would. :)
Some of the general knowledge requirements:

Reciting our school rules
Our Student Creed
Tenets of Taekwondo
Meaning of Taekwondo
Essential Elements of Taekwondo

Physical requirements:

Punching Techniques (double, triple punches in whatever sequence the examiner requires)

Kicking Techniques (Basic Kicks)

Special Kicking Techniques (Double, Triple, Spinning, Jumping; All in whatever combinations the examiner requires)

Free Sparring against single or multiple attackers

1 Board Break using examiners choice of technique (we don't practice breaking, but for the most part that has never stopped me from completing a break).

Palqwe 7/Taeguek 7 (both forms, either freeform, or executing each movement of the forms upon the examiners kiap).

Any Palgwe/Taeguek poomse from 1-6 (examiners choice; may be omitted by examiner)

That's everything I can remember. There might be a few other requirements, but that is the the meat of it. I'm all exited. It's not even 7 am and I'm already up :) I was gonna try to sleep in till 8, but I guess that is not going to happent this morning.

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Success! :) My testing went quite well this afternoon. It wasn't flawless, but is was probably the best testing I've had to date.

I was particularly strong with my poomse, and with my double and triple techniques, despite the bad ankle.

My break was awesome! Jump-spinning side kick from about 6 inches from the board (from my lead shoulder to the board). Break was with 1" thick pine.

I did pay a bit of a price though. I did re-sprain my ankle, and I feel the pain from the ankle, up through my shin, and into the lower part of my knee.

I'll have to take a week off probably to let it heal. But I think it was worth it :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations Tkang_TKD. I am glad everything went well for you. Take care of your ankle and if in a week it doesn't feel better, go get it checked out. Nothing worse then something becoming chronic because it wasn't looked after.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
very nice job, ice the ankle and get back in there.... GOD BLESS AMERICA

OP
M

MikeMartial

Congrats, Thomas!

Give yourself some downtime for that ankle, you've earned it!

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Zepp said:
Congratulations! I hope that ankle heals quick.

Just out of curiousity, did you hurt it on the landing?
No, I actually hurt it sparring a week ago. I'm not even really sure just how it happened, but I put my foot down after throwing a kick, and it was too tender to bear weight.

I wrapped it, and iced it, and then wrapped it again for classes during the week. I felt that it would hold out for testing, so I decided I would still test, despite the injury.

Right now, most of the pain has subsided, but I'll still be getting it checked. I don't know if it's a tendon problem, or if I may have a slight stress fracture or what.

The break didn't really affect the injury, as I broke with my heal as opposed to the knife edge of my foot.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Tkang_TKD said:
No, I actually hurt it sparring a week ago. I'm not even really sure just how it happened, but I put my foot down after throwing a kick, and it was too tender to bear weight....

...Right now, most of the pain has subsided, but I'll still be getting it checked. I don't know if it's a tendon problem, or if I may have a slight stress fracture or what.

Know how that feels. It should heal fairly quickly if you keep taking care of it. Last time I hurt my ankle in a similar way, I made a point of slowly rolling my ankle around every so often when I was sitting down. That seemed to take some of the tension off of it and made it feel a little better. I like to think it also strengthed the tendons somewhat.

Congrats again on the test. :)

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Congrats on the test.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Thank you all for all your support :asian: I really appreciate it. It seems that my ankle will be ok. I just need to rest it for a few days.

Again, thanks for the support and well wishes :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tkang_TKD said:
Success! :) My testing went quite well this afternoon. It wasn't flawless, but is was probably the best testing I've had to date.

I was particularly strong with my poomse, and with my double and triple techniques, despite the bad ankle.

My break was awesome! Jump-spinning side kick from about 6 inches from the board (from my lead shoulder to the board). Break was with 1" thick pine.

I did pay a bit of a price though. I did re-sprain my ankle, and I feel the pain from the ankle, up through my shin, and into the lower part of my knee.

I'll have to take a week off probably to let it heal. But I think it was worth it :)

Congrats and take care of the ankle!!! :partyon:

OP
R

rainbows

Congrats! I just passed 2nd gup (red belt in my system) there yesterday too!
My legs hurt like hell...

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

rainbows said:
Congrats! I just passed 2nd gup (red belt in my system) there yesterday too!
My legs hurt like hell...
Congrats! I know how you feel....My ankle is still killin me, and it's been almost 2 weeks since I tested :(

Latest Discussions