Wingtsun DVD

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know where to get wingtsun full system on DVD?

I have seen that Sifu Niko has done a DVD serie, but is not offering the full system.

Does anyone know if there is someone out there who does offer the complete system on DVD?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

SuitableScroll

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest doing the online course through wing chun university, rather than dvd's but if you want to do it by dvd I'd definitely suggest studying under Samuel Kwoks dvd's

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking for see where to get the complete system on dvd, mainly for viewing pleasure..and main interest is the wingtsun curriculum.

However, do you know where you can buy Samuel kwoks version of wing chun, full curriculum, step by step with applications etc..?

Thanks,
Scott

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks suitable scroll, I will definitely take a closer look at that! Is that the whole system with applications?

Thanks again, I'm very happy you sent me that link!

Scott

SuitableScroll

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No problem! Yes, that is the whole system with applications. I believe he has some other dvds but this is the main system with all the applications :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Scott, you said you wanted the whole Wingtsun system on DVD. That would be Leung Ting's system. Within that "WT" system there are two approaches to teaching, the "Hong Kong" version and the EWTO (European WingTsun Organization) version, ...or a mixture of the two. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any DVDs commercially available with the whole curriculum (either version). There were some posts on various forums a couple of years back by some former EWTO people who were supposedly going to release that info free, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Personally, I can only get so much from videos and books. And that's after training personally with Leung Ting for a good while. Sure I'd like to have a good set of all the stuff on video ...for reference. But you can't learn WC/VT/WT that way. So what's your motivation?

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi geezer,

Exactly as you write yourself, for viewing reference and pleasure really..

I have seen Sifu Nikos trailers and they look really well shot and detailed, so I will probably get them, even though it stops at biu tze 3rd section chi sao so far. I do believe he will continue making these videos though.

And I believe he is on his own now, but been with Leung Ting organization most of his life.

Like you, I too find it hard to find information on the whole curriculum, but times are changing, so perhaps there are more people out there with the complete system..

So I'm looking, and eventually I believe I cans find what I'm looking for..

Thanks,
Scott

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like you, I too find it hard to find information on the whole curriculum, but times are changing, so perhaps there are more people out there with the complete system..

are you trying to get the whole system, without LEARNING the whole system? It sounds like you are interested in a video collection. I guess that's OK in a way but I wonder to what real purpose?

And don't be surprised if you cannot get the entire system on video. A whole lot of systems do not exist on video because the idea is that you need to learn this stuff from a good sifu, and you only know what you've learned. If sifu hasn't taught part of it to you yet, then there's no reason for you to know it, or even know what it looks like. That's just the learning process.

It's kinda like, if you haven't learned algebra yet, then poking around in calculus is pretty pointless. Knowing what it looks like, i.e. knowing what caluculus equations look like, doesn't really give you anything at all, if you haven't yet learned the calculus that they represent, and what they mean.

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks,
I appreciate your input.

I just really would like to know where to get the entire system. Don't want to get in to any discussion whether its possible to learn from a dvd or not..

So, if anyone can help me with this, I would be very happy.

Thanks,
Scott

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
... Something strange is afoot...

I if you want veiwing pleaure, go to youtube. You can find more in depth stuff for free rather than the very bland teaching of DVD's, but honestly it sounds like you want to learn from dvd's by the way you pose questions. It's not gonna work.

But again, don't go for DVD's, go to youtube, and download the clips if viewing pleasure is what your really after.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
... Something strange is afoot...

I if you want veiwing pleaure, go to youtube. You can find more in depth stuff for free rather than the very bland teaching of DVD's, but honestly it sounds like you want to learn from dvd's by the way you pose questions. It's not gonna work.

But again, don't go for DVD's, go to youtube, and download the clips if viewing pleasure is what your really after.

oh, I agree. But as he said earlier, he doesn't want to have that discussion. That tells me a lot, really. And on that note, I've got nothing to suggest to him.

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly how it's not possible to post something without being accused of having a hidden agenda.. thats sad really..!

Anyways, if you don't have anything valuable to add to this thread, please don't. And thanks to the ones who did. If there is more people who can chip in with some good suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks
Scott

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interestingly how it's not possible to post something without being accused of having a hidden agenda.. thats sad really..!

Anyways, if you don't have anything valuable to add to this thread, please don't. And thanks to the ones who did. If there is more people who can chip in with some good suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks
Scott

I don't think the agenda is hidden at all.

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, then I misunderstood you. So unless you are being ironic now, then I'm very sorry.

And thanks for your input.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what I mean is, it seems clear to me that you want to learn the system from a DVD program, even tho you don't want to have that discussion. I wouldn't say that's a hidden agenda; rather it is obvious that is what you are after.

That's a topic that's been discussed a lot here, and some pretty knowledgeable people can help you understand the pitfalls in that approach (it's got a lot of 'em). But you don't want to discuss it. OK, it's a bad route to take, but it's also a free country and you can pursue your interest in any way you feel is appropriate.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interestingly how it's not possible to post something without being accused of having a hidden agenda.. thats sad really... Scott

Scott, I think the real question is, "what do you want to get out of the DVDs?" Especially since no two lineages teach the same way. Even within the WingTsun system and its offshoots, the general instructional framework may be the similar, but there is considerable variation in the detais and execution of the material. And typically the last material covered, the long pole and bart cham dao, is only taught at master level. After all these years, I only have about half the Bart Cham Dao set and I haven't practiced that in a long time (since I favor Escrima for practical weapons training). It has good footwork though.

Now if you are just interested in collecting a library of drills, go to Everything Wing Chun. Several people have DVD bundled sets covering all the WT Chi-sau sets which you can buy for around $300:

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Sifu-Taner-Sifu-Graziano-Chi-Sao-DVD-Set-p/bundle-tg1.htm
http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Bundle-Sifu-Niko-Wing-Tsun-DVD-Set-Interm-p/bundle-dvd-nc02.htm

....or try Sifu Sergio's big set for around $800:

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Bundle-Sifu-Sergio-Chi-Sao-DVD-Collection-p/bundle-si2.htm

I'm sure just these will provide you with hours and hours ...and hours of viewing. Certainly more than I could handle, and definitely more than I would be willing to pay for. Is it the "complete system" No. But then what is the "complete system"...and whose "complete system"? Moot question even if you specify a particular lineage and master since I don't know of anybody who's put absolutely everything they know out there for sale. And if they did, could you really "get it" from DVDs?

Nothing more to say, really. Good luck. If you find a really good set of tapes, feel free to post back with a review. :wink2:

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying cane, I find it quite extremely odd to be called a liar in my own thread, when I have clearly stated what I want AND why I want it (even though I definitely don't have to answer to anyone here). I don't expect anyone to agree with me on anything l, but I don't like to be called a liar. I would appreciate if you don't reply to more in this thread, since you obviously don't have anything helpful to say.

OP
S

scott

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Geezer,

Thanks for your input, that I can actually use. And I do agree that you can't learn wingchun from any books or videos. They can give you some viewing pleasure and I do believe they can be beneficial as an extra way to to study each movement that you have learned with an instructor.

I really enjoy watching different materials art instructions, boxing matches, UFC etc..and I'm a bit of a collector as well ;-)

So once again thanks, and I will check out the material you have mentioned.

Thanks Geezer!
Scott