Hi, I'm a beginner at WingTsun and these forums...

A

Aleem

I didn't know where to post first. I thought I'd post here with fellow WingTsun practitioners. I have an unbelievable amount of questions regarding WingTsun, self-defense, etc. I hope I don't ask overly-confused or stupid questions. I've only been doing WingTsun at University for 2 months. That's 16 lessons so far I think.

I'm willing to be patient with it, but with only 3 years at University, I don't know how far I could take my training for WingTsun (with respects to improving my self-defense). Could anyone please give me a general time-frame for what can potentially be achieved in 45 lessons per year (over 3 years)? I spend 28 weeks at home during holidays from university, which means I lose out critically on constant training (there are no WingTsun lessons for atleast 150 miles here). I guess what I'm trying to ask is, that with respects to competence in ability to defend myself in a street-situation against 1 assailent, how much can WingTsun potentially help me?

So far the lessons have been really disparate. The only thing I'm doing at the moment is the Siu Nim Tao. I've got 4 weeks of holidays with no teacher or partners. Any pointers as to what I could do to make the most of this time?

Like I said, apologies for very confused questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

p.s. I'm Aleem, 19, very thin (and physically quite weak) - WingTsun is my first ever experience of any martial arts.

p.p.s. I might as well ask this now. My primary motive for learning WingTsun is for self-defense. However, I realise that for me to be able to use it well, it might take very long; is there any disadvantage to me also taking up something like KickBoxing on the side, to maybe condition myself against blows, etc? The university also runs Kickboxing, Jujutsu and WuShuKwan (chinese kickboxing I think???) classes. Could these help me with self-defense? Would it be advisable to do something like Kickboxing in parallel to something like WingTsun?

Thank you very much!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of the MartialTalk staff, allow me to be the first to welcome you to the boards! Its good to have you here, there is much knowledge and information at your disposal here. Feel free to post and read as much as you like, and ask any questions you have.

- MT Mod -
Adam C
7sm

Simple answer:

The potential of any martial arts rests in you. What you do over the weeks or months you are away from class is what will determine your potential and your skill.

There are millions of opinions on "cross training" or training in different styles, do a serach on the forum as a whole and you will see many discussions regarding this idea.

Flash25

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Aleem. Where do you study? I'm assuming that since you use the spelling WingTsun that you study the Leung Ting system. My advice to you would be to concentrate on your aduction stance and the Siu Nim Tau. You can practice chain puches to get your arm strength up, but the Siu Nim Tau is your primary focus. It is full of hidden gems that are quite useful in self-defense. The character two aduction stance is also vital. You will find that things will come much easier if you have a proper stance.

Good Luck,

Ben

OP
A

Aleem

Thanks very much for the advice Starmantis and Flash. It seems that due to our classes being for absolute beginners, the instructors are leaving out a lot of terminology - or maybe our terminology differs. Aye, I'm practicing my Siu Nim Tao these days, and chainpunching too. I was wondering whether chain-punching in the air is effective to begin with? Would it be better for me to hit something e.g. punchbag, to improve my chainpunching?

Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the aduction stance. We probably have done this in classes, but my teachers will have given it no name, as far as I know. If you could expand please, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Aleem.

p.s. Just found the website for our organisation. Yes, its Leung Ting WingTsun. There are varying lineages within WingTsun too? Are they radically different, may I ask?

Flash25

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well Aleem,

The aduction stance is the one you get into when performing the SNT. Concentrate on maintaining a good stance throughout the form. A good aduction stance strengthens all other techniques. If you don't have it already, you should pick up GM Leung Ting's SNT book. It helps clarify many things.

As far as chain punching in the air goes, yes it is a good idea. It it through chain punching in the air, among other techniques, that you develop the explosive power of WT. The reason for this is that you allow your joints to stretch. When I say stretch I do not mean in a hyper-extended manner. Your elbows should not bend backwards. I am referring to the ability of your arm to extend past its normal reach. GM Leung Ting can hit an object that is several inches farther than his out stretched hand with a punch. He can do his because his joints have a sort of elasticity. Free punching helps develop this.

Regards,

Ben

P.S.

With whom and where do you study? I may have met your teacher before.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aleem said:
p.p.s. I might as well ask this now. My primary motive for learning WingTsun is for self-defense. However, I realise that for me to be able to use it well, it might take very long; is there any disadvantage to me also taking up something like KickBoxing on the side, to maybe condition myself against blows, etc? The university also runs Kickboxing, Jujutsu and WuShuKwan (chinese kickboxing I think???) classes. Could these help me with self-defense? Would it be advisable to do something like Kickboxing in parallel to something like WingTsun?

Hey There,

Myself, I would lay off of any other classes for a bit. The emphasis in any style of Wing Chun (no matter the spelling) is going to be extremely different from Kickboxing, even somewhat antithetical. Since this is your first experience in the martial arts, I would suggest that you give the class some time before you try anything else out. A year would be a good amount of time to abstain from outside training. You will most likely live a long time, so one year of dedication is small over the long run. If you want to get in better shape I would suggest running and weightlifting over another martial art for the time being. I felt that it took about six to eight months for me to be able to feel somewhat confident in defending myself with Wing Chun. Looking back, I believe that I would have been able to after a much shorter time.

Much depends on what your teacher is teaching you and how they are doing it. You should express your feelings to your teacher and discuss with them how you are progressing.

Good luck.

OP
A

Aleem

Thanks very much Flash and Bart, for your advice. Aye, I'm willing to give WingTsun primary commitment - I suppose I was just worried that I'm not naturally "hardened up" - plus, the way things are in my town, its quite imperative that I can defend myself to SOME extent. I used to be able to run away but now that I've got a torn cartlidge, I have to await treatment. The only thing that I can do at the moment is WingTsun; its not too hard on my legs ( at least thus far, and my teacher's understanding about how much I'm willing to put in, considering my injury ). I think I was being a bit too impatient with my progress so far... but then again, I've only been to 16 lessons so far :).

Flash, I began WingTsun in october with Sifus (is that the correct term?) Ross Seargent and Lol Sullivan - they run classes for APU and Cambridge Universities too - those are the one's I'm attending. Very nice people, friendly, helpful.

http://www.cambridgewingtsun.co.uk/main/camwt/instructors/ross
http://www.cambridgewingtsun.co.uk/main/camwt/instructors/lol

Thank you for your advice, Flash and Bart.

takecare

Aleem

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi aleem, i study and assist in teaching wing chun in the south west of the UK, i know a fair ammount of people around the uk and could probably help in hooking you up with practicioners, schools and teachers. am i right in assuming you study at cambridge but will be living elsewhere at times during your study and when you finish your degree, if so where is that?

What i will say is a lot of the training is down to you, your sifu will give you something to learn you have to take something away to work on. Its a long road but its one that you travel over a lifetime, its understandable that you are eager to learn and its admirable but enjoy the journey at a fair pace, don't get ahead of yourself. Just use your three years to gain a solid ground work in vingtsun, if it really fits with you you will find a way of doing it always. Good luck with your training and enjoy it, give me a shout if there is anything at all i can help you with.

OP
A

Aleem

Thanks very very much Ed. Yeah my only worry seemed to have been the fact that I'm at university for only 24 weeks of the year, and back home (Middlesbrough, North-east of England) for 28 weeks (veryyyyy long holidays). In these holidays, I have no partner and as far as I can see, there are no WingTsun clubs or anything of the sort around. My main worry is that if I'm left alone for long periods of time to practice my WingTsun then I might form bad habits and not progress as consistently as I would like.

Thanks very much for the help; if I have more problems I hope you don't mind if I give you a shout - by the looks of it, WingTsun is excellent and it really seems to fit what I want to do, and the way in which I want to do it. The only problem I'm having is with the logistics, the practicalities, namely that I have limited contact with my Sifus and once I'm back in Middlesbrough (northeast england) - I'm completely on my own.

Thanks and takecare,

Aleem :D

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aleem said:
Thanks very very much Ed. Yeah my only worry seemed to have been the fact that I'm at university for only 24 weeks of the year, and back home (Middlesbrough, North-east of England) for 28 weeks (veryyyyy long holidays). In these holidays, I have no partner and as far as I can see, there are no WingTsun clubs or anything of the sort around. My main worry is that if I'm left alone for long periods of time to practice my WingTsun then I might form bad habits and not progress as consistently as I would like.

Thanks very much for the help; if I have more problems I hope you don't mind if I give you a shout - by the looks of it, WingTsun is excellent and it really seems to fit what I want to do, and the way in which I want to do it. The only problem I'm having is with the logistics, the practicalities, namely that I have limited contact with my Sifus and once I'm back in Middlesbrough (northeast england) - I'm completely on my own.

Thanks and takecare,

Aleem :D
well there is a few schools in gateshead, and newcastle upon tyne if you could travel there when you are home, and once you are there you may find other people who travel there so you could find a training partner with a closer proximity. Feel free to give me a shout any time.

Latest Discussions