Wing Chun - Wooden Dummy or Bob Dummy?

jergar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying that the WC dummy is good to train defense (such as how to block a punch), and not good to train offense (such as how to knock your opponent down)?

- WC talks about Tan Shou, Fu Shou, Bon Shou (defense skill).
- Boxing talks about jab, cross, hook, uppercut (offense skill).

Why?
Since the wing chun dummy is stationary and your not , you can practice stepping on 45 degree angles to the outside or straight in , block and strike. Of course your not going to knock it down, but there is a leg do you could practice leg sweeps on . You know it’s for solo training and it has its place but doesn’t replace a good work out partner. Depends on your training goals I guess.

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I have had both but probably the best training aid besides a partner is a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood with vener surface. Just slap some sticky sander pads on it on the six gates and lean it against the wall. You will end up using it about 6 months till your comfortable with sticking at the points and doing your form to the points then you can get rid of it. The dummy and Bob are great conventional peices if you entertain guests in which a dummy offers alot more wow. But as for training there both extremely limited in terms of working drills sets etc.. as your kung-fu grows you will learn double handed exercises where say your doing lap sau and Fook sau double jut sau to lap sau Fook sau on the other side. A dummy isn't going to ever be straight on and you can't even do the technique on a bag. So I'd say it's a conventional peice to have either because once you start working fighting techniques and blending the forms together and creating structures that merge all the training devices are like lifting cardboard boxes there weird heavy and not ergonomically designed for the purpose. But starting out we all have this fantasy of shaw brothers movies that some implement is going to make us part of the five deadly venoms but the truth is not as fascinating as the fiction.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since the wing chun dummy is stationary and your not , you can practice stepping on 45 degree angles to the outside or straight in , block and strike. Of course your not going to knock it down, but there is a leg do you could practice leg sweeps on . You know it’s for solo training and it has its place but doesn’t replace a good work out partner. Depends on your training goals I guess.
I may be the first person who owned a WC dummy in Texas. Back in 1973, I found a telephone pole. I put it on a spring and set on a metal plate. I then used rubber to build the body and head. I even put some fur around the chest so I could punch on it with full power. It cost me about $300 to build my WC dummy back in 1973.

I like the WC dummy leg training. When I run my shinbone into the leg of my WC dummy, it was a great feeling. For the arm training, I can use downward parry, punch, or switch hands punch. Since I put rubber around the head of my WC dummy, I could punch with full power. Even today, I still don't understand why the WC dummy doesn't have rubber outside layer on it.

One day I tried to fix some water leak on the roof. Someone broke into my Kung Fu school. He kneed down in front of my WC dummy in my Kung Fu school. He thought that was the God that I worship in my Kung Fu school (my WC dummy was huge). My Kung Fu school was just 2 blocks away from the Austin Mental hospital (the same place as the TKD master Jhoon Rhee had his 1st TKD school in Austin, Tx).

Last edited:

Cragrat

White Belt
Reaction score
If someone was wanting to learn and practice Wing Chun at home due to the Covid lockdown. If you could only buy one or the other which would you think is the better option to buy for yourself and why?

Either a Wing Chun wooden Dummy
Or
A Freestanding Bob Boxing Dummy.

I am asking as I am tooing and frowing between which to buy. I can only afford, and only have the space for one but I am not sure which to get.
Don't know if this is too late or if it helps but here is my opinion. As some have stated , if you want to learn Wing Chun get the Mook Jong. This teaches you angulation and footwork. You can also develop your impact levels to softer means of entry and finally learn to work more close quarter. Study any info well if you train alone and take your time to develop skill. Hope this helps

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since the post was a response to the OP, I suspect the “you” in question was also the OP. Your personal focus needn’t be the same.
well yeah...but if i want to utilize my time to the max i will not waste time on training i deem not necessary for real outside fighting. as far as conditioning forearms goes i train with weights & do heavy lifting. Forearms with Barbell reverse curls.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well yeah...but if i want to utilize my time to the max i will not waste time on training i deem not necessary for real outside fighting. as far as conditioning forearms goes i train with weights & do heavy lifting. Forearms with Barbell reverse curls.
Sure. And exactly none of that relates to the question of the OP.