Empty Hand & Knife

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It might look standard, and it might look really bizarre... until we get him to post a video we'll never know. What's worse, well be back to watching Futsao's videos. I want to see something completely different!

BTW @DANNY: You had me pegged. I absolutely do not know how to post a video. I don't even make videos ...yet.
----------------------------------------------
Oh oh

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. Simple question. This is pretty typical Wing Chun. Would you do this if that was a quick thrust with a knife rather than a jab?

No. You are doing the same double dip action you were referencing before hitting the guy. In the first action 'if' I were to go to the inside I would Bil Da striking the guy not trapping his hand. That is a wasted motion. Trapping for the sake of trapping. I don't feel it is something I would do.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about this one? Would you do the same if this was a slash with a knife rather than a hook punch?

Again no.
A tan presented as shone in this video vs a strong committed tight hook will get your bell rung and if it is with a knife you will now have a handle sticking out of your head. Timing is very important and if your actions are all timing dependent or speed dependent you will get caught. No I would not use the tan in this manner. Now what Sifu Peterson did do, that I believe I would do, is counter attacked simultaneously. For safety he palmed the students chest. He did not go to trap his opposite hand.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Danny, I see that your FMA background is Pekiti which is about as blade oriented as it gets. My Latosa Escrima background probably has a heavier emphasis on stick-work, but one of the guys I train under in DTE has a solid Pekiti background and I've been intrigued by some of the similarities between the arts, ...his stance turning for example, and some of the passing movements that compare to a flowing version of WC tan or gaun, and so on.

Still the way it is applied is quite different from basic WC, as it has to be. I think that is what has me a little confused. Like KPM, I don't think the core of WC is a blade art. On the other hand, it does share concepts and ways of moving that lead me to believe that at an advanced level, the transition from H2H to blade defense could work well, but not without some significant adjustments.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It comes down to nuance a bit.. So I imagine he concept is that you are halfway into a fight when you realise you have been stabbed and not punched. And how has wing chun against an empty hand attack protected you.

And I would go for yeah.sort of. I mean you are not focusing on the knife or stripping. But you are keeping a bit of distance between the knife and your body.

So not as dedicated as a knife system. But a jack of all trades knife would probably fit.

And from there you have to make a personal choice ascto how far you lean towards the unarmed side or the knife side.

Because if I try to defend combinations with double dipping the arm or too much focus on control. I am at the disadvantage. It is why boxers box how they do. If I cover vs a knife that will not work. There is a functional compromise that has to be made.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions