Wing Chun just doesn't look right!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was browsing through some good comments on the "Power Generation" thread and once again I had to sigh and admit that the problem is really that Wing Chun / Tsun just looks all wrong. They've got this wimpy little narrow stance, they stand up too straight, their punches are these weak-looking straight line jabs. All speed and no body power. I mean, do you ever see these guys lean forward and set their weight into a punch? And that chicken wing-flapping chi-sau stuff? People don't want to see that garbage. They want to see big, buff real men with real power letting loose with some big guns. Ha!

On the other hand, there's something to be said for subtlety. There are a few of us who don't obsess over appearance, and could'nt care less about image. WC/WT doesn't have to be obvious. We know it works, and that's enough.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an aikido-ka I can feel your pain. We get the same stuff about balance breaking techniques and energy redirection. Ah, well. WE know it works and I've always enjoyed being underestimated. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was browsing through some good comments on the "Power Generation" thread and once again I had to sigh and admit that the problem is really that Wing Chun / Tsun just looks all wrong. They've got this wimpy little narrow stance, they stand up too straight, their punches are these weak-looking straight line jabs. All speed and no body power. I mean, do you ever see these guys lean forward and set their weight into a punch? And that chicken wing-flapping chi-sau stuff? People don't want to see that garbage. They want to see big, buff real men with real power letting loose with some big guns. Ha!

On the other hand, there's something to be said for subtlety. There are a few of us who don't obsess over appearance, and could'nt care less about image. WC/WT doesn't have to be obvious. We know it works, and that's enough.
If you lean in to punch you have posture issues and recovery time issues.
Sean

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

We could make our selves more macho looking if we all got a crap load of tattoos and a shaved head , wait there i'm almost bald so i'm at least half way there just gotta get the tatts .

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too bad they/them do not understand the real principles behind the system..
but I would tend to agree,the western mind is full of Heros being depicted as tall,muscular and handsome.I spent nearly 15 years studying the Greek culture,particularly the Spartans.....Hollywood is way off the mark...Native American warfare..again off the mark.Who knows how much of History has been misconstrued.Take for example Sifu bernd Wagner (rip) he was perhaps one of the best examples of Wing Tsun I have ever seen, definitely in the technical department,not relying on sheer strenght or stature,but rather skill and speed....my opine...just chatter....

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many times have you had someone drop by one of your classes who has studied another martial art (usually a hard style) and watched them walk away practically scratching their head in bewilderment?

I've always said that WT/WC doesn't demo well.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We could make our selves more macho looking if we all got a crap load of tattoos and a shaved head
It's a popular look on youtube!

Some stuff does demo well (but I agree that a lot doesn't). Gary Lam's videos look good and he doesn't compromise on the principles.

Last edited:

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Good Wing Chun is felt but never seen.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mook jong man
We could make our selves more macho looking if we all got a crap load of tattoos and a shaved head

being of that persuasion i am deeply hurt byt that comment!:angel:

i have to say sometimes i wonder what people see when they look at stuff on youtube.or is it just fact they cant bear thought that something else is effective and poss better than what they chose to do, or that is harder and takes longer to develop.
i did karate for nearly 10 yrs and felt after a very short time i could kick pretty well and step and punch/block to the standard-8months in and i feel i know nothing of real effective wing chun and that my technique is not that effective..........yet!
altho just 4 weeks on the mook jong has really helped!!

matsu

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always been impressed by a good Wing Chun/Tsun practitioner!
icon14.gif

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mook jong man

being of that persuasion i am deeply hurt byt that comment!:angel:

i have to say sometimes i wonder what people see when they look at stuff on youtube.or is it just fact they cant bear thought that something else is effective and poss better than what they chose to do, or that is harder and takes longer to develop.
i did karate for nearly 10 yrs and felt after a very short time i could kick pretty well and step and punch/block to the standard-8months in and i feel i know nothing of real effective wing chun and that my technique is not that effective..........yet!
altho just 4 weeks on the mook jong has really helped!!

matsu

We have similar backgrounds and WC experience Matsu. I too gained ability quickly in Karate. I haven't been shown the Jong yet, but I 110% understand when you mention not feeling "effective" yet in Wing Chun.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Too bad they/them do not understand the real principles behind the system..
but I would tend to agree,the western mind is full of Heros being depicted as tall,muscular and handsome.I spent nearly 15 years studying the Greek culture,particularly the Spartans.....Hollywood is way off the mark...Native American warfare..again off the mark.Who knows how much of History has been misconstrued.Take for example Sifu bernd Wagner (rip) he was perhaps one of the best examples of Wing Tsun I have ever seen, definitely in the technical department,not relying on sheer strenght or stature,but rather skill and speed....my opine...just chatter....

History misconstrued? You mean that Leonides and his 300 Spartans didn't have their chests waxed and go into battle without breast plates so everyone could admire their buffness? Say it isn't so.

Speaking of which, your sifu, Emin is cool, he's the exception. Ripped, scarey and very very proficient.

But, I still remember the first Wing Chun school I walked into back in '79. After training in wrestling and Shaolin, I just about laughed at the crazy stuff they were doing. Still, it was the only authentic Chinese stuff in my area, so I ended up giving it a try. I paid cash up front for a three month intro. After a month or so I began to understand a little of what it was all about. Now it's 2008, and I'm still trying to figure it out! Cool, huh?

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I made the error of, with good faith and a sharing heart and attitude, go to other people and schools to share demos and such.

Some now ridicule me. They didn't see it. A friend of mine said that he knows me when he went there and some students started making fun of me.

Yet the one that FELT it does treat me with respect.

I also went to tournaments and did some forms. And lost.

One judge told me "You should do different forms. That was a training form."

o_0

WHAT?

Just ONE guy came to me and told me he saw the advanced subtleties that I did.

Just one in a bout 5 tournaments. Go figure.

So, some flash is useful to get them in the door and in a receptive state of mind as to be able to feel this and open to the possibilities.

Or not. It is not out duty to instruct everyone... as long as people tink it is garbage, the advantage is ours.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know what you guys mean. Most demos are done by scrawny little guys who look like they would snap if you hit them

I don’t know whether you’ve seen our Kamon streetfighting clip

If you go to youtube and type in ‘Kamon streetfighting’ you’ll see big blokes getting thrown around by Kevin Chan. I’m one of the big blokes, and although it looks a bit like we are pulling the punches – they were actually real. I got knocked out with an elbow and the other guy got a broken rib. Saying that we still went light, but it gives an idea of what a chunner could do if he wanted

There are a few tough guys around who do wing chun. Sifu Grados, Sifu Boztepe, Sifu (Kevin) Chan, Sifu Sinclair, Sifu Orr

And these are the guys who we know of!!!!

With punching power remember that boxers and kickboxers do run out of steam
As a big guy, I would struggle being a professional boxer due to the fitness requirements
Yet with wing chun, I can deliver powerful hits at any range as many times as I like without getting too tired

If you try doing a boxers punch at close range where space is premium, you will struggle

That is not to say a boxers punch won’t knock your head off. Its just that if that same wimpy guy (who you mentioned earlier) tried to attack me with a boxers punch, he would have no chance

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I always liked the demos Master Augustine Fong did of WC when he came up to Phoenix. They were entertaining.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr Geezer,Yeah, here's the scary part,I work in a machine shop,so my musculature is very sinewy,at the seminar I was constantly being told to relax even though I was.Sifu Emin as big and muscular as he is was totally relaxed almost stuffed pillow relaxed,however the speed & power that he can transmit is phenomenal,the same kind of force that I have felt with Sifu Steve Brandon and GGM Leung Ting.When all the contibuting factors come into play....Incredible, pure uprooting penetrating power.

Dansel

White Belt
Reaction score
food for thought, emin boztepe is clearly an excellant chunner, but please would ne1 be talking bout him if he didn't challenge Cheung.