Wing Chun in heavy clothing?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I live in the "Sun Belt" but now that we are moving into mid September the temperature plummeted to 109° (43°C) today and will be dropping down into the mid 80s tonight in the pre-dawn hours. Needless to say, around here we wear very light clothing year round unless there is really freaky weather. I don't even own a heavy coat. So I've always worked out in a T-shirt and shorts or light, loose kung fu pants. Since Southern China is also a warm climate, light attire is traditional. Still, for those of you that live in cooler regions, how does wearing heavy clothing affect your WC technique and practice?

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Geezer, the clothes do what you think they would. The heavier the clothes the more restricted your movements.

Now the real question. WTF kinda spider was that? and I hope to god it is not found in Arizona!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Geezer, the clothes do what you think they would. The heavier the clothes the more restricted your movements.

Now the real question. WTF kinda spider was that? and I hope to god it is not found in Arizona!
I don’t know what spider you are talking about, but I pick these fellows off the side of my house at least weekly, during the hot months in Northern California.

Attachments

• 8FD36EDC-2A8C-4F8F-ABED-A698BDD176F1.jpeg
    8FD36EDC-2A8C-4F8F-ABED-A698BDD176F1.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 91
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Nope. Not from Arizona. That was an Australian red-headed mouse spider. And boy, if I ever came across something that terrifying here in my house in Phoenix, I'd give it a beating worthy of the red-headed stepchild of Satan that it is!

Now, for Yak Sau's sake I'll provide you with a cute spider so we can all settle down:

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

With a big parka on.... can you even do Wing Chun effectively?
1631763224837.png

...or do you die in every episode?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cold climate and training. My advice don't skip in bare feet. The toe slap with the rope will drop you

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. Not from Arizona. That was an Australian red-headed mouse spider. And boy, if I ever came across something that terrifying here in my house in Phoenix, I'd give it a beating worthy of the red-headed stepchild of Satan that it is!

Now, for Yak Sau's sake I'll provide you with a cute spider so we can all settle down:

Jumping spiders actually are pretty cute.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With a big parka on.... can you even do Wing Chun effectively?
View attachment 27292

...or do you die in every episode?
I can tell you with great certainty that A. That looks like a coat I wore in Chicago in January and B wing chun is last thing I thought about when this was needed and C even a punch from Mike Tyson would be no more than a tickle in a nice parka.

Latest Discussions