Will WTF sparring change after these Olympics?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The officiating not being good, the matches not being exciting, the unsportsman-like conduct gave many a bad taste about Olympic style TKD.

There has been a lot of talk (on this board & in other places) about the need to overhaul WTF TKD. In the past, we've mentioned the gloves ushering the possibility of face punches to name one item.

Do you see an overhaul of technique, attitudes among fighters & officials &/or other changes coming in order to salvage the image of WTF sparring?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who knows. I think the introduction of the electronic gear might improve scoring and change the selection of techniques...assuming that the gear works like some of the recent videos seem to indicate. It might mean punches to the torso get scored. IF that happens then the "Frankenstein clinch" will be less popular...(you clinch like that, I punch you and score a point). However, the gear needs to be adopted and has to ten be priced in such a way as to make it affordable at the local level.

I think the judegs at Junior nationals did a better job of puching the action with the 10 sec action rule. I don't think revamping juding will change much in the action/technique realm...iot needs to happen, but it won't change the nature of the current game (other than to make it less frustrating to aprticipate in :) )

Can things get better? Yes. Will they? Maybe. Time will tell.

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like Olimpic TKD period. Since Seul 1988 I've seen some olimpic matches and TKD has passed from Martial Art to silly apreciation game, I really enjoy another stile of MA competition than TKD matches.

It's my believe that when a MA evolves into some sporty kind of mach the MA losses it's esence.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt that there'll be any changes to the sparring itself, though I hope that a lot of the sport schools rise to the occasion and start reinforcing the sort of conduct typically associated with traditional schools. Whether they do or not, I'll bet that many competition oriented schools are telling their students, "that guy that kicked the ref, don't EVER be that guy!" I'd also venture that you may see a lot of taekwondoin trying to be a sportsmanlike as possible to try to offset any perceived damage to the reputation of the art.

Daniel

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I predict that they will still fight with hands down.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread should probably be combined with the thread "Can we ever overcome the Olympics".

All the answers seem to run together from both of these threads.

Just my .02

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who knows. I think the introduction of the electronic gear might improve scoring and change the selection of techniques...assuming that the gear works like some of the recent videos seem to indicate. It might mean punches to the torso get scored. IF that happens then the "Frankenstein clinch" will be less popular...(you clinch like that, I punch you and score a point)

That is my hope and thinking. Take the subjectivity out of it: if a technique — ANY technique, not just the two or three current judges like — gets the trembling shock level of force, ya get a point.

This in itself should solve a lot.... I hope.

Another change that is needed, IMO, is to simply open it up to ANYBODY (well, just about). That's right: shouldn't matter what martial art style you study. Kung fu, karate, tkd (ALL kwans, not just the politically connected ones).

Another idea for rule change: hands to the head but ONLY to the headgear. Amend rules so only kicks to the headgear score. Make face mask area shots into fouls. This also may solve the chest-rubbing "clinch" problem.

Hard to stand around pushing your chest into opponent when he/she is rocking your noggin with ridgehands ;)

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is my hope and thinking. Take the subjectivity out of it: if a technique — ANY technique, not just the two or three current judges like — gets the trembling shock level of force, ya get a point.

This in itself should solve a lot.... I hope.

Another change that is needed, IMO, is to simply open it up to ANYBODY (well, just about). That's right: shouldn't matter what martial art style you study. Kung fu, karate, tkd (ALL kwans, not just the politically connected ones).

Another idea for rule change: hands to the head but ONLY to the headgear. Amend rules so only kicks to the headgear score. Make face mask area shots into fouls. This also may solve the chest-rubbing "clinch" problem.

Hard to stand around pushing your chest into opponent when he/she is rocking your noggin with ridgehands ;)

I agree.. all styles.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to let you know, anybody can compete if they qualify under the rules of competition and belong to USAT. That cast $35.00 a year. If you go be prepared to follow the rules of competition and if you win and qualify then you can go. Plan and simple. I just do not understand when people say they cannot get a chance, we all have chances just learnthe game. Remember one thing they need to bring punches in to be a real Olympic threat.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to let you know, anybody can compete if they qualify under the rules of competition and belong to USAT. That cast $35.00 a year. If you go be prepared to follow the rules of competition and if you win and qualify then you can go. Plan and simple. I just do not understand when people say they cannot get a chance, we all have chances just learnthe game. Remember one thing they need to bring punches in to be a real Olympic threat.

What does it take to belong to the USAT?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does it take to belong to the USAT?

Go to there website and sign up as a member and pay the $35.00 and for the next year you are able to participate in there venues, just remember you must qualify though reginals to get to any real level of competition.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to there website and sign up as a member and pay the $35.00 and for the next year you are able to participate in there venues, just remember you must qualify though reginals to get to any real level of competition.

Or win gold in "Elite Open" at Nationals to get to fight "World Class" the next day.

slingblade01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The officiating not being good, the matches not being exciting, the unsportsman-like conduct gave many a bad taste about Olympic style TKD.

There has been a lot of talk (on this board & in other places) about the need to overhaul WTF TKD. In the past, we've mentioned the gloves ushering the possibility of face punches to name one item.

Do you see an overhaul of technique, attitudes among fighters & officials &/or other changes coming in order to salvage the image of WTF sparring?

1.You're right, officiating is a problem.
2.You're right, the matches are not exciting. The WTF has been concerned.
3.You're wrong, the unsportsman-like conduct will have little-to-no affect on olympic TKD.
4.Overhaul, no. Stronger reform, yes.
5.You're wrong, no face punches.
6. Good question, read below...

Briefly:
E-hogus are coming.
They have problems.
Techniques will change. The game will change. Right now, it looks bad.
A shot clock will be coming (probably 10-sec).
Fighters attitudes will probably not change because they are all tired of the corruption/incompetence in the WTF.
You will see a VERY SLIGHT increase in scored punches. You will see exceptions as they work out the bugs in the e-hogus. Never-the-less, punching does not generate as much power as kicking.

There may be strong reform in officiating in the WTF in the very near future. A very nasty lawsuite was filed against the WTF. I wouldn't be surprised if others are filed.

Hope this answers your questions.:)

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During all these years, prior and after each modification of WTF rules, I've heard that this will:
- make Olympic TKD matches more exciting,
- limit clinching,
- prefer more interesting and spectacular techniques,
- increase the activity level of the contestans during the match,
- make the judging more objective,
- (and also act as remedy to all the plagues that Olympic TKD suffers from... ok, this was tongue-in-cheek...).

Judging from results of all these attempts, from the spectator's view, they all basically failed. I don't think that the oncoming reforms will change anything.

I don't know about the other countries, but here where I live Olympic TKD has been losing popularity since several years. There are 2x more WAKO Kickboxing clubs in my country than WTF TKD, and also 2x more non-Olympic TKD schools than Olympic TKD ones.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
During all these years, prior and after each modification of WTF rules, I've heard that this will:
- make Olympic TKD matches more exciting,
- limit clinching,
- prefer more interesting and spectacular techniques,
- increase the activity level of the contestans during the match,
- make the judging more objective,
- (and also act as remedy to all the plagues that Olympic TKD suffers from... ok, this was tongue-in-cheek...).

Judging from results of all these attempts, from the spectator's view, they all basically failed. I don't think that the oncoming reforms will change anything.

I don't know about the other countries, but here where I live Olympic TKD has been losing popularity since several years. There are 2x more WAKO Kickboxing clubs in my country than WTF TKD, and also 2x more non-Olympic TKD schools than Olympic TKD ones.

Yeah so far, in our area I don't know of any schools that teach Olympic TKD. Hopefully thats a sign.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't look at the prevalence of certain schools in an area and equate that to the current popularity of various styles worldwide. there are a lot of other factors, primarily, who came and opened up schools in an area in the first place.

In my area, the 90% of the TKD schools are WTF affiliated. I know of one ITF school and one ATA school. I'm out near philadelphia....you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an AIKIDo school...why? Because a couple of Ueshiba's stuents moved here to start teaching and then their students went and opened school as well. That doesn;t speak to the popularity or lack thereof of Aikido...just that's what got a foothold.

Peace,
Erik

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't look at the prevalence of certain schools in an area and equate that to the current popularity of various styles worldwide. there are a lot of other factors, primarily, who came and opened up schools in an area in the first place.

In my area, the 90% of the TKD schools are WTF affiliated. I know of one ITF school and one ATA school. I'm out near philadelphia....you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an AIKIDo school...why? Because a couple of Ueshiba's stuents moved here to start teaching and then their students went and opened school as well. That doesn;t speak to the popularity or lack thereof of Aikido...just that's what got a foothold.

Peace,
Erik

Here its like that with ATA.. every few feet there is another one

Latest Discussions