Will this work-out WORK OUT?

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i'm 15 and new to this forum, but i really need an answer: i made a training routine, wich i intend to follow religiously, but i dont know if its good or bad. Im doing this mostly because i want to get stronger and be able to master karate, so apart from this work out, i'll continuously train the moves and technniques (uechi-ryu), but anyways, this is it :

-strecthing NECK, ARMS, LEGS, TORSO, 45 seconds each
-running (sprinting and jogging), 30 to 45 minutes
-10 series of 10 push ups
-4 series of 25 general abs work out
-4 series of 25 squats
-lettuces, fruits and protein rich diet
-periods of fasting (only 2 meals a day)
-wim hof method (just a cool meditation technique that i like to do, so might put that in the training as well)

So thats my work out for the beggining. Later on, i will make it harder and do other trainnings as well (like Agility Ladders, conditioning body, hand grip, etc). So, whats your opinion? im going to start this trainning next week, so give your opinions on how to make it better, or just general ideas. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You just be careful young man it admirable that you wish to devote yourself at that age but take care esp with the nutrition just remember your still growing etc

OP
Lucas Areias

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
You just be careful young man it admirable that you wish to devote yourself at that age but take care esp with the nutrition just remember your still growing etc
Thanks! i will make sure to not overdo it, and avoid nutrition problems (im thinking of turning fasting up, put still eating less).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, i'm 15 and new to this forum, but i really need an answer: i made a training routine, wich i intend to follow religiously, but i dont know if its good or bad. Im doing this mostly because i want to get stronger and be able to master karate, so apart from this work out, i'll continuously train the moves and technniques (uechi-ryu), but anyways, this is it :

-strecthing NECK, ARMS, LEGS, TORSO, 45 seconds each
-running (sprinting and jogging), 30 to 45 minutes
-10 series of 10 push ups
-4 series of 25 general abs work out
-4 series of 25 squats
-lettuces, fruits and protein rich diet
-periods of fasting (only 2 meals a day)
-wim hof method (just a cool meditation technique that i like to do, so might put that in the training as well)

So thats my work out for the beggining. Later on, i will make it harder and do other trainnings as well (like Agility Ladders, conditioning body, hand grip, etc). So, whats your opinion? im going to start this trainning next week, so give your opinions on how to make it better, or just general ideas. Thanks a lot!
There's a massive amount of volume there, which isn't really what you want If you want to get stronger, but it will certainly work your endurance abilities.

What are your actual goals specifically, if you don't want / need to run 8 miles,,, don't train 8 mile runs, they are of no use to you, you will get a lot better cardio work out WITh flat out half mile runs

OP
Lucas Areias

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you trying to loose weight ?
Kinda, i still have some fat to burn, but overall, im not really worried about that. As i said, i want to get stronger and more resilient, so i can hit and withstand a hit. Also, i want flexibility , expecially for my kicks (even though my legas are more muscular than my arm, i cant extent them that far, resulting in some awkward and strange kicks)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kinda, i still have some fat to burn, but overall, im not really worried about that. As i said, i want to get stronger and more resilient, so i can hit and withstand a hit. Also, i want flexibility , expecially for my kicks (even though my legas are more muscular than my arm, i cant extent them that far, resulting in some awkward and strange kicks)

Why do you want to withstand hits?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just so i can be prepared for fights. I want to become a master of the art in every way possible

hmmmm

would joining a dojo not be a better idea

and preparing for fights that might not be the best of ideas at your age

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Seriously my advice join some kind of gym or dojo and get proper instruction and especially for weight loss etc as at your age well your still growing and not necessarily do you want to be going it alone so to speak ...you could do more harm than good esp with the fasting ....on that subject where did you find out that fasting was good?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fasting is not a good idea. You need food to build muscle. It's like a car without fuel if you don't eat.

God that reminds me of that guy who'd starve himself for months then binge eat and try to convince us he was healthy....no idea what his martial art experience was but there we go

OP
Lucas Areias

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
Seriously my advice join some kind of gym or dojo and get proper instruction and especially for weight loss etc as at your age well your still growing and not necessarily do you want to be going it alone so to speak ...you could do more harm than good esp with the fasting ....on that subject where did you find out that fasting was good?

A friend of mine told me, he has been doing fasting for quite a time, and said its quite good (ps: he's 20 and does Muay Thai and gym)
Also, im at a dojo, but i only have 1 class per week, and whe are doing basicaly 1/4 of what im doing, and the sensei told its going to get really hard. But i think its better to get some advice from people that know more about these things (well, im doing this in this site : ] ). Should i talk with my sensei about this work out, or ust do it by myself? (my next class is this friday)

OP
Lucas Areias

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
Fasting is not a good idea. You need food to build muscle. It's like a car without fuel if you don't eat.
Got it. What exacty should i eat to build muscle? I heard from my friends and relaives that eggs, fish, chicken, potatoes and some lettuces build up muscle, but is that right

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got it. What exacty should i eat to build muscle? I heard from my friends and relaives that eggs, fish, chicken, potatoes and some lettuces build up muscle, but is that right
No idea I'm not a nutritionist. But in my opinion you can eat whatever the hell you like as long as you don't over eat the bad stuff

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me, he has been doing fasting for quite a time, and said its quite good (ps: he's 20 and does Muay Thai and gym)
Also, im at a dojo, but i only have 1 class per week, and whe are doing basicaly 1/4 of what im doing, and the sensei told its going to get really hard. But i think its better to get some advice from people that know more about these things (well, im doing this in this site : ] ). Should i talk with my sensei about this work out, or ust do it by myself? (my next class is this friday)
Hi Lucas,
Welcome to Martial Talk. Go over to the Meet and Greet...introduce yourself.
I think it's great you are wanting to do more for your training. What martial art are you training?
Talking with your sensei about your goals, short term and long term is an excellent thing to do. Your instructor should be able to give you some advice as to what exercises you could be doing to help you attain your goals and that would be helpful toward your martial arts development.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I asked abov, what are your goals, in simple terms a it's no good doing a football work out if your going to play hockey.

Once and only once you have a clear idea what you want to achieve can you design a work out

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You can get general advice here and guys do have experience in the Arts but your looking for nutrition advice and that is kinda personal to you and your own medical needs etc

I don't think anyone will or can really give you advice there apart from fasting ain't good and def not if your training and at your age.

Your friend well that is his way and he may be doing it if he is trying to make a weight category but even then it not a good idea at all

You'll get advice on many arts but how specific are you looking for? Can you not find a dojo that trains more than once a week?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
In general it's good to train for your results. Want to run a fast mile? Run a mile. Want to train to take hits and give hits? Then spar a lot.

Your routine looks fine for general fitness though.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I asked abov, what are your goals, in simple terms a it's no good doing a football work out if your going to play hockey.

Once and only once you have a clear idea what you want to achieve can you design a work out

Bro he 15 he gotta be careful as jeez he could do damage going solo on things he way better seeking pro help in person rather than looking to the net ....yeah loads of good advice and experienced teachers here but he a kid !!!

OP
Lucas Areias

Lucas Areias

White Belt
Reaction score
You can get general advice here and guys do have experience in the Arts but your looking for nutrition advice and that is kinda personal to you and your own medical needs etc

I don't think anyone will or can really give you advice there apart from fasting ain't good and def not if your training and at your age.

Your friend well that is his way and he may be doing it if he is trying to make a weight category but even then it not a good idea at all

You'll get advice on many arts but how specific are you looking for? Can you not find a dojo that trains more than once a week?

This is the best one in my area, and my sensei told that later, whe are going to have at least 3 trains a week (mostly because of the sensei's agenda, thats why we have a once a week training.) As for my specific art, im looking forward to karate, specificaly Uechi-Ryu.

Latest Discussions