Will Saddam Get a Fair Trial?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Yes. And that's why this will be the quickest trial and execution on record.
i dont know what the point is from putting him to trial if he's gonna be executed anyway!

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree Saddam has committed some very immoral acts.
Saddam will not get a Fair trail, If people do believe he will then your eyes are closed.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Very interesting article written by an expert in international law. Will Saddam get a fair trial? Does he deserve one? Will this trial reveal some very interesting things about Saddam's ties to the US?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A9481-2004Dec17language=printer

To answer the question "Does he deserve a free trail?" Well let me think about this for a second. Did Hitler deserve a fair trail? Did Stalin deserve a fair trail? How 'bout Pol Pot? Well I guess all people including mass murderers like these dictators deserve a fair trail. But will I feel anything for they guy if he doesn't get one? Hell no! I mean would you feel bad if Hitler or Stalin had an unfair trail? I certainly won't.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
To answer the question "Does he deserve a free trail?" Well let me think about this for a second. Did Hitler deserve a fair trail? Did Stalin deserve a fair trail? How 'bout Pol Pot? Well I guess all people including mass murderers like these dictators deserve a fair trail. But will I feel anything for they guy if he doesn't get one? Hell no! I mean would you feel bad if Hitler or Stalin had an unfair trail? I certainly won't.
you wanna go back in time to the worst eras in human history? what does saddam have to do with hitler or stalin anyway? if you wanna give saddam an execution without trial then give one first to the war-criminal butcher Areal Sharon! now THAT guy is worse than hitler but then, if you're sure saddam is like hitler why afraid of giving him a fair trial?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone deserves a fair trial. Not everyone gets one though.

With the circus over there, I doubt a truly fair trial is even a meaningful concept any more. But that's partly Saddam Hussein's fault, as he scuffles with guards, etc.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Everyone deserves a fair trial. Not everyone gets one though.

Agreed. :asian:

This is a slippery slope, in my opinion. If we deny what we claim to be a fundamental human right (to a fair trial by a jury of one's peers) to Hussein solely on the basis that he was a 'bad guy', where do we draw the line?? There are arguably lots of 'bad guys' in the world, are we going to deny them a fair trial, as well?? What about all the people that are 'kinda-but-not-entirely-bad guys'?? Who the hell defines what a 'bad guy' is, anyway?? Isn't this up to the jury to decide??

This, in my opinion, is similar to our issue on torture. If the goal is to spread democracy and freedom to the world, then it is moral hypocrisy to do so by violating the very principles we espoude to provide. You don't show the world how great 'freedom' is by selectively violating human rights.

Laterz.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
you wanna go back in time to the worst eras in human history? what does saddam have to do with hitler or stalin anyway? if you wanna give saddam an execution without trial then give one first to the war-criminal butcher Areal Sharon! now THAT guy is worse than hitler but then, if you're sure saddam is like hitler why afraid of giving him a fair trial?

No I never said that we should execute people similar to Hitler or Saddam without a fair trail. Read my pos carefully. I am saying that if Saddam doesn't get a fair trail it doesn't bother. He has killed so many people and ruined so many lives, but he does deserve a fair trail as do all humans.

Areal Sharon is nothing compared to Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Castro, or Saddam. I don't know how you can compare the too. Areal Sharon has done some bad things in the past but most of it was unintentenial. What would you do if you had a bunch of suicide bombing jihadists threatened your country. I would really be hard to keep the peace.

By comparing Sharon to Saddam you are telling me Sharon is a mass murderer. Might as well call Bush a mass murderer in that case:rolleyes:.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
No I never said that we should execute people similar to Hitler or Saddam without a fair trail. Read my pos carefully. I am saying that if Saddam doesn't get a fair trail it doesn't bother. He has killed so many people and ruined so many lives, but he does deserve a fair trail as do all humans.

Areal Sharon is nothing compared to Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Castro, or Saddam. I don't know how you can compare the too. Areal Sharon has done some bad things in the past but most of it was unintentenial. What would you do if you had a bunch of suicide bombing jihadists threatened your country. I would really be hard to keep the peace.

By comparing Sharon to Saddam you are telling me Sharon is a mass murderer. Might as well call Bush a mass murderer in that case:rolleyes:.
how do you know saddam did all that BEFORE trial?
dont you have to prove it? why go to court if people know that for a fact?
and yes, sharon is a mass murderer. if sharon isnt, who is?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
Might as well call Bush a mass murderer in that case:rolleyes:.

Depends on your definition, I suppose.

If by 'mass murderer', you mean an individual that initiates a bloody war on fabricated premises that consequently results in the deaths of 2,000 Americans and an unknown number of Iraqis and that has no forseeable end or goal in sight, then....

Guilty as charged.

Laterz.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
dont you have to prove it?

In fairness, it's one thing to say this about an O.J. Simpson or Robert Blake--one person charged with a witnessless murder--but there can't be any doubt that Saddam Hussein is, to quote Mark Slackmeyer, guilty, Guilty, GUILTY! I agree a fair trial is a good thing to do for formal reasons...but even if he weasals away on some technicality, or by claiming some sovereign right, he's clearly guilty of murdering civilians etc. Let's take gassing the Kurds--even if he comes up with some legalistic defense for this, he's still scum in my mind.

The trial should proceed, and should be fair. But, we do know some things about him and his regime.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Depends on your definition, I suppose.

If by 'mass murderer', you mean an individual that initiates a bloody war on fabricated premises that consequently results in the deaths of 2,000 Americans and an unknown number of Iraqis and that has no forseeable end or goal in sight, then....

Guilty as charged.

Laterz.

25,000 Iraqi civillians seems to be fairly accepted.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
dont you have to prove it? why go to court if people know that for a fact?
and yes, sharon is a mass murderer. if sharon isnt, who is?

You must not read much or refuse to watch documentries on Saddam. Either that or your blind oposistion for the war has lead you to this position. I don't mind if your against the war but to show sympathy for a man like Saddam, that really says a lot about.

Of course Pol Pot never had a trail? I guess that means those reports from Cambodia on the couple million killed were false then according to your logic:rolleyes:.

Just so you know Saddam killed his first man when he was 10 years old. Heck most dictators in the past didn't kill until they reached political power. Saddam greatest idol is Stalin, as he ruled in a very similar way.

Read this article;

http://www.iraqfoundation.org/news/2003/ajan/27_saddam.html