Here we go again... Wilma Category 5

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mantis said:
a storm, not a hurricane yet
Wilma strengthened overnight from a storm to a Cat 5. It is the fastest stregthening ever measured.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Wilma strengthened overnight from a storm to a Cat 5. It is the fastest stregthening ever measured.
I was wondering about that. Went to sleep at 11 and it was barely a Cat 1. Woke up and its a decnet Cat 5! that was very quick... Scary...

MrH

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems that Hurricanes draw energy from the surface tempurature of the sea water. The warmer the water, the more energy available for the storm.

Last report I heard is that sustained winds are currently being measured at 175 miles an hour. This makes Wilma the strongest storm of this hurricane season.

So, Wilma is stronger than Katrina and Rita. This does not bode well for the islands. Tracking forcasts show Wilma headed toward the Southern Edge of Florida during the weekend.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Seems that Hurricanes draw energy from the surface tempurature of the sea water. The warmer the water, the more energy available for the storm.

Last report I heard is that sustained winds are currently being measured at 175 miles an hour. This makes Wilma the strongest storm of this hurricane season.

So, Wilma is stronger than Katrina and Rita. This does not bode well for the islands. Tracking forcasts show Wilma headed toward the Southern Edge of Florida during the weekend.
the only good thing is that storms that strong don't tend to remain organized over a long period of time. I just hope it slows down before it hits Cuba or some other populated island!
MrH

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Water temps are cooling in the northern gulf and there is quite a bit of wind shear that is responsible for turning the storm toward Florida. I don't think it will be Cat 5 for long. I think the storm, if it hits Florida, will be considerabley weakened.

On another note, we've run the list of names for hurricanes so far this year. If another one forms, this one will be named after a greek letter...hurricane alpha. I wonder if the people who came up with this nomenclature system ever realistically thought that something like this could occur.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
On another note, we've run the list of names for hurricanes so far this year. If another one forms, this one will be named after a greek letter...hurricane alpha. I wonder if the people who came up with this nomenclature system ever realistically thought that something like this could occur.
Imagine if some places gets hit by two greek storms...

"We got destroyed by the Alpha and the Omega!"

hehe

Seriously though, they obviously thought it was possible to occur, since they made naming contengencies. Hard enough to come up with enough names. There is a reason there are not 26 names! With bad enough storms, the name is removed, making it even more difficult... If the greek alphabet gets used, they go to a new alphabet or system?

MrH

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing.

Gathering strength at a fierce pace, Hurricane Wilma swirled into the most intense Atlantic storm ever recorded Wednesday, a Category 5 monster packing 175 mph wind that forecasts warned was "extremely dangerous."

Not just most intense of the season...most intense ever.

Wilma was dumping rain on Central America and Mexico, and forecasters warned of a "significant threat" to Florida by the weekend.

My parents got hit by two of last year's hurricanes in Florida. The current track has them on the edge of it.

I feel very bad for all living along the Caribbean and Gulf coasts this year.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
what is this
it was category 5 TROPICAL STORM when this link was provided
how do i know it was gonna become a hurricane

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anybody hear that there's a new "syndrome" out because of the last year and this years Hurricanes?

It's something like "Hurricane Depression Sysdrome"....

Wonderful.....

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
Anybody hear that there's a new "syndrome" out because of the last year and this years Hurricanes?

It's something like "Hurricane Depression Sysdrome"....

Wonderful.....
I know im having a "Earthquake Depression Syndrome" soon after sunday's earthquake in cali

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
what is this
it was category 5 TROPICAL STORM when this link was provided
how do i know it was gonna become a hurricane
No, it was already a hurricane. Any storm with a Category 1-5 is, by definition, a hurricane. It can be confusing, though, because some were still calling it a "storm" because it changed so quickly into a hurricane that they were still in the habit of calling it a tropical storm.

Let's pray it slows!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Water temps are cooling in the northern gulf and there is quite a bit of wind shear that is responsible for turning the storm toward Florida. I don't think it will be Cat 5 for long. I think the storm, if it hits Florida, will be considerabley weakened.

1933 had the same number of named storms and Hurricanes as we did so far this year.

I think it has been thought about.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Imagine if some places gets hit by two greek storms...

"We got destroyed by the Alpha and the Omega!"

hehe

Seriously though, they obviously thought it was possible to occur, since they made naming contengencies. Hard enough to come up with enough names. There is a reason there are not 26 names! With bad enough storms, the name is removed, making it even more difficult... If the greek alphabet gets used, they go to a new alphabet or system?

MrH
I'm not a Latin expert, but wouldn;t that be "first and last" or begining and end".....

The naming system does not use q, x, y, and z. If the storm hits and damages an area the "name" is retired. New names are inserted. But we start all over with "A" next year.

The "Alpha" is only 'cause we have so many this year.... yea for us.:rolleyes:

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow: "Darn, I hope it doesn't interrupt my training... "

Me too! I was planning on seeing shihan Severence this weekend.

And don't worry about us. We Floridians know how to handle a little extra wind and water.

oldnewbie: " I'm not a Latin expert, but wouldn;t that be "first and last" or begining and end"....."

Well it's Greek, but yeah.
If we did have a hurricane Omega, I would truly believe it was the end of the world. :erg:

22 English alphabet names + 24 Greek letters = 46 major storms in one season!!

Datz tooo mauch!!!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Just an update, it looks like Wilma is down to Cat4 according to the Weather channel this morning. They were talking about how some people are just going to ride it out in the keys. Good idea... You can see how well that worked out for the people in New Orleans not too long ago... *shakes head*

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Especially in the Keys, they don't want to seem to learn the lesson. I think they know the sensible thing to do would be to live elsewhere, and don't want people thinking they shouldbe made to do so.

One highway out...

Latest Discussions