Wild West

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the BBC drama, ‘The English’ about a English ‘Lady‘ travelling to 1890s Nebraska/Wyoming to seek revenge revenge for the death of her son. It’s very good so far…

My question is, (and possibly impossible to answer given the distorted cinematic views we’ve grown up with), were the settlers of America really as despicable, violent, immoral, thieving, uncouth, raping and always spoke in gruff voices enunciating only one syllable of every word (I have to put on the subtitles, for heaven’s sake)? It seems that ejecting copious amounts of brown, mucus-laden gelatinous goo from their oral cavity, possibly drawn from lower down, was a valid form of emoting that I think means ‘I have utter contempt for you, my dear sir! Let us engage in a pugilistic or other-type of violent episode until this trivial slight has been resolved’.

I assume (🤞🏽) these people were wiped out by an unrecorded meteor (that one who’s crater is in Arizona) and the current North Americans were carefully genetically engineered from high quality stock cell line into the fine people you are now: that is the cowboys are not related to you in anyway?

Do watch ‘The English’ if you can…it’s very good!

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the BBC drama, ‘The English’ about a English ‘Lady‘ travelling to 1890s Nebraska/Wyoming to seek revenge revenge for the death of her son. It’s very good so far…

My question is, (and possibly impossible to answer given the distorted cinematic views we’ve grown up with), were the settlers of America really as despicable, violent, immoral, thieving, uncouth, raping and always spoke in gruff voices enunciating only one syllable of every word (I have to put on the subtitles, for heaven’s sake)? It seems that ejecting copious amounts of brown, mucus-laden gelatinous goo from their oral cavity, possibly drawn from lower down, was a valid form of emoting that I think means ‘I have utter contempt for you, my dear sir! Let us engage in a pugilistic or other-type of violent episode until this trivial slight has been resolved’.

I assume (🤞🏽) these people were wiped out by an unrecorded meteor (that one who’s crater is in Arizona) and the current North Americans were carefully genetically engineered from high quality stock cell line into the fine people you are now: that is the cowboys are not related to you in anyway?

Not certain I followed all of that but a lot of the 'Wild West' was over-dramatized for movies and television. What is definitely true was the sparseness and the desperation, not always realistically depicted. Add bad natured people (who are everywhere) into the mix and just about anything was possible and I sure done at some point.
It is hard for people who live on a land mass the size of just a couple of the U.S. medium sized states to picture the magnitude. Imagine riding a horse for a week with limited water on a dry, dusty plain. Yeah, the first thing out of your mouth is going to be brown, mucus laden gelatinous goo.:arghh:
The pugilism was/is a way of life to some degree. Staking your claim was much more of a literal term back then. Add to this how truly on your own you were, and the possibilities are endless.
I do think the outlaw mindset was more binary back then. If you truly had that inclination, then you truly believed you could do whatever you chose, including murder, with little to no recourse. Bad people with limited change for retribution made for some very bad times. Sometimes.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it was sheer size and the inability of the ‘law’ to police those distances that facilitated the ‘very mean’ people?

Were the new settlers trying to escape something worse than they ultimately encountered and/or were they peddled a lie of the ‘land of promise’?

The 70s Kung Fu series made me shudder when I thought of the wild west, but that was tame compared to ‘The English’.😳

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it was sheer size and the inability of the ‘law’ to police those distances that facilitated the ‘very mean’ people?

Were the new settlers trying to escape something worse than they ultimately encountered and/or were they peddled a lie of the ‘land of promise’?

The 70s Kung Fu series made me shudder when I thought of the wild west, but that was tame compared to ‘The English’.😳

Watched first few minutes and decided it's not for me, Mary Poppins getting punched didn't do anything for me.
I did read that the director wanted a realistic 'Wild West'. I'm not a fan of realism, I've got too much of that already so like escapism, mostly science fiction or fantasy and children's film's preferably animated.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched first few minutes and decided it's not for me, Mary Poppins getting punched didn't do anything for me.
I did read that the director wanted a realistic 'Wild West'. I'm not a fan of realism, I've got too much of that already so like escapism, mostly science fiction or fantasy and children's film's preferably animated.
Oh, she is more than a match for the dim-wits who try to get the better of her! Nearly every Western I’ve seen in recent years claims to be realistic….especially ‘Cowboys & Aliens’ 😀

What are your favourite Sci-Fi films (there are only two or three correct answers)?

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Sheer size and the fact that there was no law enforcement at all in the smaller sense.
I would say neither. They were following the promise of something better. For most it paid off. But it was some very tough going.
The Kung Fu series was definitely sensationalized.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, she is more than a match for the dim-wits who try to get the better of her! Nearly every Western I’ve seen in recent years claims to be realistic….especially ‘Cowboys & Aliens’ 😀

What are your favourite Sci-Fi films (there are only two or three correct answers)?
Basically most if not all sci fi films, I am totally non judgemental about films, if someone has gone to the effort of making a film/series I''ll watch it, I can't make films so I don't criticise lol. I've watched every Star Wars film, the first one when it came out, way back when. All Star Trek films and series, including Lower Decks. I just like to be entertained, it's amusing how some fans get very wound up with the details though.
I read voraciously though, nothing like a book and a G&T lol. I read anything, it's an addiction, I love good writing but am happy with 'not bad' writing.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had to mentioned the film with the gold robot (not really Sci-Fi but fantasy) but you redeemed yourself with Star Trek.

Of course the correct answers are ‘Arrival’, ‘Ex-Machina’ and Star Trek IV -The Voyage Home 😑

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well the "Americans" of English heritage learned Scalping from the Dutch.
The South West Apache's were credited of burning the captured opponents over a slow fire in the middle of the dessert.
Something the learned from the Spanish.

The French held Mexico which included most of the US South West for a few years.
The area you referenced is part of the Louisiana Purchase that POTUS Jefferson bought from the French.

This means as many forget that North America was and still is to some extent a melting pot of cultures.
So I can expect there were single syllable words spoken. Possible by those who were native speakers of a different language or learned .

While it was common in the English Language for the word ASK to be pronounced AXE , a few people at Oxford thought it should be pronounced assk' .

As stated, if possible I expect it happened and many people died and cried.

When I used to travel internationally for work, I was thought to be Canadian. Why? As their perception of Americans was always rude (Chad's and Karen's) . I tried speaking the local language, usually one or two words like a 3 or 4 year old which was a delight to the locals.
Yet, they would always help me because they knew I was trying.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well the "Americans" of English heritage learned Scalping from the Dutch.
The South West Apache's were credited of burning the captured opponents over a slow fire in the middle of the dessert.
Something the learned from the Spanish.

The French held Mexico which included most of the US South West for a few years.
The area you referenced is part of the Louisiana Purchase that POTUS Jefferson bought from the French.

This means as many forget that North America was and still is to some extent a melting pot of cultures.
So I can expect there were single syllable words spoken. Possible by those who were native speakers of a different language or learned .

While it was common in the English Language for the word ASK to be pronounced AXE , a few people at Oxford thought it should be pronounced assk' .

As stated, if possible I expect it happened and many people died and cried.

When I used to travel internationally for work, I was thought to be Canadian. Why? As their perception of Americans was always rude (Chad's and Karen's) . I tried speaking the local language, usually one or two words like a 3 or 4 year old which was a delight to the locals.
Yet, they would always help me because they knew I was trying.
Funny aside, Canadian travelers tell people their American when they act like idiots. 😅

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Regarding subtitles, I routinely have the closed captions on for British shows. I’m glad I’m not the only one who uses subtitles to understand English. 😂

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding subtitles, I routinely have the closed captions on for British shows. I’m glad I’m not the only one who uses subtitles to understand English. 😂
I can rarely understand the dialogue on telly programmes these days (British or American). It seems to be a combination of slang and that growly/croaky vocal fry speech range that’s popular with actors when trying to add gravitas to what’s being said. On the other hand, 70s ’I, Claudius’ is crystal clear!

I sound like my dad…🤔…you know, music is just noise these days…

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is reflected in ‘The English’ by characters from Austria, Ireland, Germany.

I’ve noticed that the series is getting great reviews here in the U.K., not least for it’s stark beauty. The main protagonist (Emily Blunt) also produces it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been to that meteor crater.

Yes, the old west was a terrible place. The current one is not much better (see: Albuquerque).

I recommend binge watching "Deadwood" to really get to know the old place. One of the best researched shows. "Kung Fu" didn't really cut it. Too much enlightenment.

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, the old west was a terrible place. The current one is not much better (see: Albuquerque).

I recommend binge watching "Deadwood" to really get to know the old place. One of the best researched shows. "Kung Fu" didn't really cut it. Too much enlightenment.
I’d love to see meteor creator…

I’d’ve lasted 2 minutes in the wild west after entering a saloon and ordering a ‘skinny cappuccino who’s foam suggests a cumulus cloud and with the lightest dusting of chocolate powder’.

Is Deadwood the sweary one? That actor was famous for ‘Lovejoy’ where he played a crime-busting antiques dealer…only in the U.K.🙄

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions