Wild West

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1883 is a great, but short run, series, about the difficulties of moving west. There is a sequel coming out call 1923 but I know nothing about it yet.
π
Oh sorry… I thought you were initiating a number game.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the BBC drama, ‘The English’ about a English ‘Lady‘ travelling to 1890s Nebraska/Wyoming to seek revenge revenge for the death of her son. It’s very good so far…

My question is, (and possibly impossible to answer given the distorted cinematic views we’ve grown up with), were the settlers of America really as despicable, violent, immoral, thieving, uncouth, raping and always spoke in gruff voices enunciating only one syllable of every word (I have to put on the subtitles, for heaven’s sake)? It seems that ejecting copious amounts of brown, mucus-laden gelatinous goo from their oral cavity, possibly drawn from lower down, was a valid form of emoting that I think means ‘I have utter contempt for you, my dear sir! Let us engage in a pugilistic or other-type of violent episode until this trivial slight has been resolved’.

I assume (🤞🏽) these people were wiped out by an unrecorded meteor (that one who’s crater is in Arizona) and the current North Americans were carefully genetically engineered from high quality stock cell line into the fine people you are now: that is the cowboys are not related to you in anyway?

Do watch ‘The English’ if you can…it’s very good!
🤣🤠

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, she is more than a match for the dim-wits who try to get the better of her! Nearly every Western I’ve seen in recent years claims to be realistic….especially ‘Cowboys & Aliens’ 😀

What are your favourite Sci-Fi films (there are only two or three correct answers)?
Watch Deadwood. It’s based on real people in a real place.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the BBC drama, ‘The English’ about a English ‘Lady‘ travelling to 1890s Nebraska/Wyoming to seek revenge revenge for the death of her son. It’s very good so far…

My question is, (and possibly impossible to answer given the distorted cinematic views we’ve grown up with), were the settlers of America really as despicable, violent, immoral, thieving, uncouth, raping and always spoke in gruff voices enunciating only one syllable of every word (I have to put on the subtitles, for heaven’s sake)? It seems that ejecting copious amounts of brown, mucus-laden gelatinous goo from their oral cavity, possibly drawn from lower down, was a valid form of emoting that I think means ‘I have utter contempt for you, my dear sir! Let us engage in a pugilistic or other-type of violent episode until this trivial slight has been resolved’.

I assume (🤞🏽) these people were wiped out by an unrecorded meteor (that one who’s crater is in Arizona) and the current North Americans were carefully genetically engineered from high quality stock cell line into the fine people you are now: that is the cowboys are not related to you in anyway?

Do watch ‘The English’ if you can…it’s very good!
I grew up loving westerns. But I can't hardly watch one now. Because the plot is nearly always revenge based. The plot is to create enough evil, to justify the "good guy" going around and murdering people.

I have seen too much revenue and murder played out in real life to be entertained by it on screen.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up loving westerns. But I can't hardly watch one now. Because the plot is nearly always revenge based. The plot is to create enough evil, to justify the "good guy" going around and murdering people.

I have seen too much revenue and murder played out in real life to be entertained by it on screen.
I’ve never been a big fan of Westerns but surely most action films are about revenge for some wrong-doing? ‘The English’ definitely is! 🤔 Are ‘Little House on the Prarie’ and ‘The Waltons’ classed as Westerns? If so, they are not about revenge…except when Jimminy-Booby-Bob-boy steals and hides Mary-looby-Lee’s school bag for making fun of him at the county fair in front of the girl he likes 😐

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Check out the ballad of buster scruggs. It may renew your interest.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve never been a big fan of Westerns but surely most action films are about revenge for some wrong-doing? ‘The English’ definitely is! 🤔 Are ‘Little House on the Prarie’ and ‘The Waltons’ classed as Westerns? If so, they are not about revenge…except when Jimminy-Booby-Bob-boy steals and hides Mary-looby-Lee’s school bag for making fun of him at the county fair in front of the girl he likes 😐
🤣

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the same reasons I can't watch most action films. That and they are usually misrepresenting police work.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the same reasons I can't watch most action films. That and they are usually misrepresenting police work.
They misrepresent, medical doctors, scientists, military personnel , astronauts, fighter pilots, firemen and the Minions! When I hear film dialogue between medical people and scientists I cringe! They don’t do much better for the Minions either!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out. Haven't even started Yellowstone. It's on my to-do list.

Ever been there? Bears everywhere.
1883 is ok.

Yellowstone, I have been screaming at the TV from the first 5 minutes of episode 1. A total no-go for me. I was surprised there are 5 seasons of the crap by now.
It's Dallas meets Sopranos to me. Hard Pass.

Deadwood is good.
Unless you are allergic to bad words. They are used like pre-Twitter punctuation marks.

Hell on Wheels is a pretty good show as well.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I have something for you! YouTube ”The Gunfighter” it’s a 8-9 minute western that is narrated by Nick Offerman. It is a pure delight. Please give me your review and critique when it’s convenient.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have something for you! YouTube ”The Gunfighter” it’s a 8-9 minute western that is narrated by Nick Offerman. It is a pure delight. Please give me your review and critique when it’s convenient.
😂 Very good 😄 The premise of this kind of sketch can go on a bit too long and become too obvious, but this pulled out unexpected funny ideas that kept it fresh and me, laughing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not westerns. LOL

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not westerns. LOL
Beverly Hill Billies?

<Baritone> 🎼Come ’n’ listen to my story ‘bout a man named Ged, a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed, And then one day he was shooting for some food, and out through the ground cam a-bubbling crude…black gold….Texas Tea….🎹

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Beverly Hill Billies?

<Baritone> 🎼Come ’n’ listen to my story ‘bout a man named Ged, a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed, And then one day he was shooting for some food, and out through the ground cam a-bubbling crude…black gold….Texas Tea….🎹
I watched a lot of that as a kid in syndication. In retrospect, I'm not sure why. :)

Latest Discussions