Why Silat?

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
maybe not to an expert like you Teller,Im offering oppurtunity for insights thats more than you.look at my words Im not trying to shroud you in universal illumination Im just lighting fires.in the darkness put em out feed em I dont give a sht.

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought tellner brought up a good point. Your posts are more cryptic and kwai chai cane than enlightening. If you made a more detailed, thought out post once in awhile then get feedback you might get some better feedback. The one liners are not that enlightening but to each his own. sometimes less is more but you need to explain more and post less. Just my two cents.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I will make you a deal I will write something and if no one reads it I will stop.but first give a definition of this great martial equanimity you must possess ,by example

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
with your great supposed intelligence, you are missing the point, write a detailed post rather two lines of gibberish. we'd all appreciate that more.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont mean to be cryptic,but this is a fighting forum! fact or fiction.If people were so infuriated like teller is, than some wave of attack would follow every letter typed.scream your peace.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silat is a short art that takes a long lifetime to learn, my words are short but they are not simple.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Infuriated? No.
Fed up with your infinite self importance and gibberish? Yes.

So far you haven't contributed anything useful or even entertaining.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
excuuuuuzz me! I dont amuse you maybe Id rather confuse you.maybe you just can't handle the truth,maybe your waiting for your teacher show you the truth, maybe your resentful for not having the physique for real silat.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what makes tellner an expert?

and beyond that, why dont you two mind your own business?

you no likee thread, you no clikee link.

JMBarr
Liu Seong Gung Fu
aka ktk

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I can read and comprehend. These fortune cookies add no new information. They don't shed any light at all on Silat. In fact, they make simple, straightforward things appear to be mystic B.S.

Go back and re-read your Hans Christian Andersen. Start with The Emperor's New Clothes

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
most importantly martial arts teach the physics of the body the jurus are designed to exercise those physics.the physics is turned into fighting, not the other way around.you fight as the weapon dictates.you fight the jurus fight because it pushes and exploits human physics to an extreem.why do jurus motions of distant systems bear so much resembance?intricacies vary but there a stream of sameness that runs thru it.and I guarantee you any style old school jungle silat fighter of centuries past would be a force to reckon with never seen.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Initially, this thread, I believe , was focused on why you came to practice silat versus other arts. Perhaps what frustrates some of the readers is that it has transformed into an "Esoteric Musings on the Art of Silat" thread.....which would probably be a fine thread for those who want more of that. Some people like esoteric philosophical discussion....others prefer direct , pragmatic ,specific analytical discussion that is less "poetic". Maybe a different thread dedicated to the former would be better. Obviously ,some find the current flavor of this thread tedious while others enjoy it.
I always think that when you come on and post , it's nice to introduce one's self rather than remain enigmatic , especially if you want to post considerable amount of opinion and discussion. It helps others understand one's perspective , experience level, cultural background and from where you are bringing forth your opinions and observations . "Knowing your audience " also allows you to choose the best way to communicate your observations to them. Myself, I am based in Dallas Tx . I've studied silat here in USA and abroad and work in Pencak Silat Mande Muda, Silat Minangkabau Harimau and Silat Seni Kuntau Tekpi. I've trained in numerous other arts , including Maphilindo Silat , JKD, Filipino Kali /Escrima methods , Military science and also have minor exposure to Silat Amerindo.
I'd love to know the background (s) of Infinite Beginner and some of the other participants on this thread, merely out of curiousity. Infinite Beginner, this might help some of the readers place your sentences in a better perspective , rather than simply viewing them as overly poetic and obscure . Just a thought.

With Respect,
Doc D

Last edited:

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Infinte Beginner,

It would appear that some people enjoy your musings, while others do not. If I may make a suggestion...perhaps you could start a thread for your musings as opposed to continuing to post your musings on this thread. Another option would be to start a blog regarding Silat and your take on the information that has been handed down to you as well as how you perceive the information to aid you in your studying of the style.

Please do not view this as an attack, as it is not. I originally started to read this thread for the reason of the title, "Why Silat?" and it is clear that this thread is a wee bit off topic at this point.

Respectfully,
Master K.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"abandon hope all yee that enter here" this thread kinda unwound if you want to tie it back together have at it.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, in the interest of tying it all back together, why not let us know a bit about you....What style of pencak silat you practice, where you learned it , how long you have been training in it and how you came to study it rather than one of the many other martial art styles that are out there. Was it hard to find a teacher in your area? Easy?

With Respect

Doc D

Latest Discussions