Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you're saying that Karate has better grappling than Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ?
it has much the same grappling as judo, but not perhaps sports judo

would i loose a contest under judo rules, wrestling rules or bbj rules, yes almost certainly, if i can soften them up with an elbow first id be more confident.

which is really the point your missing karate is a mixed ma, only one component may be weaker , but as an amalgamation of striking and grappling is quite effective

but as ive stressed before, im not really training to take on graded fighters of any discipline, so it doesn't really matter how a hypothetical fight against an unknown opponent of unknown abilities may turn out under an unknown rule set

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you should read that post again. In noway did I even touch base with that.

But is judo and wrestling superior to Karate when only striking can be used? Punches, kicks and elbows? No they are not.

Maybe you should read Jobo's responses. He clearly believes differently, and that's the person I'm responding to (and you're responding to those responses).

So what's your point. When inside a specific ruleset, one art is superior to another?

Not within a certain ruleset, but overall. The problem with Karate is that you're talking about an archaic striking system that simply isn't up to par with modern striking methods. Pair that up with its equally archaic and undertrained grappling mechanics, and you have a family of arts that are slowly inching towards being obsolete for fighting.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you should read Jobo's responses. He clearly believes differently, and that's the person I'm responding to (and you're responding to those responses).

Not within a certain ruleset, but overall. The problem with Karate is that you're talking about an archaic striking system that simply isn't up to par with modern striking methods. Pair that up with its equally archaic and undertrained grappling mechanics, and you have a family of arts that are slowly inching towards being obsolete for fighting.
no you clearly responded to him, by quoting him

there is nothing archaic about my karate striking it seem to contain all the punches common in boxing plus knees and elbows and fore arms and head butts

this is the bit were you attack an imaginary problem and when i say we don't do that, you say well it not real karate then, coz strawman

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not within a certain ruleset, but overall. The problem with Karate is that you're talking about an archaic striking system that simply isn't up to par with modern striking methods. Pair that up with its equally archaic and undertrained grappling mechanics, and you have a family of arts that are slowly inching towards being obsolete for fighting
You are again making the mistake concerning your Karate training. I personally, have never had an issue with 'Modern Striking' as you state it. As a matter of fact, modern strikers... whatever that means, have never been an issue for my Karate, I would even go as far as stating that so called modern striking, really ain't that modern and just because you finally caught up... doesn't make your striking, in anyway modern.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are again making the mistake concerning your Karate training. I personally, have never had an issue with 'Modern Striking' as you state it.

Of course, just like Jobo throws around big/larger people around easily using Karate "grappling" right?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course, just like Jobo throws around big/larger people around easily using Karate "grappling" right?
I throw big people around quite easily anyway, karate just makes it a peice of cake.

karate is really good up close, sort of elbow, throw, arm bar head butt range, I dont think it's the best as a range art, but then most fight are up close

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can't speak for him, but never had an issue. As a matter of fact, it is an issue, that relaxes me, once I know it's a "Modern fighter" I am up against...no worries with this guy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes they are evidence, they may not be evidence you find persuasive, but they are evidence nether the less

Yes but I have seen you grapple and all your claims are false.

And that is exactly the same evidence.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And that is why anecdotes are not the same as evidence.
One time, back in '04, I shared over 100 undocumented and totally unprovable anecdotes in a single hour. That's when I got the nickname "Anecdote Steve."

It was a heady time, the early 2000s. Let me share a quick anecdote. I remember the day well. The wind was coming out of the SSW at 4 knots, and there was a slight snap in the air, like the unkept promise of rain threatening at any moment. it was on that day that I saw a ninja defeat Rickson Gracie in a no hold's barred cage match and knew once and for all that ninjutsu really is "teh de3dly." Really. It totally happened, and so ninjutsu > BJJ.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but I have seen you grapple and all your claims are false.

And that is exactly the same evidence.
no that a fabrication, that's different than anecdote, but yes complete lies are indeed evidence, lots of people have been convicted on lies given as evidence in court

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Um...Judo uses Kata for training, so it must be archaic and useless, why use it as an example?😁

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no that a fabrication, that's different than anecdote, but yes complete lies are indeed evidence, lots of people have been convicted on lies given as evidence in court

But who is to say yours isn't a fabrication?

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Modern striking methods? Please give an example of these modern striking methods.

Latest Discussions