Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Samurai Fiction’ is the best martial arts film ever. It is beautifully filmed, has a humorous and entertaining narrative, has excellent sword encounters one being shot from overhead giving an unusual perspective on combat, the villain is perfectly strange but nicely nuanced and the actor playing him (Tomoyasu Hotei) provides a very cool, guitar-based soundtrack it has a moral message and a very cute love interest!

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here you go.

Base on Google search trends boxing is more popular than Kerate.

This could be other reason martial arts less popular now.

Not say the popularity of MMA over the older traditional martial arts.
Martial arts aren’t less popular you troll.
Boxing is a martial art and has always been more popular in Europe and North America than all East Asian martial arts combined.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would the movie sucker punch be a martial arts movie or a generic action movie that includes martial arts?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would the movie sucker punch be a martial arts movie or a generic action movie that includes martial arts?
It would be an action movie that has martial arts in it, but I wouldn't consider it a martial arts movie. To me Martial Arts movies are those that are Martial Arts focused..

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What happen to Cannon Films and Menahem Golan they made Missing in Action (1984), Invasion U.S.A. (1985) and The Delta Force (1986), Enter the Ninja (1981), Revenge of the Ninja (1983), and Ninja III: The Domination (1984), sequel American Ninja 2: The Confrontation (1987), Cobra, which starred Sylvester Stallone, also Hercules, Lifeforce so on.

Did they go bankruptcy or some thing?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts aren’t less popular you troll.
Boxing is a martial art and has always been more popular in Europe and North America than all East Asian martial arts combined.

Such useless post with no substance at all to the discuss and join in 2018 writhing one liner post.

Odd how do I know you not bot posting here.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Such useless post with no substance at all to the discuss and join in 2018 writhing one liner post.

Odd how do I know you not bot posting here.
What? Your post makes no sense here. Maybe google translate would be your friend.

However it’s quite clear you’re just trolling

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score

Probably b/c the UFC ruined all of the mystique of the fancy, flowery martial arts choppin'. People don't buy it as much anymore.

And the ones about MMA are usually terrible, w/terrible acting....ie. Gina Carano, who I love just about everything about; her tweets, etc. (just not her acting).

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

In the 70s, 80s and 90s martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies where popular you had strong tough martial arts cop.

Yes like Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Sammo Hung, Gordon Liu so on.

Well Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are not really martial arts they took on more tough strong cop role.

Now it seems martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies and tough strong cop movies are less popular. Today seems detective cop shows and comic movies is where rage is today.

The car chases, shoot outs with mad guy and fighting the mad guy is less popular it more about detective cop shows and comic movies.

If you are looking for action and fighting it is comic movies now. Where martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies seem less popular.

There else no young actors in the US to take on role of aging Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull or dead Bruce Lee or even not really martial arts but just tough strong role like Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

The ninja movies are even less popular it seems like in past like The Domination, Enter the Ninja, 1983’s Revenge of the Ninja, American Ninja so on.

So what is going on in the US?
Since UFC, we know all the fancy stuffs are USELESS. What's the point of watching all the fancy moves when you know it's not practical?

When I see a fighting scene with fancy kicks and all that, I fast forward those.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since UFC, we know all the fancy stuffs are USELESS. What's the point of watching all the fancy moves when you know it's not practical?

When I see a fighting scene with fancy kicks and all that, I fast forward those.
I guess what are you calling ‘the fancy stuff’?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some popular MA movies I can think of (like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) were very much about that kind of "fancy" stuff, rather than trying to look realistic. Where the MA is presented in a sort of superhero motif, it still works for a reasonably large audience. We never really care if a superhero's response would work in the real world, if it's something a real person couldn't do, anyway. I think that's part of why MA movies could be what they were decades ago - so many in the audience didn't know what was actually possible, so could easily suspend disbelief to enjoy the superhero.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I strongly recommend this one serie:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some popular MA movies I can think of (like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) were very much about that kind of "fancy" stuff, rather than trying to look realistic. Where the MA is presented in a sort of superhero motif, it still works for a reasonably large audience. We never really care if a superhero's response would work in the real world, if it's something a real person couldn't do, anyway. I think that's part of why MA movies could be what they were decades ago - so many in the audience didn't know what was actually possible, so could easily suspend disbelief to enjoy the superhero.
Believe it or not, I still appreciate Bruce Lee's fighting scenes particular with Chuck Norris. I've watched it so many time, I don't see any speeding up. Just amazing it's from 1972. I stopped watching all those after 1980s.

It's not that Bruce Lee's technique is that good, he's just so ahead of the time and also the SPEED. It's scary. One scene he kicked like 6 front leg round kick, it's so fast.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I still appreciate Bruce Lee's fighting scenes particular with Chuck Norris. I've watched it so many time, I don't see any speeding up. Just amazing it's from 1972. I stopped watching all those after 1980s.

It's not that Bruce Lee's technique is that good, he's just so ahead of the time and also the SPEED. It's scary. One scene he kicked like 6 front leg round kick, it's so fast.
I think you’ve knocked the nail on the head there: Lee was ahead of it’s time.

One thing he and Jackie Chan have done is ruin Hollywood fight scenes where unskilled (in fighting) actors have fast cut fight scenes. I just can’t watch then anymore and ‘Everything, Everywhere, All at Once’ was so refreshing as a consequence!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’ve knocked the nail on the head: Lee was ahead of his time.

One thing he and Jackie Chan have done is ruin Hollywood fight scenes where unskilled (in fighting) actors have fast cut fight scenes. I just can’t watch then anymore and ‘Everything, Everywhere, All at Once’ was so refreshing as a consequence!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think you’ve knocked the nail on the head there: Lee was ahead of it’s time.

That type of thing was actually discussed when Bruce Lee played Kato, he was to fast and they needed him to slow down. Same thing was talked about again when Jet Li came on the scene. The director of "Kiss of the Dragon" was having issues with Jet Li's speed

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a question.....who are the real martial arts actors today?

You see it pop up in movies all the time in a fight scene, but many of those actors know nothing about it. Although, if you watch the fight scene in Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downy Jr, you do see Wing Chun, since he did train a lot of it

kemeticgod82

White Belt
Reaction score

In the 70s, 80s and 90s martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies where popular you had strong tough martial arts cop.

Yes like Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Sammo Hung, Gordon Liu so on.

Well Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are not really martial arts they took on more tough strong cop role.

Now it seems martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies and tough strong cop movies are less popular. Today seems detective cop shows and comic movies is where rage is today.

The car chases, shoot outs with mad guy and fighting the mad guy is less popular it more about detective cop shows and comic movies.

If you are looking for action and fighting it is comic movies now. Where martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies seem less popular.

There else no young actors in the US to take on role of aging Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull or dead Bruce Lee or even not really martial arts but just tough strong role like Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

The ninja movies are even less popular it seems like in past like The Domination, Enter the Ninja, 1983’s Revenge of the Ninja, American Ninja so on.

So what is going on in the US?
I believe it is because people like ron van clief jvcd steve seagal etc lot of those guys are just either teacher or reitred most of those guys are already up in age 60-70s even 80s. There are not alot of individuals out here other than michael jai white.

Latest Discussions