Why do you train in Wing Chun?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding the centerline, how to control it and how it affects the other person. How the immovable elbow and sinking controls the opponent in the clinch, how the hip placement controls the pressure and allows the frt leg to be lifted without shifting the body for leg checks, how to blend the WC structure within the MT structure when needed...: just to get started.

Yes I can imagine that you would lose me pretty much. Kind of sorry I asked :) The two arts just seem poles apart.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Understanding the centerline, how to control it and how it affects the other person. How the immovable elbow and sinking controls the opponent in the clinch, how the hip placement controls the pressure and allows the frt leg to be lifted without shifting the body for leg checks, how to blend the WC structure within the MT structure when needed...: just to get started.

Interesting. Now for the reverse question... has training MT improved your WC?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Now for the reverse question... has training MT improved your WC?
Absolutely. Has given me the opportunity to understand WC in a different environment. Knowing MT allows me to know its weaknesses and how to defeat it. I know how to utilize my WC skills vs a strong puncher, kicker. I know the close-guarter game, the boxer range game, and the longer kicking range game and how to control the range and the opponent. I can show a boxing or MT guard and still strike into and/or control the centerline without standing in the well known WC man sao guard. (which I feel is but an intermediate level of understanding) I can counter the MT kicks and understand the set ups.

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
Started WC for 2 main reasons, the health benefits and self defence.

The further into the journey I go, the more I enjoy the above aspects, but also the history and tradition of it as well.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four days to go for me peeps. Really looking forward to it. Any last minute tips for me. Been previously, so I am hoping that some things will come flooding back. However, I thinking that acting, and approaching, as a complete novice and treat the class as my first ever. What do you guys think? I know that some of you teach from your posts. It would be handy if you could tip me here. Not worried, but perhaps a little to switched off as it were. Want to make sure that I approach the class with the, in this case, correct frame of mind.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Any last minute tips for me. However, I thinking that acting, and approaching, as a complete novice and treat the class as my first ever. What do you guys think?

ALWAYS, regardless of how much time you've been studying...approach every class with an empty tea cup my friend! If you maintain this sort of 'dry sponge' attitude...you'll learn from each and every moment.
TIP: "listen" to what your Sifu says...but pay rapt attention to how he moves, what he does, etc.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALWAYS, regardless of how much time you've been studying...approach every class with an empty tea cup my friend! If you maintain this sort of 'dry sponge' attitude...you'll learn from each and every moment.
TIP: "listen" to what your Sifu says...but pay rapt attention to how he moves, what he does, etc.

Thanks :) One of my strengths is that I am hyper observant, I watch everything, including everybody more skilled. But yes, empty tea cup is the definitive answer :)

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Has given me the opportunity to understand WC in a different environment. Knowing MT allows me to know its weaknesses and how to defeat it. I know how to utilize my WC skills vs a strong puncher, kicker. I know the close-guarter game, the boxer range game, and the longer kicking range game and how to control the range and the opponent. I can show a boxing or MT guard and still strike into and/or control the centerline without standing in the well known WC man sao guard. (which I feel is but an intermediate level of understanding) I can counter the MT kicks and understand the set ups.

Good stuff, thanks for the perspective. A Groupon for a local MMA gym came up the other day and my wife bought one, she's been wanting to get back into Muay Thai for a while. I think I'll join her. I've been looking to learn about how different boxing systems relate, exploring WC and MT seems like a good place to start.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train WC simply because there were three choices in my area, Karate, TKD or Wing Chun....for me the choice was simple because the other two were your generic cookie-cutter school like any other in Anytown, USA, but the WC school where I study is VERY traditional...no AC, not much heat, old wooden floor and plenty of old-school equipment full of blood sweat and tears....this is my kind of place. Also a clear line to Ip Man via Lueng Sheung.

jhexx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do wing chun because I was born into it thru my father who is a first generation WC man in my family. First for my health. Second because it keeps me balanced mentally and physically and keeps me occupied.third because my father is the first to do it, I want to keep it as a family treasure and I feel the art and connection to my father is priceless, so I want to keep in inside my family for as long as I can. It is my way of showing respect for my father's hard work and dedication to wing chun, as well as keeping the true sprit of martial arts alive within my family lineage.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do wing chun because I was born into it thru my father who is a first generation WC man in my family. First for my health. Second because it keeps me balanced mentally and physically and keeps me occupied.third because my father is the first to do it, I want to keep it as a family treasure and I feel the art and connection to my father is priceless, so I want to keep in inside my family for as long as I can. It is my way of showing respect for my father's hard work and dedication to wing chun, as well as keeping the true sprit of martial arts alive within my family lineage.

That's awesome jhexx. I'm sure your father is proud of you. Keep it alive brother!

jhexx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you kwan sau. The more I kept doing it I can feel almost as if i am in the same mind state and feelings as my father had when he went thru his training. I acquired his modified stance based on his personal experience, as well as retained the older way (1970's era) style of training thru hard work and perseverance. Plus I know traditional jiu wan and Wang Kiu lineages as well as mixing it with his wsl knowledge, I feel I have a deep sense of the traditional side, as well as the modified ways to help me evolve my style further.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do wing chun because I was born into it thru my father who is a first generation WC man in my family.
...It is my way of showing respect for my father's hard work and dedication to wing chun, as well as keeping the true sprit of martial arts alive within my family lineage.

Good for you. Wish my son thought like that. He chose to study TKD instead, saying "I want to learn from a real instructor, not just you dad." And that's even after his TKD instructor started learning WC from me! ...Kids these days :rolleyes:

jhexx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good for you. Wish my son thought like that. He chose to study TKD instead, saying "I want to learn from a real instructor, not just you dad." And that's even after his TKD instructor started learning WC from me! ...Kids these days :rolleyes:
Geezer, it took a while to come full circle and realize how important it is for me to acquire my fathers skill set. I started at age three, trained for 12 Years and got lazy during my teens years, wasting time and not training. Then around 3 years ago, I took a serious look at the style again, and after trained with my father for two years to get back to shape, then after he had me train with herb schmeider in jiu wan to get the traditional side back into focus and compare to his modified style and merge the two. Now after moving which caused me to not be able to train under herb, I now train with one of two certified students of Dr Meier of the USA Wang kiu lineage, and loving it. I'm proud to walk in my father's path of the Eternal Crane and forever speak about the Eternal Springtime that lives within me.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that....maybe he'll come around.
Perhaps Mark Twain's quote will give you a glimmer of hope:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

I've been lucky in that regard. I have 2 sons. I taught them some basic/generic kicking, punching, footwork type stuff while they were little and began teaching them Wing Tsun when they were in their mid teens. My oldest is now 25 and doesn't do it so much anymore, although he still expresses an interest in getting back to it. He periodically drops by the class and gives my students an absolute run for their money.
My youngest is 21 and has an absolute passion for it and is very talented.

They help to keep me inspired.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, give him time and if he sticks with it and understands your connection with WC, he may come to feel empty and want something more. I think most kids want and desire the belt system to feel a sense of accomplishment. My WC liniage does not use belts, sashes or any other reward....just results.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried Wing Chun after relocating to a different state in the 90s. I had studied a variety of styles for 15 years or so and wasn't really interested in Wing Chun, but it was the best option where I was. I thought I'd "learn some trapping" and mix it back into my own special sauce after I found a better place to train.

About 5 minutes in I knew that I was off base. It was not what I had read or what JKD friends had showed me. it was brutal, efficient and it fit me like a glove.

Latest Discussions