Any Wing Chun in Ohio?

Mark Lee Pringle

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, was searching Wing-chun subjects,...anyway, I teach Yoo-Choy (old phonetics Cantonese) Yiu-Choi Wing-Chun in Girard,Ohio. I've been training for 46yrs. , teaching for 26yrs. We have the complete 8-form system (yes including an actual form for the 'jook-wan', lol) We are near the Youngstown area. My Wing-Chun teachers were Si-Fu Jimmy Yee Yoo-Choy style from Chicago's Chinatown 1970's, Teacher Hoy from NYC Chinatown ChineseOpera training and Hong-Kong style Wing-Chun late 70's/early 80's, then Si-Fu Steven Feng Yiu-Choi Cleveland Hgts.,Ohio 1990's. My teachers of 'other' styles have been GM Feeman Ong , Si-Fu J. Allen 8yrs. in Tallmadge/Akron,OH., M. Nick Gracenin, for 15yrs. in Sharon,PA., Dr. Rose & Prof. Peter Wang 3yrs. Mayfield/Chesterland,OH. , then for Chinese language; Chi Siu Hwei & Xio Bo Wang. Ohio. My web. is ' Coilingdragonkungfu.org '

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, was searching Wing-chun subjects,...anyway, I teach Yoo-Choy (old phonetics Cantonese) Yiu-Choi Wing-Chun in Girard,Ohio. I've been training for 46yrs. , teaching for 26yrs. We have the complete 8-form system (yes including an actual form for the 'jook-wan', lol) We are near the Youngstown area. My Wing-Chun teachers were Si-Fu Jimmy Yee Yoo-Choy style from Chicago's Chinatown 1970's, Teacher Hoy from NYC Chinatown ChineseOpera training and Hong-Kong style Wing-Chun late 70's/early 80's, then Si-Fu Steven Feng Yiu-Choi Cleveland Hgts.,Ohio 1990's. My teachers of 'other' styles have been GM Feeman Ong , Si-Fu J. Allen 8yrs. in Tallmadge/Akron,OH., M. Nick Gracenin, for 15yrs. in Sharon,PA., Dr. Rose & Prof. Peter Wang 3yrs. Mayfield/Chesterland,OH. , then for Chinese language; Chi Siu Hwei & Xio Bo Wang. Ohio. My web. is ' Coilingdragonkungfu.org '

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the introduction about you and your art. We welcome your input!

I'd say a majority of us on here are somewhere in the Yip Man family or extended family...so with that said, can you share an example or two of how Yiu-Choi Wing Chun may differ from Yip Man Wing Chun?
Differences in forms? Weapons? Combat theory? Etc?

Thank you and looking forward to your feedback!

Reactions: KPM

Mark Lee Pringle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the introduction about you and your art. We welcome your input!

I'd say a majority of us on here are somewhere in the Yip Man family or extended family...so with that said, can you share an example or two of how Yiu-Choi Wing Chun may differ from Yip Man Wing Chun?
Differences in forms? Weapons? Combat theory? Etc?

Thank you and looking forward to your feedback!
Nay ho', From the start of learning what was called/spelled Yoo-Choy back then in the 70s', I didn't know what the difference was from one family style to the next,.. didn't even know Bruce Lee took Wing-Chun for a short while yet, because he was still alive! lol! I already spoke Mandarin, but of-course Everything was in Cantonese, haha. So...o.k., jump ahead. Now, that I found out there are 11 or 12 family differences of Wing-Chun, I can say the biggest differences are the 'snake-hand' approach (sticking to the opponent like an octopus) and of-course after seeing several different family styles, our order of techniques is different. But, our weapons are the same 8ft. pole, butterfly swords, forms have same names; Sil lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, Jook Wan, Baat Jaam Do, Luk Deem Boon Kwan, Mook Jong, & Saam Baai Fut. Basic combat theory same. Now,...(since youtube,lol ), I LOVE seeing different styles, and at least knowing what they are saying as I've since learned Cantonese. :D MmGoi'

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
forms have same names; Sil lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, Jook Wan, Baat Jaam Do, Luk Deem Boon Kwan, Mook Jong, & Saam Baai Fut.

Is "Baat Jaam Do" the name for the knife form as you originally learned it? Many have maintained that Ip Man coined that term specifically for his knife set. What does your Saam Baai Fut form consist of? Thanks!

Mark Lee Pringle

White Belt
Reaction score
Is "Baat Jaam Do" the name for the knife form as you originally learned it? Many have maintained that Ip Man coined that term specifically for his knife set. What does your Saam Baai Fut form consist of? Thanks!
Yes, 'Baat Jaam Do' is our double-knife form. Since I didn't get to learn that form till about mid-80s' ( I started in the 70s')...maybe the name crossed over because of Yip-Man using it? I had three different Wing-Chun teachers over the years. But, from what I can tell, it's pretty close to the same 8-section form that Yip-Man to Hong-Kong style has. Similar, but, for 'that' form I wouldn't say that it is in our Yiu-Coi family. That's why I explain that we have a 'Yiu-Choi gar/Yip-Man gar kind of mix'. Not on-purpose to make a 'new' style', lol...but, just because that's the way the forms were taught back then, and Now that I can cross-ref' & look them up, they make more sense to me. :)

Mark Lee Pringle

White Belt
Reaction score

It's a form found in many southern kung fu systems and also in Okinawan / Japanese karate.
Interesting! It looks more like short-hand Southern White-Crane to me,.. I don't see any of our Wing-Chun techniques in there? Our body-power release looks similar except for the audible sounds. Thanks for posting though. (y)