Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motions

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One question if I may. If you did use the kick, where abouts on opponent would you deliver it to?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can kick to the hip joint,the bladder, the groin, the knee, shin, or any combo you like.

Cool. I was also thinking about the foot, but would imagine that the short surface area would make that difficult. Just watching through the vid, if it would be viable to trap the foot and strike out with the arms to the opponent's chest, while keeping their foot under the strikers foot.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool. I was also thinking about the foot, but would imagine that the short surface area would make that difficult. Just watching through the vid, if it would be viable to trap the foot and strike out with the arms to the opponent's chest, while keeping their foot under the strikers foot.

yes you can do this also.its very effective.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you show applies well enough when you have your Tan on the outside (your right Tan to his right punch). Your Tan is tight in and he can't Huen around it and punch up the center. But when you Tan on the inside (your right Tan to his left punch), what is to keep him from simply throwing a fast tight hook past your Tan? You haven't closed off that outside line at all. Tan means "spreading hand" implying an outward movement to disperse. What you are doing with your Tan in close and behind the punch we would call a "Tun Sau" or "Swallowing hand" in Pin Sun. We don't have that double Bong to double Tan motion in any of our Pin Sun sets. When I trained it in Ip Man Wing Chun the understanding was that it was a way to practice the motions for both arms at once in the form, but the application was intended for use of one arm at a time. But I do like what you are showing when using it on the outside. You are forming a nice wedge to drive into center.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you show applies well enough when you have your Tan on the outside (your right Tan to his right punch). Your Tan is tight in and he can't Huen around it and punch up the center. But when you Tan on the inside (your right Tan to his left punch), what is to keep him from simply throwing a fast tight hook past your Tan? You haven't closed off that outside line at all. Tan means "spreading hand" implying an outward movement to disperse. What you are doing with your Tan in close and behind the punch we would call a "Tun Sau" or "Swallowing hand" in Pin Sun. We don't have that double Bong to double Tan motion in any of our Pin Sun sets. When I trained it in Ip Man Wing Chun the understanding was that it was a way to practice the motions for both arms at once in the form, but the application was intended for use of one arm at a time. But I do like what you are showing when using it on the outside. You are forming a nice wedge to drive into center.

Thanks for the info. I will look further into it.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

thanks..yes wedging is very important otherwise you cant protect your centerline..

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
ifhe throws a hook I an simple attack stright in or jam him at the shoulder

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knowing what technique the opponent is using and then using a countering technique in demos has serious limitations
IMO in real life.

Latest Discussions