Why do you care

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I just got through reading the 6 page thread about TKD being in the olympics again. Honestly...cool. I'm happy for it.

Now the thread spiraled into the usual "sport" vs "traditional" and how "sport" is so embarrassing. Why because someone who trains in other art says its weak? I don't know how many times I have heard "I'm so embarrassed about the way TKD is." Fine...then quit TKD and pick up another art. Don't affiliate yourself with TKD anymore. Tear up your certs and burn your TKD belt and honestly STFU you whinny little wuss.

At what point did you start caring about what other people think about what you do? Is your self esteem that low that someone else's opinion of your art makes you embarrassed? Get a grip.

I'm proud of my TKD accomplishments. I came from a traditional school. I was happy that TKD made it to the olympics, but I was unhappy that many schools decided this was the only path for TKD. Does this mean I'm embarrassed? NO! I was taught well by good instructors who knew their stuff. If you are embarrassed by TKD, then perhaps the TKD you are embarrassed about is nothing more than a reflection on your own TKD skills. If the mention of you being involved with TKD gets people laughing at you, then get on the mat and show them YOUR TKD skills so they know to open their minds and shut their mouths.

Honestly...I'm more embarrassed about individuals who don't have the balls to stand up for what they worked so hard in than I am about another person's perception of my art.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two thumbs up. I say the same things all the time. It really makes no sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just got through reading the 6 page thread about TKD being in the olympics again. Honestly...cool. I'm happy for it.

Now the thread spiraled into the usual "sport" vs "traditional" and how "sport" is so embarrassing. Why because someone who trains in other art says its weak? I don't know how many times I have heard "I'm so embarrassed about the way TKD is." Fine...then quit TKD and pick up another art. Don't affiliate yourself with TKD anymore. Tear up your certs and burn your TKD belt and honestly STFU you whinny little wuss.

At what point did you start caring about what other people think about what you do? Is your self esteem that low that someone else's opinion of your art makes you embarrassed? Get a grip.

I'm proud of my TKD accomplishments. I came from a traditional school. I was happy that TKD made it to the olympics, but I was unhappy that many schools decided this was the only path for TKD. Does this mean I'm embarrassed? NO! I was taught well by good instructors who knew their stuff. If you are embarrassed by TKD, then perhaps the TKD you are embarrassed about is nothing more than a reflection on your own TKD skills. If the mention of you being involved with TKD gets people laughing at you, then get on the mat and show them YOUR TKD skills so they know to open their minds and shut their mouths.

Honestly...I'm more embarrassed about individuals who don't have the balls to stand up for what they worked so hard in than I am about another person's perception of my art.

No, sport isn't embarrassing at all and traditional isn't necessararily better.
I started caring when non martial artists began thinking thats what we all did, we do TSD and we can't show people what we do if they won't come into the classes because they think we do Olympic TKD. Even the local TKD club has had a drop in the number of students while the boxing club has had an increase. We're not a business,don't belong to any organisation, don't make any money and our students go away for six months at a time, how long do you think my classes will last with everyone thinking its 'dancing? Don't say advertise or do a demo, we are on the largest garrison in Europe once the words out in the gyms and barracks that's it you are dead in the water. And oh my is the word out about Olympic TKD, the Olympic fiasco saw to that, all over the BBC, ITV and Sky news, all over the front of the newspapers, tabloid and serious.We aren't a big country and our Olympic team is followed avidly whatever the sport, we were told we had a chance at a gold medal, that's a big thing for us we don't have the resources America does to win loads, one is a big thing so we all watched as our competitors had their hearts broken. Memories are long here in sporting terms, hell we still celebrate winning the football World Cup in the sixties, say TKD to any Brit now and you will get a scowl and outrage then laughter. So you see TKD needs a lot of damage control in this country and I need to distance myself from Olympic TKD even though I do another albeit Korean style.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TEZ3
yeah that British fighter got robbed in the Olympics. I can Understand anyones point on that. It's even more difficult when so few fighters compete for one nation. as Large as the US is and we have the max number... 4. Lot of chance there. now add poor reffing or getting screwed over in the mix and you start to think..."why bother".

oh.... and You say barracks.... and 6 months.... You teaching for the military?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Upssss... well...if you let me give my point.

1.-I really got piss off when somebody who does not train TKD says TKD is weak well I just laugh to myself, maybe a punch can do harm but a very well placed Ap Chagi can put one scumb bag on his knees very quickly.Last tourney I went I sawmany competitors with fisurate and even broken forearms and wrists, this must say something don't you think?

2.-I love clasic Tae Kwnon Do, I really don't like the olimpic TKD but not for this I will tear off my dobok and burn my black belt or tear my certificates. Yes TKD these days are more olimpic kyorugi than anything else, so that's why I am learning Kempo, the Kenpo class is about SD, so I traing TKD cause I like it and traing kempo foir the SD.

3.-NO,I don't have to tear my certificates but I think I can say what I think about TKD in this web page in a polite way.

Manny

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Best post of the day i wish I had said it!!!!

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No, sport isn't embarrassing at all and traditional isn't necessararily better.
I started caring when non martial artists began thinking thats what we all did, we do TSD and we can't show people what we do if they won't come into the classes because they think we do Olympic TKD. Even the local TKD club has had a drop in the number of students while the boxing club has had an increase. We're not a business,don't belong to any organisation, don't make any money and our students go away for six months at a time, how long do you think my classes will last with everyone thinking its 'dancing? Don't say advertise or do a demo, we are on the largest garrison in Europe once the words out in the gyms and barracks that's it you are dead in the water. And oh my is the word out about Olympic TKD, the Olympic fiasco saw to that, all over the BBC, ITV and Sky news, all over the front of the newspapers, tabloid and serious.We aren't a big country and our Olympic team is followed avidly whatever the sport, we were told we had a chance at a gold medal, that's a big thing for us we don't have the resources America does to win loads, one is a big thing so we all watched as our competitors had their hearts broken. Memories are long here in sporting terms, hell we still celebrate winning the football World Cup in the sixties, say TKD to any Brit now and you will get a scowl and outrage then laughter. So you see TKD needs a lot of damage control in this country and I need to distance myself from Olympic TKD even though I do another albeit Korean style.

It seems to me that you biggest problem with taekwondo comes from the fact that one of your competitors was the victim of poor officiating. Guess what, it's been happening in the olympics for thousands of years. Nobody is perfect. I remember a World Championship match in New York, where a competitor (I think she was from Mexico) got absolutely robbed. The judges were giving the Korean points when she was the one getting kicked. The last time I checked, Mexico didn't give up taekwondo. How about the American boxer that got robbed in '88 or the figure skaters a couple olympics ago?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I am all for the "Vote with your feet" If you don't like it then vote with your feet and leave. If you do like it then vote with your feet and kick them up and have a good time.

Latest Discussions