Why do katas dictate to have the rear foot planted for tsuki (straight punch)?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The better question is are you ever going to make a thread that isn’t you talking crap about something a style does?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the form creator didn't include "dynamic punch" in his created form, to coordinate punch with leading foot landing cannot be trained.

The moment that you concentrate on how to coordinate your punch with your leading foot landing, the moment that you will take your mind away from your back foot ground connection. Your back foot then will slide along the ground when your body is moving forward.

So to switch from

- coordinate punch with back leg straight to,
- coordinate punch with leading foot landing,

is the critical training progress.

Why would he not intend dynamic punching in a system created for self defense? And btw, in boxing, you do have the rear foot lifted on impact regardless if you're shadow boxing or sparring.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jumping rope is not a striking technique
The tsuki thrown in Karate Kata is not a striking technique.

The tsuki thrown in Karate Kata, is a Kata technique. It is put into the kata to train certain principles. Funakoshi (the creator of Shotokan) explains this very well...

Gichin Funakoshi’s Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate
"Kamae (ready stance) is for beginners; later, one stands in shizentai (natural stance)"

"Perform kata exactly; actual combat is another matter"

Just like jumping rope is not striking... jumping rope is another matter.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would he not intend dynamic punching in a system created for self defense? And btw, in boxing, you do have the rear foot lifted regardless if you're shadow boxing or sparring. The rear foot is never planted on impact unless you punch moving backwards
The issue is if one skips the static punch training, he won't be able to understand power generation - borrow counter force from the ground.

Do you know any Karate form that has the dynamic punch - front foot hop forward, back foot follow and slide?

IMO, even if the dynamic punch may not be in your Karate form. You can still train your Karate form in 2 different ways:

1. static punch, or
2. dynamic punch.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you know any Karate form that has the dynamic punch - front foot hop forward, back foot slide?

But that’s irrelevant. There is no drawback to have the rear foot lifted on impact even if you train static punching. It does not undermine your form. The only difference is that you are doing forms of punching in a logical way...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But that’s irrelevant. There is no drawback to have the rear foot lifted on impact even if you train static punching. It does not undermine your form. The only difference is that you are doing forms of punching in a logical way...
You can only coordinate your punch with your

1. back leg straight, or
2. leading foot landing.

You can't do both on the same punch. For each and every punch that you have in your form, you can do some punches as static punch, and do some punches as dynamic punch.

Do you know whether the dynamic punch is in Karate form training or not?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

1. back leg straight, or
2. leading foot landing.

You can't do both on the same punch. For each and every punch that you have in your form, you can do some punches as static punch, and do some punches as dynamic punch.

Let's stick to moving forward tsukis. You can move forward in a kata and lift the rear foot, or you can keep it down.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's stick to moving forward tsukis. You can move forward in a kata and keep the rear foot up on impact , or you can put it down.
When you move forward, you can't advance your leading foot without advance your back foot. When your back foot is also advanced, your back foot cannot connect on the ground.

Let me ask you this simple question.

Do you coordinate your punch with your

1. back leg straight (the moment that your back leg move from bend to straight, the moment that your punch land), or
2. leading foot landing (the moment your front foot touches on the ground, the moment your punch land)?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
Let me ask you this simple question.

Do you coordinate your punch with your

1. back leg straight (the moment that your back leg move from bend to straight, the moment your punch land), or
2. leading foot landing (the moment your front foot lands on the ground, the moment your punch land)?

I don't comprehend that dichotomy. How does having the supporting leg planted as opposed to lifted affect whether you are a doing a static punch or not? You are still moving forward and extending an arm.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

1. back leg straight, or
2. leading foot landing.

Do you know whether the dynamic punch is in Karate form training or not?
You can move to whatever extent is needed, and then root for the brief duration of the punch. And then move some more. It’s about doing what you need to do, when you need to do it. Adapting to what is needed and what is appropriate.

But, rooting the heel down and using that brace against the ground to rotate the torso is definitely a good way to deliver a very powerful punch. You do that when you need to kill or injure someone. I assume that in sparring you don’t want to kill or injure someone. Sparring is a friendly interaction, even when done “full contact”. So you apply it differently. Sparring is not the yardstick with which to measure all things.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can move to whatever extent is needed, and then root for the brief duration of the punch. And then move some more. It’s about doing what you need to do, when you need to do it. Adapting to what is needed and what is appropriate.

But, rooting the heel down and using that brace against the ground to rotate the torso is definitely a good way to deliver a very powerful punch. You do that when you need to kill or injure someone. I assume that in sparring you don’t want to kill or injure someone. Sparring is a friendly interaction, even when done “full contact”. So you apply it differently. Sparring is not the yardstick with which to measure all things.

Lifting the rear leg and leaning forward was shown to create a 30% more powerful punch. But I guess the 30% less powerful punch is more deadly.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't comprehend that dichotomy. How does having the supporting leg planted as opposed to lifted affect whether you are a doing a static punch or not? You are still moving forward and extending an arm.
After you have borrowed the counter force from the ground, your power has been generated through your back leg, to your hip, body, shoulder, arm, .... you no longer need your back foot to connect on the ground. You can raise your leg up in golden rooster stance if you want to (if that can let you to have the maximum reach).

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After you have borrowed the counter force from the ground, your power has been generated through your back leg, to your hip, body, shoulder, arm, .... you no longer need your back foot to connect on the ground. You can raise your leg up in golden rooster stance if you want to (if that can let you to have maximum reach).

So... Why doesn't anybody punch that way when they free spar? You wrote yourself that it's more geared towards beginners

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lifting the rear leg and leaning forward was shown to create a 30% more powerful punch.
Lifting the rear leg and leaning forward has been shown to create a 100% less effective arm bar take down. Also makes a very less effective push.

If you are only concerned with punching... study boxing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lifting the rear leg and leaning forward was shown to create a 30% more powerful punch. But I guess the 30% less powerful punch is more deadly.
I disagree with that 30% assessment.

My point is, things can develop differently for different purposes. Sparring isn’t the yardstick against which to measure the validity of all things.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lifting the rear leg and leaning forward has been shown to create a 100% less effective arm bar take down. Also makes a very less effective push.

If you are only concerned with punching... study boxing.

Even accepting your premise of pulling with the other arm. In what situation would you be able to pull a non complient opponents arm towards you?

And even if you achieve this hulk like feat, what prevents him from punching through your non existent guard with the other hand, right in your face?

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So... Why doesn't anybody punch that way when they free spar? You wrote yourself that it's more geared towards beginners
In one sparring, my punch was still far away from my opponent's face. I raised up my back foot (change from bow-arrow stance into golden rooster stance), my fist still could not reach to my opponent's face. I landed my back foot behind my leading foot (change from golden rooster stance into stealing step), my fist finally landed on my opponent's face.

Whether you keep your back foot on the ground, slide, raise it up, or land forward, it all depends on the distance that you intend to reach. That's why we train so many different stances. Each stance can give you different reach distance.

This monkey stance can give you more reach than your bow-arrow stance.

monkey-stance.gif

This golden rooster stance can give you even more reach than your monkey stance.

golden-rooster-stance.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In one sparring, my punch is still far away from my opponent's face. I raise up my back foot (change from bow-arrow stance into golden rooster stance), my fist still could not reach to my opponent's face. I land my back foot behind my leading foot (change from golden rooster stance into stealing step), my fist finally landed on my opponent's face.

Whether you keep your back foot on the ground, slide, raise it up, or land forward, it all depends on the distance that you intend to reach. That's why we train so many different stances. Each stance can give you different reach distance.

Even close range, it's illogical throwing a right hand from an orthodox stance with the rear foot planted. You won't do that naturally.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even close range, it's illogical throwing a right hand with the rear foot planted. You won't do that naturally.
If I don't need to move my back foot, I want my back foot to connect to the ground. That can give me the strongest body structure. That can help me to generate the maximum power.

push-car.jpg

Latest Discussions