Why did my ITF instructor give me EKF gloves?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just looked at them more closely and I'll be darned, they have an EKF logo on them. I bought them from the instructor so I would assume a former president of the ITF would know....

I was also told by other students that I would not be allowed to compete in those due to inside finger holders.

Were these previously accepted ITF competiton gloves?

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 149

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just looked at them more closely and I'll be darned, they have an EKF logo on them. I bought them from the instructor so I would assume a former president of the ITF would know....

I was also told by other students that I would not be allowed to compete in those due to inside finger holders.

Were these previously accepted ITF competiton gloves?

Without knowing the product at all, it may be a more entry-level item, either in price or in ease of use. We start off our beginners with cheaper gloves and shoes that aren't used in competition, but are more cushioned for beginners to use.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We start off our beginners with cheaper gloves and shoes that aren't used in competition, but are more cushioned for beginners to use.

There is no advanced function of competition gloves. I know how the real ones look. This is a trick to get the student to buy one more time.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no advanced function of competition gloves. I know how the real ones look. This is a trick to get the student to buy one more time.

Or maybe and, another novel suggestion-since you're no longer a member-maybe the gloves were a subtle hint at the door he knew you were headed for.....why waste real gloves on a student who is wasting time?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Are these cheaper than the real ones? What is the difference between this and the real ones? Are these easier to use? Do these provide more padding, or pad areas the real ones don't? Are these easier to put on and take off?

I am no longer a member.

Then the question is "why did my former ITF instructor give me EKF gloves?" Your post title was misleading. Your post is irrelevant, because you no longer go there. What purpose does this post serve? So you can complain about a minor detail of a former school?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are these cheaper than the real ones? What is the difference between this and the real ones? Are these easier to use? Do these provide more padding, or pad areas the real ones don't? Are these easier to put on and take off?

?

There is no real difference aside from the finger holders, which makes it illegal to use in comp

He did not give me an ITF glove.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or maybe and, another novel suggestion-since you're no longer a member-maybe the gloves were a subtle hint at the door he knew you were headed for.....why waste real gloves on a student who is wasting time?

I was there for 4 years. I just now realised it wasn't even TKD gloves.

I love the other capitalist in the thread making up reason for why he doesn't give the proper glove

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no real difference aside from the finger holders, which makes it illegal to use in comp

He did not give me an ITF glove.

Do those finger holders make it easier to wear? I'm guessing they do, as is the point.

I love the other capitalist in the thread making up reason for why he doesn't give the proper glove

Entry-level items that aren't suitable for professional use are very common in almost every hobby. It has nothing to do with capitalism. Bicycles come with training wheels for little kids. You don't buy the distance drivers for disc golf unless you have good technique, because you'll throw a regular driver further if you're not good enough yet. The shoes we wear in our beginner classes aren't allowed in competitions, but they have thicker padding and pad more of the feet, which make them safer while students are still learning proper technique.

However, I will accept your calling me a capitalist. I don't consider it an insult. I don't accept that it's relevant to my argument.

I was there for 4 years. I just now realised it wasn't even TKD gloves.

So you never did any competitions during that time? If you did, then those gloves didn't get you disqualified? This makes your anger even more irrelevant. If it were a problem that you had these gloves, you would have noticed it during those 4 years.

I use gear that isn't TKD gear. I use a Muay Thai training helmet instead of our TKD helmet, because it offers padding on the cheek and chin. It also has more options to make it fit better. I couldn't use it in competition, but I prefer it for class. I use knee pads, which are not standard issue, because I kept knocking knees. So what if these aren't ITF gloves or even TKD gloves. Did they work? Did you have any problems with them in training?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because I wondered why they weren't even for the Martial art we train, but I guess that covers it

.If you used them in your training, they're for the martial art you train.

The only person who can answer why he chose that glove is your former instructor. You know him better than any of us. None of us are psychic.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreeing with Skribs here. I don't know anything about ITF vs EKF equipment, I do KKW TKD. But at our school, we don't retail the kind of WT-certified gear that's required for high-level WT tournaments. Why? Because the non-certified gear that we carry is almost as good, is much cheaper for our students, is perfectly fine for training in the school, and is accepted at the local recreational-type TKD tournaments that we usually attend. If a student wants to try for nationals, we can help them pick out a set of WT-certified gear, but the vast, vast majority of our students just don't need that. Maybe your old teacher was in a similar situation, where these gloves were much cheaper and perfectly fine for most of the students?

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I'm not a friend of hijacking threads I'll continue here.

You asked if It was an ITF school to my thread about my ITF instructor. What do you think the answer to that is?

First, there are many instructors and schools who claim to teach ITF Taekwondo, but who're not affiliated with any of today's ITFs anymore. Some teach pre Sine Wave motions, some stick to the latest technical standards, but don't accept any of today's ITFs as the legitimate successor Choi Hong Hi's organization. Some only send their athletes to open tournaments and therefore don't see the need to join.

And as I wrote 'ITFs', the ITF split into three federations after Choi Hong Hi passed away:

ITF - under President Ri Yong Son
International Taekwon‑Do Federation

Headquarters: Vienna, Austria

ITF - under President Choi Jung Hwa
International Taekwon-Do Federation 2014

Headquarters: West Drayton, UK

ITF - under President Paul Weiler
International Taekwon-Do Federation

Headquarters: Benidorm, Spain

With a lot of competition, rivalry and animosity going on, some instructors may prefer using unofficial or even EKF gear instead of supporting the rivaling ITF organization by using their official sparring gear.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I'm not a friend of hijacking threads I'll continue here.

First, there are many instructors and schools who claim to teach ITF Taekwondo, but who're not affiliated with any of today's ITFs anymore. .

No they don't. ITF is a federation. If I write ITF instructor, that means that he is a an ITF instructor. The style is Chang Hon.

Latest Discussions