Saw a cop's duty belt today that's gonna give me nightmares....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that the issue was resolved already in regard to the holster; Safariland ALS type but this brings up another issue.

If you are a shooter then you know that there are any number of concealment rigs that are everybit as solid as a duty rig and are still very concealable; Serpa's and Safariland in addition to the ones named herein.

On another note most agencies do research on equipment and pick what is going to work best not simply the cheapest. Most agencies have someone(s) who are gear guys and some are shooters; they let their agency range, training and supply guys know when something with CDI comes up that works. But if you see something cool drop a line to your local department, office or agency.:)
I think your last paragraph is a little optimistic...

I know of way too many decisions that have been driven not by providing the best, but by the best available at the given price range. Or cheaper, if possible...

(Like the decision to save a few bucks on radio batteries by getting batteries rated for 8 hours of use in a department that works 12 hour shifts... Justified by the argument that the radio isn't in use for all 12 hours... )

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.code3tactical.com/safariland-model-295-duty-holster-mid-ride-level-ii.aspx

THAT'S the one. Thank you. Issue resolved.

(I kinda want one now)

I carried that model for years.......it's a Level II retention holster.......a very secure, and very fast holster, which is almost IMPOSSIBLE to draw from behind the officer......one of the best on the market, and i'd still carry it if I didn't have a light mounted on my GLOCK which I carry in a Serpa Level III.

As for the Safariland Level II that the officer was carrying, it is easy to look at it and think that it has to retention, as it is open top......but that's a VAST miscalculation on anyone thinking of taking it........We trained extensively with ours, and it's a very easy holster to defend a gun grab with, and it's very sturdy, holding up to some very rough attempts at disarms, to the point of wrestling, twisting and turning, without so much as a scratch, much less a failure.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Since there appears to be some confusion in the last few posts:

It has been clarified to me by Arch that the holster I saw DOES in fact have a retention device, therefore there is no need for me to say anything to anyone about a retentionless holster.:)

But I was nonetheless very glad to see the additional responses from other officers and Deaf, who I know is a fellow instructor, and all of it has broadened my perspective. Many thanks to all :)

(It's just a shame they don't make that model yet for my Smith M&P compact....)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of our officers still carry that Safariland model holster. It's being phased out though. The "flap/strap" that retains the pistol has a leather covered insert has a tendency to crack after many years of use. It still functions, but better safe than sorry.

Latest Discussions