Why a certain Association?

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Shane, I guess you could say you join a particular association or organization for the same reasons you would join MartialTalk and other martial arts discussion forums. Since I've got involved in several of the forums I have not only broadened my knowledge, diversified and learned from others but I have also made new friends. I have visited a school in New Hampshire and given a seminar from someone I met on the Kajukenbo Cafe who's also a member of MT (Sensei John Evans) I've been visited by several different members of this forum and plan to get together with several in the near future, some to teach, others to exchange information, although even in teaching, the teacher also can become the student. I have gone to my association events only to meet someone on this forum (Shaun-Kenpo5th) and hit it off like we knew each other all along, perhaps because we have...... A good association can be like a 'brotherhood'. Way back in 1987, I joined the U.S. Police Defensive Tactics Association based out of Ohio, I'm in Massachusetts, knew really nothing about it and I made some very close friends for life. It's founder, Gm. Ray Szuch, my wife Kathy and I became great friends and still get together every so often. We are currently planning a reunion of some of the original members, retired heavyweight kickboxing champ Joe Hess and Tuhon Leo Gaje are just a couple of them. All this from a mailing list type of letter to my school pitching the USPDTA. It can be a nice camaderie if you join the right group(s) and usually the fees aren't that extravagant, so it can be worth taking the chance.
Simply put, that's a pretty good answer.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Are you saying you would pick a certain association based on its members? Is that the only pro to joining orgs or assoc? As in, "I can't train with that person unless I am a member"?
Respectfully,
Shane

No, nothing like that.

If I were looking for say, someone who taught strong basics and emphasized basics in every class then that's who I personally would want to study under. IF that's what I wanted out of training. Of course knowledge, and reasoning for doing things the way it is to be taught and can back it up is high on my list, personally.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
No, nothing like that.

If I were looking for say, someone who taught strong basics and emphasized basics in every class then that's who I personally would want to study under. IF that's what I wanted out of training. Of course knowledge, and reasoning for doing things the way it is to be taught and can back it up is high on my list, personally.
Yeah, I see your point here. I was also wondering how the correspondence goes between members of orgs. and assoc.?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Yeah, I see your point here. I was also wondering how the correspondence goes between members of orgs. and assoc.?
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I talk to many different organization leaders. The world is much smaller than most people are aware of or think. Many senior students and organization heads talk to each other on a regular basis.

:asian:

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I talk to many different organization leaders. The world is much smaller than most people are aware of or think. Many senior students and organization heads talk to each other on a regular basis.

:asian:
Are you talking mainly via internet or phone, or travel?

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Actually...... all of the above.
:ultracool
That's what I thought. I do have one more question, what are you referring to as a "senior student"? Are you talking 1st and 2nd BB's running a school, or something else? Thanks Sir.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does any one know what asociation Michael Acord belongs to? I noticed he is listed as an EKKS BB on Brint Berry's web site, but has the IKKS listed on his web site.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Does any one know what asociation Michael Acord belongs to? I noticed he is listed as an EKKS BB on Brint Berry's web site, but has the IKKS listed on his web site.
Oh yea, like the IKKS (hint, Bob Jones in Vegas, went from 5th to 8th degree in a couple of months) is going to validate him, NOT>

DarK LorD

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Oh yea, like the IKKS (hint, Bob Jones in Vegas, went from 5th to 8th degree in a couple of months) is going to validate him, NOT>

DarK LorD
I guess that means he doesn't belong to the IKKS?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
What are you referring to as a "senior student"?
Are you talking 1st and 2nd BB's running a school, or something else? Thanks Sir.
What and who I was referring to as "Senior Students" were many of the Organizational Heads and/or anyone above the rank of 5th or higher. Many of those listed in the "Journey" talk back and forth regularly or often.

Hope that is a bit clearer.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
What and who I was referring to as "Senior Students" were many of the Organizational Heads and/or anyone above the rank of 5th or higher. Many of those listed in the "Journey" talk back and forth regularly or often.

Got it. Thanks Sir.:asian:

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I guess that means he doesn't belong to the IKKS?
Actually, he probably does belong to that org., but look who's running it

http://www.eastwestkenpokarate.com/masterTheArt.html

It says 7th but I'm told he's got an 8th degree cert. as well but didn't feel comfortable putting it on just yet, he needed to let the 7th set in for awhile LOL. There's some integrity there huh?

DarK LorD

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:

Senior Student, that would be me LOL.

DarK LorD

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Actually, he probably does belong to that org., but look who's running it

http://www.eastwestkenpokarate.com/masterTheArt.html

It says 7th but I'm told he's got an 8th degree cert. as well but didn't feel comfortable putting it on just yet, he needed to let the 7th set in for awhile LOL. There's some integrity there huh?

DarK LorD
Yeah, I looked at that. I don't really know a whole lot about it to make any assumptions. I'm just going through what I can as far as research of different orgs. and assoc. Thinking of maybe trying one out in the future. What is the general opinion of Mr Acord? I don't know a whole heck of a lot about him other than what I've read on his site.

GD7,
About the information I PM'd you about a couple weeks back, I was unable to get a contact phone number for that individual. To my understanding he is no longer teaching kenpo. Not sure though:idunno: , can't seem to track him down again. Thanks for your help.:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [b said:
Goldendragon7[/b]]

Hope that is a bit clearer.:ultracool
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Senior Student, that would be me LOL.
DarK LorD
No... I havn't talked with you for many moons now... LOL

Latest Discussions