Who is the heaviest hitter in the UFC...

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I no doubt won't underestimate that he's a very powerful man and has explosive power in his punches. And he must be hitting the precise spots in order to make a man thats been fighting almost all his life to fall flat on their face, definately has skill.

But to the average PPV subscriber that has just paid $40 to watch it and they've been advertising the "main event" I think they're paying for it to see if the iceman might fall this one time. Yet its another 30 second fight.

I see a great future in a fighter like Diago Sanchez even though he's just began his career in the UFC, I can only see things moving up for him, he's skilled on the ground and on he's working on his standing. Whereas with a guy like Lidell making it seem like its no big deal and all thats on his mind is the beer, I donno.

Obviously let the best man win. I guess I'm just looking for that one fight where he shuts up and says "Wow that was a close one, I better smarten up"

Just a thought.

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Obviously let the best man win. I guess I'm just looking for that one fight where he shuts up and says "Wow that was a close one, I better smarten up"

Good response Jesse. I feel your pain. I was secretly hoping for a Sobral victory myself. Here's something that will help soothe the sting of the $40 price tag. Chuck Liddell is not unbeatable...

(It takes a while to load, so you have to be patient)

November 9, 2003
Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (One of the top Pride Fighters)
http://www.fighttips.com/core/fight-videos/pride/chuck-liddell-vs.-rampage-jackson-20060814473/

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good response Jesse. I feel your pain. I was secretly hoping for a Sobral victory myself. Here's something that will help soothe the sting of the $40 price tag. Chuck Liddell is not unbeatable...

(It takes a while to load, so you have to be patient)

November 9, 2003
Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (One of the top Pride Fighters)
http://www.fighttips.com/core/fight-videos/pride/chuck-liddell-vs.-rampage-jackson-20060814473/http://www.fighttips.com/core/fight-videos/pride/chuck-liddell-vs.-rampage-jackson-20060814473/http://www.fighttips.com/core/fight-videos/pride/chuck-liddell-vs.-rampage-jackson-20060814473/http://www.fighttips.com/core/fight-videos/pride/chuck-liddell-vs.-rampage-jackson-20060814473/

Nice Post Trevorama!!! See thats what I like to see, even if he would of not got that uppercut and actually took out Jackson, he would of walked away and thought "ya that was kinda close."
I notice Lidell doesn't have the gut that he does now, when did this fight take place?

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I no doubt won't underestimate that he's a very powerful man and has explosive power in his punches. And he must be hitting the precise spots in order to make a man thats been fighting almost all his life to fall flat on their face, definately has skill.

But to the average PPV subscriber that has just paid $40 to watch it and they've been advertising the "main event" I think they're paying for it to see if the iceman might fall this one time. Yet its another 30 second fight.

I see a great future in a fighter like Diago Sanchez even though he's just began his career in the UFC, I can only see things moving up for him, he's skilled on the ground and on he's working on his standing. Whereas with a guy like Lidell making it seem like its no big deal and all thats on his mind is the beer, I donno.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I guess you just want Liddell to lose or face stiffer competition. The problem is you're blaming him and not the competition. The Champ doesn't change tactics unlesss someone makes him, that's how it's always been. "To be the man you have to beat the man." Not only is no one beating him lately, no one is even coming close. Why change anything? Personally I pay $40 for the whole fight card and the "main event" is just one of the fights to me. I don't pay $40 for one fight. Seems to me that while you initially posted about "no technical skill" you changed it to he "definitely has skill" because your real issue is that you're just not entertained by quick fights. I can respect that, but I respect someone beating a trained fighter quickly and decisively a lot more.

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess you just want Liddell to lose or face stiffer competition. The problem is you're blaming him and not the competition. The Champ doesn't change tactics unlesss someone makes him, that's how it's always been. "To be the man you have to beat the man." Not only is no one beating him lately, no one is even coming close. Why change anything? Personally I pay $40 for the whole fight card and the "main event" is just one of the fights to me. I don't pay $40 for one fight. Seems to me that while you initially posted about "no technical skill" you changed it to he "definitely has skill" because your real issue is that you're just not entertained by quick fights. I can respect that, but I respect someone beating a trained fighter quickly and decisively a lot more.

I understand that and totally agree with you. Maybe in my first posts I was alittle harsh by saying he's not a technical fighter. Yet he is a scraper. His style is definately one of a kind, seeing as most of the other fighters will adapt to ground fighting were as he will adapt to get out of the hold and get back on his feet.
I too buy the PPV for the other fights, if it wasn't for the other fights I don't think UFC would be as popular to the "everyday" viewer. People that arn't in martial arts and don't have the technical eye see it as it is. A man looking for that button on the left/right side of the other guy's chin.

I agree with what everyone has said about him being the best fighter. (Obviously he is if he's been with the title for so long) I'm just saying his attitude towards winning is lacking. He see's it as just another reason to party.

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I notice Lidell doesn't have the gut that he does now, when did this fight take place?

Chuck's fight against Rampage Jackson took place November 9, 2003. It was the second fight of a Pride elimination contest. Chuck's first fight was against Alistair Overeem 3 months earlier. If Chuck had beaten Jackson, he would have faced Wanderlei Silva in the finals later that same evening. As it turns out, Silva ended up winning the tournament by demolishing Jackson.

If you're interested in seeing the best fighters in the world at the light-heavyweight/heavyweight division, I would check out the Pride Pay Per View this Sunday. It's literally a dream matchup (and elimination bout) between four of the best fighters in the world (including Wanderlei Silva).

Jesse said:
I agree with what everyone has said about him being the best fighter. (Obviously he is if he's been with the title for so long) I'm just saying his attitude towards winning is lacking. He see's it as just another reason to party.

Oh I dunno. I suspect I'd feel like celebrating too after such a convincing win. I mean, did you see some of those hotties that were cheering for him? Seems like motivation enough for me.:)

MMA_Fanatic

White Belt
Reaction score
I find it interesting that it seems to escape peoples notice that Chuck Liddell (in addition to having a seriously hard punch) is also a very good wrestler, which is one of the reasons why he has beaten fighters such as Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Jeremy Horn, Babalu Sobral etc.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wanderlie silva has to be one day given an award for the master of knockout.weather it is his knee his fist or his shin they all go down!!!

Mirko also has incrediable knock out power, could he have the most effect left foot in the world???

and to put it bluntly i dont think anyone right now is a match for Fedor, he has proven time and time again that he is possiably the greatest MMA fighter right now and proberly be for a while to come.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a recent interview in grappling, Andrei arlovski and Jeff monson claimed Tim Sylvia is the hardest hitter in the UFC. but then again, he is 6'8" 250 lbs. . . .

so do we factor in weight....? if so, then spenc fisher and sam stout have heavy hands. for welterweight and lightwegiht respectively

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In a recent interview in grappling, Andrei arlovski and Jeff monson claimed Tim Sylvia is the hardest hitter in the UFC. but then again, he is 6'8" 250 lbs. . . .

Well that explains why he just danced around him, instead of trying to close the distance, in their last fight.

I still think Chuck Liddell has the heaviest hands in MMA -- regardless of weight. He's the only one that throws punches the way he does (with an unconventional full-follow-through style, like a rope being swung with an iron ball attached to the end of it)... And he has the accuracy of marksman.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, maybe off-topic or maybe not but what does it take to have 'heavy hands'? How do you train to become a heavy hitter? What technique or raw strength is there in it that can be developed or improved?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, maybe off-topic or maybe not but what does it take to have 'heavy hands'? How do you train to become a heavy hitter? What technique or raw strength is there in it that can be developed or improved?

The big thing with boxing style punches (also true of karate punches btw) is using your hips to generate power. The main way people practice for power is doing single strikes or simple combos on a heavy bag. You should watch technique, make sure to use the hip fully, don't stop striking, and don't use long combos.

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The big thing with boxing style punches (also true of karate punches btw) is using your hips to generate power. The main way people practice for power is doing single strikes or simple combos on a heavy bag. You should watch technique, make sure to use the hip fully, don't stop striking, and don't use long combos.

Well technique is definitely part of it. But one thing you have to consider is that a specific boxing technique may not be giving you the full power.

At a Chuck Liddell seminar I attended last year, he told us that his knock out power comes from the fact that he doesn't utilize proper boxing technique for his hooks. Boxers throw a hook so that it will penetrate a couple of inches, stop, and then retrace its path back to the starting point. Chuck isn't concerned with regaining proper form right away after his punch. Instead he's swinging all the way through. The only thing that's going to stop his fist/arm from completing a full swing is his opponent's head.

He's "swinging for the fences." He's not trying to score points. Imagine how many fewer home runs would be hit if batters stopped their swing right after they hit the ball and then immediately brought their bat back to the starting position.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score

Being relaxed when you are striking also has a lot to do with the power output of your strikes. That is why BJ Penn has a lot of power in his strikes. I would have to say Chuck is the hardest hitter currently but pound for pound I reckon BJ would atleast match him.

Lastly, apart from the follow through on Chucks punches he also throws strikes from odd angles making his punches harder to defend thus they get through more hence more knock outs.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Penetration is very important — hitting into the target, not just at the surface plane.

And a big part of achieving penetration is bridging the gap, getting close enough to the opponent that you can strike two or three inches behind the surface plane.

I see a lot of fighters who try to land punches while leaning their shoulders way out past their hips instead of moving in closer so they can REALLY extend far enough into their opponent.

Another key element is actually keeping your eyes on the opponent as you strike. Those who drop their head and eyes as they swing are essentially attacking blind. Hard strikes are, literally, blind luck in these cases.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have to say BJ Penn as well. zDom made an outstanding observation that needs to be remembered.....When striking, strike through the target. Don't just hit it.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still think Chuck Liddell has the heaviest hands in MMA -- regardless of weight. He's the only one that throws punches the way he does (with an unconventional full-follow-through style, like a rope being swung with an iron ball attached to the end of it)... And he has the accuracy of marksman.
also chuck has some of the oddest timing in MMA. his strikes are not only at odd angles, but almost all boxing training practices timing drills. Chuck's training (like franklin's as well) uses a broken rythym and makes it hard to judge when exactly the punch is gonna land,. so many fighters block, the drop their hands to throw a strike THEN get hit by the punch...

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think this has to do with body mechanics and relaxation...with bad body mechanics a lot of the strike's energy dissapates. A relaxed and well grounded strike can feel really hard without a lot of raw power behind it, whereas you can throw everything you have into a strike and if you have bad body mechanics it won't do anything.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gotta go with the iceman! Weird timing and he throws that hybrid hook/cross punch with um, determination.

Cujo

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
They always talk about him as a grappler, and that does appear to be where he is most comfortable, but I've gotta say, Matt Hughes has some of the best striking I've seen in the UFC. He has solid technique.

Watch how Hughes keeps his eyes locked on his opponent, even when he is getting hit. Watch his accuracy: Hughes doesn't waste many punches, rarely if ever throwing a wild punch. Watch how he keeps his shoulders over his hips, for the most part.

He doesn't get the "big hits" very often (probably because he doesn't overcommit his weight behind any one punch) but I think he is one of the most accurate strikers in the UFC and has a decent amount of juice on them as well.

Latest Discussions