Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Liddell Retains UFC Crown With TKO of Sobral

By Andrew Levine
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, August 27, 2006; Page E09

There had been talk on the part of Chuck Liddell's opponent that so much had changed in the nearly four years since their last matchup, that it would be a grave mistake to expect a similar result. To some degree, maybe that was true.

Renato Sobral had entered his rematch with the Ultimate Fighting Championship's light heavyweight champion last night on a 10-match winning streak, but walked away from the Octagon in the same fashion as Liddell's previous five opponents -- the victim of a brutal knockout.

With the sort of relentless punching display that has carried him to the apex of his sport, Liddell scored a technical knockout over Sobral just 1 minute 35 seconds into the first round to retain his title at UFC 62 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700039.html

Did anyone happen to come across any video of this fight on the internet?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, but it wasn't terribly exciting IMO.

Liddell backed away, Sobral rushed him, Liddell backed away faster and manageed to land a uppercut. Sobral was a little dazed and Liddell went on the offensive. Sobral managed to hang in quite a while, but after that first uppercut he wasn't able to recover enough to do much.

McCarthy stepped in and stopped it, Sobral being rather dazed grabbed onto McCarthy's leg and McCarthy mounted him.

I think the free events have had better fights then the PPV's lately to be honest...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nevermind, here ya go:

[yt]R45W-z0tk_s[/yt]

Not great quality, looks like someone put a video camera in front of there tv rather then using a vcr....

Link:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damn, the video was removed before I had a chance to see it. :(

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quick and quite deadly. Wow!

Thanks Brian! Much appreciated. :D

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was somewhat of a boring fight, I don't know. However, the outcome is the one I suspected.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How was the Bonnar Griffin fight? The article say a unanimous decision, but did it live up to the hype?

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
How was the Bonnar Griffin fight? The article say a unanimous decision, but did it live up to the hype?
It was good, but not as good as the first. I think Bonnar should have won the second round, but Griffin certainly won the fight. They were both much more conservative, which was probably Bonnar's downfall IMO.

ammonihah99

White Belt
Reaction score
Griffin's comments after the fight were pretty funny. Seems like a real down-to-earth nice guy. Still can't believe they charge $40 . . .

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
In other words they looked more like pro fighters and less like it was a drunken brawl ;)

Yeah, but drunken brawls can be fun to watch. Griffin looked like he was choosing his punches well.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was disappointed on Sobral he made a stupid mistake, I mean come on Chuck runs around with that right arm cocked back, how can no one see it coming!!!!!I been watching Sobral train on the net and i really though he was going to look to tie chuck up then submit him........I really hope the ufc pulls together this Wanderlie fight just to show America that CHUCK LIDDEL IS NOT THE BEST LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT IN THE WORLD!...infact I think in the grand scheme of things he's about 11th.if that.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was disappointed on Sobral he made a stupid mistake, I mean come on Chuck runs around with that right arm cocked back, how can no one see it coming!!!!!I been watching Sobral train on the net and i really though he was going to look to tie chuck up then submit him........I really hope the ufc pulls together this Wanderlie fight just to show America that CHUCK LIDDEL IS NOT THE BEST LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT IN THE WORLD!...infact I think in the grand scheme of things he's about 11th.if that.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:

OK so who are the other 10? I don't think he's the best but 11th seems a little low. Top ten please?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
OK so who are the other 10? I don't think he's the best but 11th seems a little low. Top ten please?

Lol I admit I'm being abit harsh stil a bit sore that Sobral lost.
I personally think that

1.wanderlei silva
2.Ricardo Arona
3.Kazushi sakuraba
4.Shogan Rua
5.quinton Jackson

Would all have no trouble beating him....infact Quinton already has.

The UFC really need to pull together this wandi fight for chuck...I really think it will damage the UFC's image hwen wandi wins though.( :

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Odin said:
Lol I admit I'm being abit harsh stil a bit sore that Sobral lost.
I personally think that

1.wanderlei silva
2.Ricardo Arona
3.Kazushi sakuraba
4.Shogan Rua
5.quinton Jackson

Would all have no trouble beating him....infact Quinton already has.

The UFC really need to pull together this wandi fight for chuck...I really think it will damage the UFC's image hwen wandi wins though.( :

I dunno, Chuck is pretty damn good and he definitely has a shot at knocking Silva out...

All I'm saying is that it's not out of the question.

Latest Discussions