Who is the craziest person you know in the martial arts?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen him do it with an empty can as well. I have tried it, unsuccessfully several times. It is quite hard to do. I haven't tried it with a full can though.

Not to mention that it is a waste of a perfectly good can of Coke.
True, but I am a Pepsi man myself.:D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried that break no fewer than a hundred times with every kind of bottle I could find. I never did it, not even once. Billy used to laugh his butt off. Oh, man, not even once.
Did you have some water in the bottle? Maybe a 1/3 full. Hold the neck and smack it with a good palm heel.
An unsupported empty can with any strike would be tough. There needs to be some resistance or the can just crushes. A good example of the old saying speed kills.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you have some water in the bottle? Maybe a 1/3 full. Hold the neck and smack it with a good palm heel.

Yeah, I did. And I said I tried it at least a hundred times, but it was way more than that. I tried it for several years. I had the speed, I was as fast as anyone I knew, and I had the strength of smacking things. And I was in great shape, worked out for a living.

If my life had depended on that break I would have been a dead man. Just could never do that break.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my life had depended on that break I would have been a dead man. Just could never do that break.
Everyone's got something like that. It just sticks in your head, doesn't it.

You feel like, "I just need to keep working n the [whatever it is], and I'll get it." But it just never shows up, darn it all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone's got something like that. It just sticks in your head, doesn't it.

You feel like, "I just need to keep working n the [whatever it is], and I'll get it." But it just never shows up, darn it all.

There were a lot of other things I couldn't do. And I realize they're what we used to call parlor tricks and have nothing to do with the Arts, but when you spend long hours in the dojo everyday you tend to amuse yourself at times, along with other fools of the same ilk.

But, yeah, that bottle break always got to me. Kind of still does.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My memory is deplorable at times. I reached out to a half dozen Martial guys I know, some of whom don't actually know each other, and they all gave me the same answer of the craziest person they ever knew....or even heard about. And I knew him rather well. Duh. George Pesare.

GeorgePesareandHisPeople.png

Pesare in the white gi top. His school back in the day was probably the toughest, most violent place in the country. You couldn't get away today with the stuff they used do back then.

It was the first dojo other than my own that I ever went to. We went on the guise of a referees training clinic. We went to spar so refs could be trained. We were lambs to a slaughter. What savage beatings we took.

But, we kept going back. And to give the devil his due, it's where we learned to fight. But that man, may he RIP, was out of his mind. And all those guys pictured, could fight like the dickens.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who is the craziest person you know in the martial arts?

Did somebody just call me?

:D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why, yes, yes we did. :)

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have done a few crazy things in my time.

Shove a baseball bat down my pants to conceal carry it. It worked great until I had to get in a car.

Put a machete in a yoga bag along with a yoga mat to conceal carry it.

Talked to a stop sign to avoid a possible altercation while waiting for a bus.

Did a kung fu routine in a court room while waiting for everything to start. FYI if anyone is interested that is one sure fire way to not have to do jury duty.

Online I continually lie about how overweight I am. Like the time I told people I was 475 pounds and am 19 years old and hopefully when I make it to 500 pounds all my fat will become a black hole and I will become skinny.

Latest Discussions