Who is the craziest person you know in the martial arts?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Should manage some "interesting"stories from this. Craziest guy I've met through the martial art would be a guy named Serge Laflamme. Serge has a Guinness Book of Records listing for brick breaking. Tried to make a living for a while doing brick breaking demos at boxing and kickboxing events around Quebec. People weren't too impressed. Had to jazz up his act. Richard Barathy used to set the bricks on fire before he broke them. Serge decided he would set himself on fire, then break the bricks. Fire, Laflamme.

I saw Serge at a 1991 convention trying to beat his Guinness record for speed breaking. Had cement patio tiles stacked all around a hockey rink. Started breaking the slabs with a downward elbow. Goes through the first 5 or so piles, no problem , then one pile wont break. Hits it again. Nothing. Hits it again, it breaks. Goes to the next one, but he's moving slower. Breaks that one, heads for the next. Slams his elbow into the tiles. Nothing. Stands up, bows and walks out of the rink area, goes behind the curtain where so must people can't see him, and faints. See him later that night on a drunken boat cruise, elbow swollen like a grapefruit, says he will see a doctor when he goes home in a few days.

Next I hear, Serge has decided to become a stunt man. At that time in Canada, Vancouver is the place for film work. Serge doesn't speak English, but why let that stop you. He has qualifications. He can fight and is comfortable setting himself on fire. Learns how to jump/get pushed out a window and land on boxes. The live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV show is filmed in Vancouver. Serge becomes a turtle Donatello to be exact.

Eventually Serge becomes bored of throwing himself out windows, setting himself on fire and dressing up in a turtle costume. He decides to go to India to seek enlightenment and become a monk He is gone for a couple years, when he suddenly pops back up in Canada, bald head, saffron robes and a new religion he has developed. Haven't heard much about Serge lately. but he remains the craziest person I've met through the martial arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, man, I’ve some really strange people in the Martial Arts world. What kind of crazy we talking about?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was a tournament fighter back in the eighties, Mad Dog Curren, he was kind of crazy. Entered weapons kata at a big tourney and walked up when his name was called, pulling the rope on a chain saw. They wouldn’t let him compete. We all tried to stick up for him, would have been cool, but, alas, no go.

Once eating dinner between the prelims and the finals at a tourney, Mad Dog came up to the window outside. One of the guys had told him that Mad Dog could not disturb his appetite. Apparently they had made a bet. Mad Dod paid an old, really dirty homeless women fifty bucks to assist him outside that window. He licked her back and chest clean as everybody ran. Man did we run. Yup, he was kind of crazy.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The craziest? Easy. @Buka Although I’ve never actually met him. :D
Ive met him. He makes an excellent tuna sandwich and a chicken soup to match. Perhaps one day you too shall Know of what i speak. It is a very long journey to a remote location in the Pacific Ocean.

Can’t wait to get back...

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mad Dog, eh? When I was a kid, the wrestler Mad Dog Vachon had family that lived nearby. When he and his brother Paul "The Butcher" would visit, they would bring their championship wrestling belts and the kids would pull mattresses out into the backyard to fight over who got to wear the belt. Mad Dog would growl and snarl as he tossed kids around, but you could tell he loved it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Danimal punched a wall once on his walk out to a fight and broke his hand.

He won the fight.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There isn't too much crazy at my dojang, except for a few kids here and there that aren't quite right. However, there was one guy who really seemed strange to me.

This was back when I first started. The class was white, yellow, purple, and orange belt adults. Classes are twice a week. This guy did maybe 3 classes a month, and I doubt he practiced testing material outside of class. He was also under the impression he's in class all the time. Well, for orange belts, there were 7 one-step drills in the test. Whenever this guy and the other orange belt were practicing together, they would struggle mightily with 1-3. My Master would show them, they'd struggle, and then he'd come and help them.

This guy thought he was ready for testing. So my Master checked them out on 1-7. He did 1-3 mediocrely, and didn't even know there was a 4-7. After class he was ranting and raving to me about how my Master never showed him those and how does he expect to pass his test if he's being shown stuff at the last minute. I'm sitting here listening to this rant thinking, maybe if you showed up to class more, and maybe if you showed you learned 1-3, he'd show you more, but I just smiled and nodded until I could leave the conversation.

Well, we got our green belts together. Then I didn't see him in class for about 8 months, only came to drop off his kid for his kid's class. He comes back.
Me: Welcome back!
Him: What are you talking about, I've been here?

Once again, he thought he'd been there the whole time. So he shows up for the white-orange belt class. I remind him that he's a green belt now and his class is an hour later, but since he's already there he takes the beginner class. Then he takes the advanced class too, because that's his class. Two hours after all that time is too much and he's overdone it. Didn't see him for another few months. Then he did the same thing. Acted like he never left or never took a break, came to the wrong class, overdid it, and then took another few months off. This happened a few more times until his kid got his black belt, and then I didn't see him anymore.

It was just strange to me that his attitude was that he was there all the time. I don't know who he thought he was kidding, or if he actually believed that.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Got to be, without question Benny Urquidez, the man is a legend, but a crazy one.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive met him. He makes an excellent tuna sandwich and a chicken soup to match. Perhaps one day you too shall Know of what i speak. It is a very long journey to a remote location in the Pacific Ocean.

Can’t wait to get back...
One of these days I’ll make it to Maui. Then again, he’ll probably stop me at the airport and put me back on a plane to the mainland without realizing who I was. I’d send me back if I didn’t know better.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was a guy out of New York back in the seventies, Ron. Used to enter breaking competitions, went by the name of Master Breaker.

You know how a lot of tournaments are held in gymnasiums? First time I saw him - his name was called to break and he jumped off a seat in the balcony and landed like Iron Man the first time he shows up in the movie. Go to the 1:20 mark -

And Ron was a big man, the floor actually shook. Talk about making an entrance to a breaking competition.

So he jumps of the balcony, lands like Iron man, marches into the breaking area and address the judges with a BOOMING voice like he's yelling at the devil himself. "Judges, YOU know my name! I am here to break!" And then he just smashed the crap out of everything.

This is him when he was a lot older, but still smashing stuff.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a guy out of New York back in the seventies, Ron. Used to enter breaking competitions, went by the name of Master Breaker.

You know how a lot of tournaments are held in gymnasiums? First time I saw him - his name was called to break and he jumped off a seat in the balcony and landed like Iron Man the first time he shows up in the movie. Go to the 1:20 mark -

And Ron was a big man, the floor actually shook. Talk about making an entrance to a breaking competition.

So he jumps of the balcony, lands like Iron man, marches into the breaking area and address the judges with a BOOMING voice like he's yelling at the devil himself. "Judges, YOU know my name! I am here to break!" And then he just smashed the crap out of everything.

That is a lot of man right there.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In terms of antics, it would be a close race between Nashville Kung Fu teacher Rusty Grey and Shotokan teacher Sammy Gibbs. Rusty was a ring leader, and a binge drinker. You never knew which version of him you were going to get. One of many of his memorable antics was climbing a power pole and crawling across the Cumberland River on the telephone line at Riverfront Park in downtown Nashville.
Sammy is 6'6" tall and mostly legs. This is a big part of him just showing up at TKD class one night in his Gi asking who the HDIC was. After several private classes and a few slobber-knockers we became good friends.
We went to PKA matches together when they first got started in Memphis in the 80's. Sammy had very little fear of anyone and was very quick for his size (he wasn't heavy, just tall). One time his Saturday night match had to cancel so he agreed to fight super heavyweight. We fought 5 2-minute rounds back then. Sammy horsed around with the guy for four rounds. Came to the corner and told me he was ready to leave. Got up on the bell and smooth knocked out the heavyweight with a roundhouse as soon as they touched gloves. Bowed. Shook the referee's hand. Turned around and walked to the corner and said "lets go". He never looked back. We were in the bar at the Pyramid later that night and he got us both in two scrapes before calling it a night. That was a pretty typical weekend back then.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

jeezuz, i saw that video clip there in your post and I thought for sure you were gonna tell us that you know Tony Stark and the rest of the Avengers.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jim "Ronin" Harrison was a Karate man back in the sixties. A polite man, but scarier than all get out. Everybody was afraid of him in the Karate world back then. Everyone said they wouldn't want to fight him in a real fight. Guys like Joe Lewis, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, guys like that all said that about Jim Harrison.

There was a quiet, unassuming crazy to Jim Harrison. The hair on the back of your neck stood up a little bit when he walked by. It really did. Heck, mine just did typing that. He still scares me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The superhero landing?