who have you met?

J

jkdhit

just curious but who are some famous fighters, martial artists, or actors youve met?

ive met jet li, jackie chan, jean claude van dam, chuck norris, and jadi tention

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just curious but who are some famous fighters, martial artists, or actors youve met?

ive met jet li, jackie chan, jean claude van dam, chuck norris, and jadi tention
Well, you can't just say that and not elaborate on the meetings!:D So for the rest of us who haven't met these people...please tell us, what were they like?

OP
J

jkdhit

lets see...

jackie chan i met at a shopping center in canada. he was doing autographs and we just spoke briefly because of all of the people asking for his autograph. he was mentioning how he was just bringing some things to donate to charities and all the people recognized him and started coming up to him. he was really friendly.

jet li is actually pretty talkative if you ask him questions that interests him. he doesnt seem to enjoy talking about his personal life but he'll talk about movies he's been in and why he chose to perform in them. he's also really friendly, if there's something he doesn't want to talk about.. he's not blunt, he'll say it in a way that just hints you he doesn't want to talk about it.

jean claude van dam, i only got an autograph and photo with him giving a thumbs up. he didn't say anything and i didn't like him that much.

chuck norris i met a long time ago, i forgot where but we were talking about martial arts and i was asking him about 2 specific movies.. his movie with bruce lee and the movie sidekick. he's also pretty friendly but he was pressed for time by all the people he works with so i only got to talk to him for maybe 5 minutes.

jadi tention i know on a more personal level. i've spoken to him several times online, on the phone, and in person. i actually used to paintball with him and he would invite me to his martial arts school. we would mainly just talk about martial arts and paintball. he's an alright guy but he's a bit arrogant. also he brags about his cash and his son is a whiney lazy kid.

i remember with jadi, i would always make fun of him cuz he would constantly talk about how he left the jean paul mitchell team because he didnt like his team mates and i would ask why would he be sponsored by a hair product company when he has no hair? lol

OP
P

Peter Steeves

hmmm...

I trained with Manaka Sensei, head of the Jinenkan, on a very regular basis in Japan for years. Very personable, but frightening in a wonderful way, too. (I'm biased, but he's my favorite). :supcool:

Also trained fairly regularly with Hatsumi Sensei, head of the Bujinkan. The man is the David Copperfield of the martial arts world - "it shouldn't be possible, but I sure just saw him do it!"

Had tea and snacks with Otake Sensei, head of the Katori Shinto Ryu. Very personable, yet formal - an impressive combination! Tremendous knowledge and poise. Lots of details and stories in my ebook about sword training.

Met Mike Tyson a few times near my old office in Beverly Hills. Luckily, doesn't sound like Mickey Mouse in person. Had a small chat, and I wasn't really looking to have a longer discussion with the man.

Trained very briefly under Tom Patire - founder of CDT. Knowledge base is very sound, and he's calm under pressure like few others. Strong business sense, too.

Perhaps my greatest privilege is to have met all of the people I've trained with over the years. I've learned TONS because of everyone, in every dojo/training group, etc.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
George Dillman I know and train with this man he is a good man, and has always treated me with the utmost respect.

Dan Severn I have brought him down to do a seminar been to his training hall and house and speak occasionally on the phone with him. He is a good man down to earth and will talk to you about anything.

Frank Shamrock a joker what else can I say.

Ken Shamrock didn't really say much but I have met him a few times.

Rich Franklin he is a good guy, a friend of mine trains with him.

Chuck Norris a very good guy, here is a story for you. A friend of mine that lives in Michigan knows Chuck and his son (at the time his son was about 10 yrs old) did Tae Kwon Do and Chuck Norris was his favorite star, once he found out about this Chuck flew the family down to see him and let the kid be on Walker. That is the story of friend of mine told me, when I met Mr. Norris he was on a time restraint but he talked to me and was very polite.

Steven Seagal he was very arrogant, almost to the point I didn't even want his picture.

WWE wrestlers I used to work for the TSA and met a lot of celebrities but I was not able to get pics with them all but these guys were somehting else never willing to cooperate (with a few exceptions) and thought they were king of the world, maybe if I met them in different circumstances it would have been different

Nick and Jesica Nick was really cool but I wasn't much for Jess.

Ande McDowell not much for her she truelly thinks that she is a queen.

Pete Rose arrogant what else can I say.

I know that I have met more when I think of them I will come back.

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure that meeting all those people will really improve your martial arts skills. Maybe if you put pictures of them on your wall it will improve you even more...

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
I'm sure that meeting all those people will really improve your martial arts skills. Maybe if you put pictures of them on your wall it will improve you even more...
Nothing was even said about either of those quotes, I have no pictures on my walls of the people that I have met other than Dan Severn and George Dillman, George because he is my head instructor and Dan because I consider him a good acquantance. If you do not like the thread don't post ignore it.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Macho Man Randy Savage...in a Burger King....

Beat that....Oh YEAH....

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was introduced to Arnold Schwarzenegger when I worked for an ad agency in San Diego. Heh, they were always trying to match me up, he was single then and a couple of years older. He was in town to promote his new movie "Conan the Barbarian" ...a budding star. My impression of him: very polite, liked to smile, not terribly tall, and of course, built like a square shape especially in a suit.

I also met Lucie Arnaz. She was a prima donna. TW

Gryphon

White Belt
Reaction score
I had the fortune to meet Kathy Long last year while doing a security training assignment. Really, really interesting person and very friendly. I enjoyed working with her very much. I had always wanted to do martial arts but had been intimidated by all the different styles out there. Kathy took the time to find out what I wanted to accomplish and made suggestions as to what style to take. Then she volunteered to screen any of the schools I was interested in to make sure it was quality material with a good instructor (I live on the East Coast and she lives on the West Coast). If she hadn't made the effort, I probably wouldn't have begun training.

OP
J

jkdhit

ohh i forgot to mention hulk hogan and ken shamrock. eh id ont know if i should mention hulk hogan though lol but he's pretty nice

i met ken shamrock in some summer training class when i was still in 8th grade. he was pretty quiet :p

as for the person who mentioned mike tyson.. it's sad to see what happened to iron mike :O he was the youngest person to ever get the heavyweight and now it's sad to see the state he's in. i thought it was really said when he said it's time for him to retire because he doesn't want to embarrass the sport of boxing anymore

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Macho Man Randy Savage...in a Burger King....

Beat that....Oh YEAH....

I can't beat it personally but I have a good story about him. My roommate in college used to do a great impression of him. His father was chief of police in a town in Florida so my friend always got to be back stage during events. One time during a WWF event (or whatever it was then) The Macho Man was making his way down the back hall getting ready to go to the ring (so he was all pumped up.) My roommate was back there and as Randy passed he said "Oooh Yeah." Randy turned and back-handed him into the wall and kept on walking. After being stunned he picked himself up and said, "Holy ****, I was just decked by Randy Savage, that's awesome!" Well his Dad, the Chief, didn't find it amusing and confronted Savage after the event. Randy was very apologetic and gave my friend a t-shirt and took pictures with him, signed autographs, etc. He said he was so jacked up for his "performance" that he lost it. I love that story, sorry it's so long! :)

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I forgot:

I met Mr. T at a Tough Man competition about 15 years ago. He was nice. That's it for fighters. As far as other famous people:

George Jones - I snuck back stage at the Grand Ole Opry when I was younger and almost ran in to him. We talked for a while and then hit the men's room together :eek: (Hey, he said he had to go, so did I, so we went!)
I also met Randy Travis and LeAnn Rimes back there, along with a bunch of others, but they were the highlights.
Merle Haggard - No comment needed.
My wife's uncle is Michael St. Gerard, he played Elvis on ABC in the early 90's.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ed Parker, Paul Mills, Chuck Norris, Billy Blanks, Tadashi Yamashita, Tak Kubota.

That'd be about it for well known martial artists that Iv'e met.

Your Brother
John

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace at the Combat Hapkido seminar in Lexington Ky last year..I must have bowed 100 times and was tounge tied when I asked him to please take a picture with me..Needless worries..He is one of the good guys..

OP
O

OC Kid

Joe Lewis, John Turnage, Dick Willet, Bob White, Bruce Lees wife, Jerry Trimble, Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, Arlene Limas, Billy Blanks, Danny indian red Lopez, Kathy Longs trainer Frank Trejo, Dave Brock, Jim Muse, Jeff Newton, Oh I forgot (embarrased) Dan Anderson, Bob Hill, Steve Armstrong..Fred King....Thats all I can remember right now...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Updated list...

Ray Park - Soft spoken guy, a bit of a high pitched voice, and not the tallest fellow in the world. Still looked pretty intimidating in Star Wars as Darth Maul. :)

Chuck Norris - Really good guy, he took some time to chat a bit, even though he was really busy.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel extremely lucky in that I've met/trained with some of the best, IMO, in the martial arts. And heeeeeeeer they are;
GrandMaster Moc Kan Sent - Hung Ga Kuen
Guro Dan Inosanto - JKD/Silat Serak/Maphilindo Silat
Sensei Gene LeBell - Grappling/Submissions
Maha Guru Victor DeThouars - Pentjak Silat Serak
Sifu Larry Hartsell - JKD/Grappling
Vladimir Vasiliev - Russian Systema
Prof. Garry Dill - JKD/Bushido Kempo
Master Toddy - Muay Thai

The 1st one GM Moc Kan Sent isn't a big name, but he was my 1st Sifu at age 11 and the one who got me started. I'll always hold the utmost respect for my 1st instructor, because I feel if he hadn't have given me a positive experience from the start, I would have never had made the MA's a lifelong pursuit. :asian:

Franco

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gene LeBell, I've been fortunate enough to train with him several times over the last 16 years.
Toshishiro Obato, Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bill Wallace, Oleg Taktarov, Gokar, Hugo Duarte, a couple of the Gracies & Machados (I can't keep their names straight), Wally Jay, Tetsuro Nariyama, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Toshiaki Takikawa, Benny Urquidez, Joe Lewis.

I've trained with most of the folks but some were just handshakes and backslaps.

Mark Barlow