Who are the up and coming Modern Arnis Players?

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This thread is not about who are the up and coming leaders of Modern Arnis.

An alternative title for this thread could be, "Who have you seen who is damn good with a stick?":)

-Palusut

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why you gotta diss Andy Zavalla? ;)

Cthulhu

Palusut said:
Here is my list:

This list does not include any MoTTs, seniors from the PI, or heads of systems because they are already at that next level and are leaders already in their own right.

IMAF(s)
Guro David Ng
Guro Roland Rivera
Guro Lyndon Johnson

IMAF (Shirshir)/FCS (Tuhon Ray)
Guro Aldon Asher

FCS (Modern Arnis is a sub-system and base for FCS)
Guro Ray Cole
Guro Rico Cortes
Guro Carlos "Pipo" Cortes
Guro Marrese Crump

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Everyone,

This thread is not about who are the up and coming leaders of Modern Arnis.

An alternative title for this thread could be, "Who have you seen who is damn good with a stick?":)

-Palusut

Now I am really confused! The title of the thread reads "Who are the up and coming Modern Arnis Players?". Please help me out.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
WMAA said:
I think one must define what one perceives as a leader. Yes a local instructor is a leader in their school, but if you’re talking about someone being a leader in the Modern Arnis community I feel that we must a higher standard. Maybe Jerome and Rick should define their perception of what an “Up and Coming Modern Arnis Player” is otherwise we are comparing apples to oranges.

This really isn't a hard thing to understand, if you seperate the quanatative from the qualitative measure. A leader, in the context that you have mentioned, does not have to operate a school nor does a leader have to be an instructor. Those things deal with organizations, titles and numbers. Leadership is functional. It is involves doing something that affects others, it is about style(s) of getting others to react.

I believe that "up and coming" is Palusut's phrase. On the other hand it is generally used to refer to people or things that will be prominent at some point in the future (exact time not clearly determined). From my general perspective the problem with your statement is that you want to cloud the issue since I and several others have done something that you have not - we have posted the names of some people who we believe are working toward being future leaders in Modern Arnis. The idea is quite simple and straight forward - who do you believe can and will make significant contributions to the art of Modern Arnis at some point(s) in the future?

Your apples and oranges gambit is a dodge to cover up the fact that you have not named anyone on this thread. If you really want a "leadership" discussion, start a new thread and state what you believe the criteria of leadership to be.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't use the title, "Up and Coming Arnisadors", that title is taken on MT!!!:)

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on you definition of an "Arnis Player." To me, this would indicate a fighting skill. If you say be careful of him, he is a good arnis player, it would mean he can fight and demostrate skill. Not that he has a set of videos out.

Unfortunately in this day and age of sue-and-be-sued and modern culture, there is really no way for the younger fighters to test themselves. Many people higher up the ladder are hesitant to put thier reputation on the line. My deepest respect goes to the established players who are willing to play with anybody regardless of the outcome. There is much to learn by being on the recieving end of a seniors stick!

+ humble myself (I would rather not be on the "list") I prefer flying under the radar and being relatively unknown in the Modern Arnis Political World! However, I will support and help anybody in the Arnis and Filipino community who asks. I do personally know all the people on Palusut's list and they do deserve mention. Harold, you need to add yourself to that list!

Of all the people on Pulusut's list, I would have to say Roland does NOT deserve to be on there! Roland should NOT be considered an up-and-comer, but an ESTABLISHED Modern Arnis player. He is probably one of the purest representations of Modern Arnis that I have had the opportunity to train with. But thats just my opinion!

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would add that Roland and David are 1st gen., not second or third. (maybe not the only ones on that list , I don't know the others first hand.)

I suspect you will see a lot of potential 'up and comers' drawn off to other related arts simply due to the politics currently associated with modern arnis.

Latest Discussions