Who are the top JKD instructors in the world ?

Smoke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
DC Metro area has quite a few. Off the top of my head, there's Pat Finley, Steve Braun, Mike Krivka, Pat Tray, and Scott Anderson. I know there's quite a few more, but can't pull their names out of my brain at the moment.

I've heard of Pat Tray. Also, Frank Cucci used to be in the Virgina Beach area.

Also along the East Coast, in North Carolina, are several. Juan Perez, Rob Hunter, John Kogas and Scott Shields. I'm sure there are others.

rooke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm studying with the guy, so I'd have to throw his name up:
Steve Grody

He studied under Dan Inosanto for 13 years. He studied under Edgar Sulite privately for 7.

His trapping, empty hand skills, blade tactics, and stick methods are absolutely top notch. I knew about the first two (trapping and empty hand) due to the videos he's previously put out. I was absolutely blown away by his knife tactics and stick methods. Grade A stuff all the way.

Rooke

Smoke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard of Grody's name for a while. You're fortunate to be studying with him.

Seems like we have quite a few good instructors and younger guys coming up all the time. Many of these guys not only know the technical curriculum well, but can also fight. I dare say this wasn't always the case! These are good days to be training.

For some reason, these last couple of posts have provided insight into possible forum topics....we shall see.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always thought of Steve Grody as a Kali guy, but I guess that because I have his "Empty Hands of Kali" tape.

Interestingly, he use to also teach Lindy Hop (I saw him down at The Derby in the heydays of the 90s Swing revival).

Something on Burton Richardson, at least as far as a few years back, he really had a emphasis on Silat, with a lot of Silat in his JKD interpretation. Great stuff, but some "purists" / OJKD folks may object.

So I suppose the list can be broken down to OJKD and JKDC instructors.

I'll add one to the OJKD set - Sifu Yori Nakamura teaches the basic and intermediate "Jun Fan" classes at the Inosanto Academy. He's great with the technical stuff - very specific and exact on the mechanics.

JKD143

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know Jeremy Lynch and the Wed. night group were mentioned already, but I came across this old video of Jeremy and Louis Berard back in 1998.

Though you guys would enjoy, if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited by a moderator:

rooke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always thought of Steve Grody as a Kali guy, but I guess that because I have his "Empty Hands of Kali" tape.
His style has evolved quite a bit since that series. I already considered the stuff I saw on his tapes to be top-notch stuff. I'm even more blown-away now.

Interestingly, he use to also teach Lindy Hop (I saw him down at The Derby in the heydays of the 90s Swing revival).
He's a multi-talented guy. Also an author on the LA Graffiti scene.

Something on Burton Richardson, at least as far as a few years back, he really had a emphasis on Silat, with a lot of Silat in his JKD interpretation. Great stuff, but some "purists" / OJKD folks may object.
---
I do not presume to speak for Burt. However from what I've read, it appears he pulled away from Silat when he began training with Matt Thornton and focused on MMA as his JKD expression. Recently he's released "Battlefield Kali" and is soon releasing a "Street Silat", but he kinda turned away from Silat (it seemed to me) for awhile, as he felt it wasn't composed of "high percentage" techniques in an adrenal dump situation...but that is just MY interpretation based on what I read.

Rooke

steve7968

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of Pat Tray. Also, Frank Cucci used to be in the Virgina Beach area.

Also along the East Coast, in North Carolina, are several. Juan Perez, Rob Hunter, John Kogas and Scott Shields. I'm sure there are others.

i train under sifu scott shields (who trained under sifu inosanto)

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bob Breen & Rick Young from what I have seen.

Paulsen & Matt Thornton.

Seen some terrible footage of some original JKD guys won't mention names...but really bad.

But like anything there is good and bad...trained with Andy Norman for quite a few years KFM who's a JKD man.

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Damon Evans? Not sure of the lineage. I've been looking for a good place to train for a while now (there aren't many promising options where I live) and I plan on going to this place to try it out, but it would be nice to get some experienced input.

Here is the school's website: http://www.jkdsciences.com/
They also have a youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/jeetkunedosciences

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tommy Carruthers and his unique "no nonsense" approach. The guy is unbelievably great. Closest person to Bruce's method and abilities.