Dan Inosanto on "What is JKD"?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Point taken.

In rereading Dan Insanto's article and looking at the website you suggested, and your response I can see that there are more than 3 people that would be qualified.

I am certain the people that Bruce Lee approved have since approved others to teach. And his senior students, which he may not have approved; I am certain continued training and are worthy teachers. And based on the philosophy of JKD I am certain Bruce Lee would approve as well.
Sigung Macias was Jimmy Lees student before the Oakland JKD school existed and until Jimmy's death. Jimmy never approved anyone to teach. Sifu Macias, Sigungs son, started training around 1968.

Advanced Martial Technology "without" certification.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go to that same site and click the "articles" link (give it a minute to load up, it's Adobe format) you can count that there were 42 students at the Oakland school and several passed on their teachings.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I believe "Jeet Kune Do" is the art that Bruce Lee developed and practiced during his lifetime. If you want to know what his JKD actually is, then you should to go ask Bruce Lee. What Dan Inosanto practices is his interpretation of JKD, with emphasis on FMA, which is great if it works for him, my style has emphasis on fancy kicks, which is also great because it works for me. It's my interpretation, but I know that it's not JKD because Bruce Lee didn't practice it that way. Inosanto took what Lee taught him and took it to his own level. I learned after training in JKD and then turning around and reading Bruce Lee's books like Tao of Jeet Kune Do, that I needed to find what worked for me as a martial artist. So anytime someone asks me what I practice, I say martial arts, not JKD.