your body your art

H

hapki-bujutsu

I was wondering if anyone has a took a tradtional art where normaly everyone does the techs exactly the same but do to your size handicap what have you, it had to be adjusted for you. They only time i had a problem was in hapkido. I am 6'6 and 250 pounds. Hapkido was made for smaller to bigger so I did alot of adjusting where everyone was smaller then me. Anyone else have this problem in a difrent way? Just wondering

thanks

OP
L

LadyDragon

In my case its just the opposite. I'm only 5'4". So many time I have to change my targeting for guys who are your size. Usually good for me but bad for them. More often than not my shots are to the knees, or groin. My instructor wanted to call my black belt exam 101 shots to the groin.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by LadyDragon
My instructor wanted to call my black belt exam 101 shots to the groin.

:rofl: :rofl: :lool:

Thanks for the humorous moment. You've brightened my morning.

- Ceicei

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by hapki-bujutsu
I was wondering if anyone has a took a tradtional art where normaly everyone does the techs exactly the same but do to your size handicap what have you, it had to be adjusted for you.

Don't all arts really do this adjustment? I mean, the spirit of the technique may remain the same, but I would think a "good" art would allow for variations in the practitioner's body type or even skill level. I would question something where, say if I couldn't kick a tall guy in the head, an instructor told me I had no choice but to do so. I see the point of high kicks, especially as a training tool, but wouldn't the point be to kick as high as you are capable of? Wouldn't a powerful, well executed kick to another target also be effective?

In the beginning phase, you may learn by copying your instructor, but eventually, the art should be made yours, and adjusted for your unique situation.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm usually in Hapki's position, being the tallest person in class. However I did have a class where I was with a 6'11" basketball player. That was really interesting. You definitely have to adjust your technique to the other person, regardless of their size.

I also agree with pknox. The art should fit you, not the other way around.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with pknox here. All arts do this. For someone to think that a child, a woman and a man can do the exact techs. the exact same way is crazy! You need to adjust the techs for YOU, and do what works for YOU, not anyone else.

Mike

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
However I did have a class where I was with a 6'11" basketball player. That was really interesting.

Gee. You could use the guy's scrotum as a speed bag.

Wapadawapadapadawapadapdawapadadapadawapadapada....

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Gee. You could use the guy's scrotum as a speed bag.

Wapadawapadapadawapadapdawapadadapadawapadapada....

Regards,

Steve Scott

That's some good stuff. :rofl: :rofl:

In regards to the topic, I also agree with what others have posted. What works for one may not work for another. It's all about making things work for you.

:asian:

OP
M

Master Todd Miller

Eric, You have grown about 10 inches since last year, WOW Share with us how!

Todd M.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master Todd Miller
Eric, You have grown about 10 inches since last year, WOW Share with us how!

Todd M.

You see Todd, after he left your school, Eric was at a demonstration of a new radioactive device. Somehow a spider got into the sterile lab environment and this spider got zapped with radiation and bit Eric. This gave Eric all kinds of super powers like crawling on walls, super agility, 10 inches of growth, enhanced ESP, super strength, and Dan ranking in Kuhapdo.
He originally tried to use these powers for personal gain but, after being outed on a website, realized that with great power comes great responsibility. He now uses his powers for good and...hold on.....I have to stop or Marvel Comics is going to sue me....

andy

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, you're confusing Eric with ME. I'm the one with the spidey power, not Eric.

Eric turns green when he gets angry. Hence the ten inch growth.

Regards,

Steve

Spiderman, spiderman...does whatever a spider can.
Is he strong? Listen, bud...he's got radioactive blood.
Hey maaaaaaaan, here comes the spiderman.
In the heat of night at the scene of a crime
with the speeeed of light, he arrives just in time!

Etc. You guys know how I got my rep....