Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done iaido and some Tai Chi sword. Now in arnis I do stickwork that has a blade awareness and can be translated to the sword (with some changes). I'd like to try Western fencing and Kendo some day!

A

AikiSano

I want to do some Kendo, but does aikido swordwork count?

E

Eddie Miller

To quote a 6 Dan in Aikido "Aikido Swordwork is nothing more than to teach the Aikido Student the basic rolls and other motions of Aikido." This person also happens to train in Iaido as well and also holds a high rank in it as well. As for Kendo. Kendo is not really "Sword Work" either. A lot of the things we do in Kendo can not be used with the real sword simply because of the differences from Shinia to real sword. But its a lot more fun. :D

T

TLH3rdDan

too bad we have to settle on one choice for the poll... but i study basic fencing and also some kenjutsu... although i end up doing my own thing combining both styles lol

E

Eddie Miller

Hey TLH3rdDan

Just curious who you practice with up in Nashville? I am originally from Memphis and I did not know any one was up that away. I studied under Harry Dach Sensei in Memphis and Shinobu Meade Sensei is in Sweetwater but I did not know of any other styles other than a few renigade Iai people up that away.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan
too bad we have to settle on one choice for the poll... but i study basic fencing and also some kenjutsu... although i end up doing my own thing combining both styles lol

Dude...its a multiple choice..... heh. :)

T

TLH3rdDan

lol i didnt see that kaith lol... i used to study with a few students of dale kirby...

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I study Iaido... our dojo also has Iaijutsu, but I will not see it until I reach higher rank :(. I would lke to learn some kendo though. I'm not sure how easily an Iai student can learn kendo though :confused:...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is that iaido has sacrificed some combat effectiveness for idealized techgnique that helps one develop one's character. Iaijutsu would be the older, more practical system.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got an article coming out in the next issue of MT Mag that addresses some of the differences between the two.

:asian:

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My understanding is that iaido has sacrificed some combat effectiveness for idealized techgnique that helps one develop one's character. Iaijutsu would be the older, more practical system.

Really. Interesting. Which Iaido would that be? Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Iaido? All koryu Iaido? Any particular koryu Iaido?

So what would you make of say the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu? MJER is a member organzation of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. It is a very combat effective system. The MJER Seitokai rank certificates list the system as MJER Iai-heiho.

Since Kaith has written an article about this topic, I'm interested particularly to here and discuss his views.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
Which Iaido would that be? Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Iaido?

Yup.

All koryu Iaido?

In principle, in adopting the name iaido one would think they've taken to pushing a "way" over a set of techniques but in practice these things are not always consistent.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
Since Kaith has written an article about this topic, I'm interested particularly to here and discuss his views.

Its only a brief touching on it based on my own research.

(from August 2003 MartialTalk Magazine
"Iaido is believed to have begun its development around 1200AD. Iai is differentiated from the ken styles in that the sword is initially sheathed. Iai is composed of drawing the sword, bringing it to combative use in minimal time, and then resheathing it. You start from both combative postures, and at-rest positions such as seated. The reason for these non-combat positions is that they are everyday positions. One could expect attack at any time, so the ability to respond and survive was considered essential.

As the student progresses, the ‘do’ aspects are often left behind and the jutsu becomes more pronounced. The major difference between the 2 styles is that while Iaido focuses on the mental aspects, Iaijutsu focuses on the combative techniques. Many students find iaido to be a meditative art in their search for perfection of the draw. "

Personally, I am looking to at somepoint study either kenjutsu or iaijutsu, once time, money and a qualified instructor are available. My areas sadly rather devoid of sword arts.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, there is simply no distinction drawn between iaijutsu and iaido. You cannot, or rather should not, seperate the character building aspects of Iai from the combat effective aspects of the waza.

Think of it like this. In an Iaido dojo, every workout is focused exclusively on learning how to fight with a sword. You carefully study the techniques and learn the basic combat principles of the style. You train hard to master these techniques. Form is absolutely critical with swords, because the margin of error is so small and the consequences of failure are so high. Unlike unarmed combat, if you flub a block. YOU DIE. There are no second chances. So form is naturally VERY important. Your focus in training is tightly focused on learning how to kill your opponent before he kills you.

The character building/spiritual aspect of iai, comes from continous training under a respected instructor. You pick it up through sheer osmosis. It isn't taught. It's not part of the curriculum, and it doesn't really come from the techniques. Basically you hang out with good people and it rubs off on you.

There are a few instructors and dojos which do not focus on combat effective technique, but they are not doing iaido as opposed to iaijutsu. They're just doing it wrong. Plain and simple.

Latest Discussions