Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Aikido Swordwork is nothing more than to teach the Aikido Student the basic rolls and other motions of Aikido."

Not sure I'd agree with this... Ueshiba sensei noted on many occasions that Aiki-jo and Aiki-bokken were developed from his training to awaken the kami

For those of you interested, Aikido Journal has recently released Aiki-jo and Aiki-bokken DVD's featuring the late (and *great*) Saito sensei.

Aiki Jo & Bokken DVDs

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study mostly traditional chinese weapons which include the broadsword, Gim (taiji sword), and several other traditional swords. The Horse Leg Cutter is awesome too!!

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure the actual name for it, but here is a horse chopping and the horse leg cutter.

Horse Chopping:
martialartsmart_1769_3597978

Horse Leg Cutter: (actually its about 3/4 this size)
martialartsmart_1769_3163048

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Were these, then, intended for use against the opponent's horse more than the opponent?

I've been curious about that myself, the techniques and forms we learn with these weapons are most deffinatly not for a horsed rider, or horse in general. However they must have gotten the name from somewhere. Its interesting, but I honestly don't know the history behind them. I do enjoy learning them though.

7sm

D

Dragongup

I study Hai Dong Gumdo, Koreo Gumdo, and I.G.F. Gumdo, wich are Korean based swordsmanship. Unlike Iaido and Kendo/Kumdo, Gumdo is based on swordsmanship as it relates to the battlefield, not just one on one duels. It is injoyable, and smooths out my training in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. It incorporates flow.

F

FastEd

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Its only a brief touching on it based on my own research.

(from August 2003 MartialTalk Magazine
As the student progresses, the ‘do’ aspects are often left behind and the jutsu becomes more pronounced. The major difference between the 2 styles is that while Iaido focuses on the mental aspects, Iaijutsu focuses on the combative techniques. Many students find iaido to be a meditative art in their search for perfection of the draw. "

Sigh....You've got it all backwards.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenjutsu
sobador arnis (put down the sticks, and pick up the cane knives)
kendo
Was in to wu shu broadsword for a spell, but am now to old and stiff to support the physicality of the executions.

Dr. Dave

C

Cobra

I didn't read all the posts, but I study fencing with the epee and the sabre. Rapier arts like fencing are one of the most effective swordfighting in my opionion.

They teach how to use the Western Longsword and Shortsword? I didn't think they taught that any more. Same with Arab sword arts with the scimiter. What sword do Koreans use?

S

swordscholar

Hello all,

I study Classical Fencing, that is, western fencing focusing on martial rather than sporting applications of fencing.
Classical Fencing includes (but is not limited to) the study of the foil, epee, sabre, in the tradition of the French and Italian schools.
There are also many other Medieval and Renaissance weapons, schools, and texts to be studied.
Very interesting.
i am particularly interested in comparing martial traditions of the east and west.

Charley

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
A few years ago I did fencing for about 1 year but I would much rather study classic fencing with the true rapier. However, there is no schools in the US it seems that teaches that stuff.

There are no schools that even teach European Straightsword Arts it seems which I would want to learn the most.

F

Firona

After reading The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi I became interested in the sword arts so I bought myself a 'kendo stick' or more appropriately 'one of those bamboo sword thingys' and started practicing what the book taught. After awhile I started jumping around on the web looking for more information and eventually ended up teaching myself Niten Ichi-ryu.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Firona said:
After reading The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi I became interested in the sword arts so I bought myself a 'kendo stick' or more appropriately 'one of those bamboo sword thingys' and started practicing what the book taught. After awhile I started jumping around on the web looking for more information and eventually ended up teaching myself Niten Ichi-ryu.

It is called a shinai.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
A few years ago I did fencing for about 1 year but I would much rather study classic fencing with the true rapier. However, there is no schools in the US it seems that teaches that stuff.

There are no schools that even teach European Straightsword Arts it seems which I would want to learn the most.
Look for Society for Creative Anacronism (SCA) groups as a starting point. Theatrical fencing is usually taught with 'authentic' or 'non competative' handle and blunted blade designs that are close to 'true.' I would still work with a sabre mask and fencing jacket. A sabre helmet has added protection from overhead slashing cuts because of the addition of a leather piece on top...well it isn't really 'personal protection' per say. It does more to protect your partners blade from getting nicked and scarred on your metal helmet:)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Firona said:

I'm sure that will come as a suprise to the soke of Niten Ichi-Ryu. Here generations of dedicated students have been spending all their lives studying Niten Ichi-ryu and all they really had to do was read some books. Amazing that you managed to teach yourself Niten Ichi-ryu but you still can't conjure up the name of "those bamboo sword thingies".

Hyakutake-sensei would get a real kick out of this post if he were on this board.

Latest Discussions