Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
F

Firona

Charles Mahan said:
I'm sure that will come as a suprise to the soke of Niten Ichi-Ryu. Here generations of dedicated students have been spending all their lives studying Niten Ichi-ryu and all they really had to do was read some books. Amazing that you managed to teach yourself Niten Ichi-ryu but you still can't conjure up the name of "those bamboo sword thingies".

Hyakutake-sensei would get a real kick out of this post if he were on this board.
I didn't say I was GOOD at it...lol I just know a little bit. And if you were a real martial artist you would understand that saying bamboo sword thingy is SO much cooler than saying shinai =P really who speaks japanese? hehe

N

Nikolas P.

Firona said:
I didn't say I was GOOD at it...lol I just know a little bit. And if you were a real martial artist you would understand that saying bamboo sword thingy is SO much cooler than saying shinai =P really who speaks japanese? hehe

Boku chotto nihongo ga hanaseru.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Firona...

Have you actually sought out training in the Niten Ichi-Ryu? And do you study martial arts other than sword arts?

WalT

F

Firona

Nikolas P. said:
Boku chotto nihongo ga hanaseru.
Japanese is actually a really fun language to learn, I am learning it too =D. and I am not an experienced swordsman by any means, I just got into the whole thing a few months ago. I have to appologize I realized the words 'a little' should have been in front of niten ichi'ryu hehe

H

Hyaku

Charles Mahan said:
I'm sure that will come as a suprise to the soke of Niten Ichi-Ryu. Here generations of dedicated students have been spending all their lives studying Niten Ichi-ryu and all they really had to do was read some books. Amazing that you managed to teach yourself Niten Ichi-ryu but you still can't conjure up the name of "those bamboo sword thingies".

Hyakutake-sensei would get a real kick out of this post if he were on this board.

Hello Charles

I am on the board :EG:

Firona, Nan ka kimi wa mainichi kusuri wo nonde imasu ka? Nankai me Gorin no Sho wo yonde wakaru ka na? Jibun de oshieru koto wa nai yo!

splice42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Firona said:
am not an experienced swordsman by any means, I just got into the whole thing a few months ago. I have to appologize I realized the words 'a little' should have been in front of niten ichi'ryu hehe
Actually, how about "None at all"? You can't learn Niten Ichi Ryu from a book, even from the book of the five rings. It's just not done that way. There are people who teach the art. They may be far from you, but then this art isn't being practiced by many people. I see a whole lot of people interested in Musashi and his art, and you're maybe the fourth or fifth I've seen in the last two months claiming to practice Niten Ichi Ryu or to have recreated the art from the book of the five rings. That's a lot of misdirected effort. Yet there were relatively few attendees to the Niten seminar in Canada this past weekend.

I think Imai soke said it took him, what, over 40 years before understanding Gorin no Sho. He certainly didn't study alone all that time. How could you think to practice Niten Ichi Ryu by just reading a book and doing what you think you understand from it?

Just as I'm not a pilot after reading a book on flying planes, or a doctor after reading a tome on medicine, or a Ph.D. after reading a thesis, you're not practicing Niten Ichi Ryu after reading the book of five rings. If you're serious enough, you can find someone to teach you. Until then, you're just swinging a wooden stick. Nothing wrong with that, but don't call it Niten Ichi Ryu.

Ah, to stay on topic: I practice Muso Jikiden Ryu Iai, and I've done some Niten Ichi Ryu. All I need now is a lifetime of practice. I study some Japanese, and now that the translators at the seminar last weekend said I should handle my Japanese myself, I'll have to study hard for next year if I want to talk to Iwami sensei ;).

N

Nikolas P.

No offense intended to those who practice organized niten ichi ryuu, but wasn't the progenitor of the current lineage someone who had very little direct training under Musashi himself? I agree that you can't learn just from the Gorin no Sho, though; the book was reputedly written to help guide Musashi's students after his death, primarily.

S

ShadowKnight

At the moment I am only studying Koryo Gumdo, but in the future I hope to expand to other sword arts.

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ARGH! Trying to remember the name of the Iai-do I study in jujutsu, and it keeps escaping me. Damn it. I know it's one of the recent ones, formed, I think, in this century, or close to it. Having a major brain fart as to its name, though. Ah well.

Also have read books on and played around with western non-fencing sword work. Woudl liek to find a teacher. Eventually. One day. *grin* Also, have learned a single chinese broadsword form, and a single tai chi long sword form. Which are cool. But, eh -- iai-do = my main sword style, right now.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My formal training is in Kali but I am a student of edged and medieval weapons use and theory, have a large collection or arms and I re-enact as a knight with chainmail and authentic weapons. (Not SCA) Being a JKD guy, you can't really classify what my style is, that would depend on the weapon type and situation.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
RanaHarmamelda said:
ARGH! Trying to remember the name of the Iai-do I study in jujutsu, and it keeps escaping me. Damn it. I know it's one of the recent ones, formed, I think, in this century, or close to it. Having a major brain fart as to its name, though. Ah well.

Also have read books on and played around with western non-fencing sword work. Woudl liek to find a teacher. Eventually. One day. *grin* Also, have learned a single chinese broadsword form, and a single tai chi long sword form. Which are cool. But, eh -- iai-do = my main sword style, right now.

Wouldn't be Toyama Ryu Batto Iai would it (formulated for the Japanese Army circa 1925). Or what about Shinkendo (martial art of Toshishiro Obata Sensei) or possibly Goshindo (formulated in the late 60's i beleive)?

Those are just a couple to name a few...

AC... I keep running into you on these boards... Kool to the Kali weapons...I myself have much love for the espada y daga.

Hyaku and Charles... Could you give us some background of Niten Ichi Ryu. From all the posts... we see that it has something to do with Musashi and from the Japanese has something to do with twin skies ( or something to that effect...you'll have to excuse me as my translation sucks...)?

It is rare to talk to exponents of koryu martial arts on most of these boards, let alone to have an experienced practioner (I am a constant lurker and reader of your posts on this and other boards Charles) and his instructor in the same place...

Domo arigato gosaimasu :asian:
Regards,
Walt

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Charles...

I actually lurk on both those boards quite a bit... (although I must confess, it has been a while since i lurked over at e-budo...)

Curiously enough...They just opened a Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iai-jutsu school about ten feet from my house ( in an aikido school) They operate out of two locations in Rhode Island ( next to my house is one of the locations...they must have sensed the phenominal ki in the air...). The web site (http://risword.com) is down so i cannot pirate the instructors name and make myself look like I am well versed in these matters...

I had sent them an email a while ago and they said that I was welcome to come down and train any time. The gentlemen seemed very relaxed and enthusiastic, however since they have recently changed their class times for the year, I have not had the opportunity to go and say hi.

If i do manage to go and play I will make sure I post my training experience so that real MJER guys can make fun of me (the swordwork in the Kempo system I do now is based on Toyama Ryu Batto Iai so I am sure when I do jump on the floor... I am going to look like a pitbull in a porcelain shop).

Thanks for the info Charles...
Regards
Walt

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there ...

No problem...I looked up on your profile that you are doing Hontai yoshin ryu and you use to do Arnis...

I am the opposite...I am now doing Philipino kali and I use to do Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu.

Small world...Biiiiiiiiig Dojo.....

Regards,
Walt

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well in that case you may not be as out of place as you imagine. MJER is the foundation which Toyama Ryu comes from. And, when done well, is a very aggresive form of kenjutsu. If I'm not mistaken the group that just started up there is likely associated with the Jikishinkai. It will be somewhat different from what I do as that branch broke off the line which I study quite some time ago.

L

latchless

I study Kombatan Arnis. We train with sticks but the intent of most of the techniques are for sword work.

Latest Discussions