Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only main difference many brewers still agree on is the kind of malt that should be used to brew each type of beer. Porters use malted barley and stouts are primarily made from unmalted roasted barley, which is where the coffee flavor most people associate with stout comes from.
From vinepair.com.
I have only dabbled in home brewing but I thought beer making required all the grain to be malted? How does one make it with un malted grain?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
The difference between stout and Porter is a pretty blurry line. Here what I look for in a Porter vs a stout...

Porters typically have a less creamy and thick head. They’re typically a little bit lighter in color. They’re typically not as creamy and/or full bodied. Perhaps a touch hoppier, but neither are hoppy on average. No where near a Pale Ale. The differences aren’t very big IMO.

I’ve had some stouts that I swore should’ve been porters and porters I thought should’ve been stouts. It’s all in the eye of the beholder, or the palate of the drinker. I’m not expert by any means.

The two styles I’ll consistently gravitate to are pale ale and porter. If I go into a brew pub that I’ve never been to, I’ll immediately ask for one of those. Stout will be 3rd.
My issue with Pale Ale is I get tired of everything tasting like pine trees. I never understood why IPA is so popular. It amazes me that people enjoy drinking a pine forest.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have only dabbled in home brewing but I thought beer making required all the grain to be malted? How does one make it with un malted grain?
I do not know the brewing processes very well. Vinepair.com is a very informative site so they may be able to answer your question.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My issue with Pale Ale is I get tired of everything tasting like pine trees. I never understood why IPA is so popular. It amazes me that people enjoy drinking a pine forest.
IPA's, and APA's for that matter are just nasty to me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crown Royal is one of the few liquors I can drink and enjoy. Maker’s Mark too. A glass of Crown Royal with some ice and just enough Pepsi to change the color makes a great drink in my book. I like Maker’s Mark straight with some ice.
I got very, very sick on Jack Daniels one time. Since then I cannot even bear the smell of whiskey or most bourbons. "If it is clear have no fear".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IPA is a cheap beer designed to be sent from the UK to the colonies, notably, obviously, India, it isn't real beer. If people are making/drinking it thinking it's a real beer then no wonder they are disappointed.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IPA is a cheap beer designed to be sent from the UK to the colonies, notably, obviously, India, it isn't real beer. If people are making/drinking it thinking it's a real beer then no wonder they are disappointed.
Good to know. Probably why the brewing are selling it as a premium beer.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve never had a pale ale nor IPA that tasted like a pine forest. Everyone’s palate is different though.

As @Tez3 was saying, IPA stands for India Pale Ale. As I learned it, it was initially brewed in the UK to be shipped to UK soldiers abroad, most notably India. It had a higher alcohol and hop (the stuff that makes beer “bitter”) content than the norm so the beer would taste fresher/last longer before spoiling when it got to the troops. Refrigeration and speedy delivery wasn’t what it’s like now.

I personally don’t like them. Too bitter/overly hopped for me. I’ve had one or two a long time ago that we’re ok, but nothing special to me. IPAs today have gotten totally out of control IMO. They push the alcohol and hop content to levels that are just absurd. I think a lot of it is guys thinking they’re tough or something by drinking and proving their manhood. Kinda like me being an idiot and wanting to show everyone I could drink Bacardi 151 straight. I surprisingly never overdid that one, but just drinking it straight was so stupid. It tasted awful and chicks weren’t impressed. But I guess I had some street cred from it when I was 19.

IPA seems like the same thing, only older guys thinks they’re cool with it. Some people genuinely like it, but not nearly as many as are drinking it IMO.

Edit - it sounds like you’ve been drinking Rouge’s ales. Absolutely horrible IMO. Everything they brew is hopped beyond recognition.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good to know. Probably why the brewing are selling it as a premium beer.
Russian Imperial Stout was allegedly started the same way. High alcohol content and extra everything.

And absolutely disgusting.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
At least here in the Pacific Northwest (American craft brewed) IPA's have been the standard for ~20 years. At first, I thought they were kind of interesting and a nice departure from bland macro-brew if you wanted a nice, light-ish, crisp beer. At that time Sierra Nevada was considered to be an extremely hoppy beer and the IPA of 20 years ago was only slightly hoppier than that. Now they're off the charts with hops, frequently more than 3x more IBU's than they used to be - you literally can taste nothing else in a some of them. My standard response to bar tenders when they recommend an IPA now is to say, "Look, IPA's are way over done and even if 7/8 of your taps weren't dedicated to IPA's they all taste like nothing but hops anyway. Please tell your distributor that it's time for something new."

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it is the fastest growing beer style here at least to a few of the beer snob sites I read. Still, it is nasty. I have been wanting to get monk beer since I had trappiest ale. I know that Trappists are not the only monk orders making beer so this should be fun.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve never had a pale ale nor IPA that tasted like a pine forest. Everyone’s palate is different though.

As @Tez3 was saying, IPA stands for India Pale Ale. As I learned it, it was initially brewed in the UK to be shipped to UK soldiers abroad, most notably India. It had a higher alcohol and hop (the stuff that makes beer “bitter”) content than the norm so the beer would taste fresher/last longer before spoiling when it got to the troops. Refrigeration and speedy delivery wasn’t what it’s like now.

I personally don’t like them. Too bitter/overly hopped for me. I’ve had one or two a long time ago that we’re ok, but nothing special to me. IPAs today have gotten totally out of control IMO. They push the alcohol and hop content to levels that are just absurd. I think a lot of it is guys thinking they’re tough or something by drinking and proving their manhood. Kinda like me being an idiot and wanting to show everyone I could drink Bacardi 151 straight. I surprisingly never overdid that one, but just drinking it straight was so stupid. It tasted awful and chicks weren’t impressed. But I guess I had some street cred from it when I was 19.

IPA seems like the same thing, only older guys thinks they’re cool with it. Some people genuinely like it, but not nearly as many as are drinking it IMO.

Edit - it sounds like you’ve been drinking Rouge’s ales. Absolutely horrible IMO. Everything they brew is hopped beyond recognition.

I don't remember the first one I tried, but I had IPA from Sierra Nevada and both of them tasted like a mix of pine forest and grapefruit. It was a chore to get through.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't remember the first one I tried, but I had IPA from Sierra Nevada and both of them tasted like a mix of pine forest and grapefruit. It was a chore to get through.
Man, I had a fruity beer, especially grapefruit.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada’s Torpedo IPA. I love Seirra Nevada Pale Ale, and I can’t stand the Torpedo. It’s actually more mellow than many other IPAs I’ve had, but it’s still just bad to me.

If you’ve never tried Rogue, definitely don’t start now. Their least hopped beer is so much worse than Torpedo. I had one that was “dry hopped” meaning they put extra hops in the bottle after brewing it. Last Rogue beer I ever had and will ever have.

The Rogue Dead Guy Ale has a really cool bottle that just shouts “Buy Me!” to me. Don’t fall for it :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I taste the grapefruit thing in all of them. I had one recently (still have one in the fridge, I think) from Magic Hat that wasn't too bad.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada’s Torpedo IPA. I love Seirra Nevada Pale Ale, and I can’t stand the Torpedo. It’s actually more mellow than many other IPAs I’ve had, but it’s still just bad to me.

If you’ve never tried Rogue, definitely don’t start now. Their least hopped beer is so much worse than Torpedo. I had one that was “dry hopped” meaning they put extra hops in the bottle after brewing it. Last Rogue beer I ever had and will ever have.

The Rogue Dead Guy Ale has a really cool bottle that just shouts “Buy Me!” to me. Don’t fall for it :)
So what is the difference between pale ale and IPA, I never understood that.

Latest Discussions