Which kind of strenght training it's better for martial arts?

luis.durazo23

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently training American Kenpo, i've been doing so for a while, and i'm thinking to combine this training with a gym workout strength routine. Which one of you think it is better for this kind of discipline?.

Thank You.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm currently training American Kenpo, i've been doing so for a while, and i'm thinking to combine this training with a gym workout strength routine. Which one of you think it is better for this kind of discipline?.

Thank You.
people seem to mean a lot of different things when they say strengh,
if you want the capacity to do work ie keep going for a long time, lift moderate weights a lot of times.

if you mean pure strength, ie the ability to lift heavy things. Then this is more or less unbeatable 5/3/1: How to Build Pure Strength | T Nation

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think anything you do that makes you stronger is good and will help you.

I would not recommend using weight machines. Free weights, barbells, and body weight training are better. But they are harder to learn how to do correctly. I recommend you either work with a personal trainer, or take a group fitness class. I don't know what gyms are like in Mexico, but in the US, most large gyms offer group strength training classes, and the classes are included in the gym membership.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank You.

Any type of martial arts training benefits greatly from core strength training, aerobic fitness, and flexibility. Additionally, anything that increases balance and overall coordination is helpful. Boxers do circuit training, speed and heavy bags, and jump rope, in addition to road work. You could do worse than to emulate them. Personally, I avoid heavy impact training to my knees, so I no longer run. I do like elliptical machines, though. In fact, I need to get back to that soon.

In my opinion, the kind of power that a stand up fighter needs is explosive power generated from a strong core and back, shoulders and legs. Aerobic training helps with the wind, so that kind of power expenditure can be maintained for briefs periods of time without becoming gassed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any type of martial arts training benefits greatly from core strength training, aerobic fitness, and flexibility. Additionally, anything that increases balance and overall coordination is helpful. Boxers do circuit training, speed and heavy bags, and jump rope, in addition to road work. You could do worse than to emulate them. Personally, I avoid heavy impact training to my knees, so I no longer run. I do like elliptical machines, though. In fact, I need to get back to that soon.

In my opinion, the kind of power that a stand up fighter needs is explosive power generated from a strong core and back, shoulders and legs. Aerobic training helps with the wind, so that kind of power expenditure can be maintained for briefs periods of time without becoming gassed.
they also benefit from strong arms and legs, grip strengh neck strengh and toe strengh

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes all of ot, I've no idea why people focus on the,core and then leave out the most important things
Everything is connected to the core. Arms, legs, and neck all come from the core.

Bench pressing is all fine and good, but it's not very functional - you're lying on your back, fully supported. pushing the same amount of weight while seated requires a stronger core. Pushing the same amount of weight while standing, which is far more functional, requires far more core strength. Think using a pulley tower and going straight out chest press vs lying down on a bench.

A strong core will help keep you from being pushed over, and keep gravity from pulling you down (hunched over) as you age.

Core strength is very high on an athletes' priority list, or at least it should be. A strong core is going to keep a soccer/football player from getting knocked off the ball when he gets leaned on. It'll keep a wrestler from getting pushed around, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, everything's important. But without solid core strength, bench pressing 300 lbs isn't going to do much more while you're standing than stroke your ego. Even with very strong legs, if if you have a weak core and someone pushes your torso, you'll fold. Especially if they push at chest/upper back level. Try wrestling a guy you can't push or pull; you can't do much of anything.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
yes all of ot, I've no idea why people focus on the,core and then leave out the most important things

Probably because you need to dedicate training specifically to the core in order to develop it, more so than any other muscle. A lot of people (particularly those in labour intensive jobs) do a lot of leg and arm training just by working, but the only time you use your core muscles is when you sit up in bed in the morning. A lot of what we do in our daily lives trains our arms and legs to some extent, but not our core muscles.

Anyway, regarding "strength", I would say that pure lifting strength is pretty low on your priority list. Instead I would focus on explosive strength and endurance, especially if you are competing.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal weight routine:

Monday - Legs:
Squat 6x3
DB lunge 6x15
Leg extensions 6x15
Leg curls 6x15
Leg Press 6x8
DB Calf Raises 6x8

Tuesday - Chest:
Bench Press 6x3
DB Press 6x15
DB flye 6x15
Incline DB Press 6x3
Pushups 6x30

Wednesday - Back and Abs:
Deadlifts 6x3
Pull-ups 6x8
Machine Row 6x15
Lat pull down 6x8
Bent over flye 6x8
Sit Ups 6x100

Thursday - Shoulders:
Military Press 6x3
Lateral Raise 6x15
Front Raise 6x15
Arnold Press 6x3
DB upright rowe 6x15
Single arm DB Swing 6x8

Friday - Arms:
DB curl 6x30 alt
Triceps push down 6x8
Hammer curl 6x10alt
Pushups 6x30
Forearm Roll 6x1
Eagle Claw 7 minutes

Each Workout should take between 50min-1h.

Rest 15 seconds between sets.
Rest 1 min between exercises.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably because you need to dedicate training specifically to the core in order to develop it, more so than any other muscle. A lot of people (particularly those in labour intensive jobs) do a lot of leg and arm training just by working, but the only time you use your core muscles is when you sit up in bed in the morning. A lot of what we do in our daily lives trains our arms and legs to some extent, but not our core muscles.

Anyway, regarding "strength", I would say that pure lifting strength is pretty low on your priority list. Instead I would focus on explosive strength and endurance, especially if you are competing.
which muscles specifically are you. Saying don't get worked by moving your arms and legs about?

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every single muscle counts. I'd say top priority for fundamentals in terms of repetitive, high rep strength would be quads, calves, obliques, lower back and front delts. I'll repeat that every single muscle counts. It's okay if every bit of muscle isn't used to purely strength. Mass and momentum play a huge factor anyway, so don't believe that hypertrophy is a bad thing.
What needs to be said is that to purely get bigger without much strength gain is when you are very far down bodybuilding and such. It's practically an irrelevant risk unless you are actually trying for it.

Go for the proven methods, cut the paranoid ******** and you're good to go I guess.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every single muscle counts. I'd say top priority for fundamentals in terms of repetitive, high rep strength would be quads, calves, obliques, lower back and front delts. I'll repeat that every single muscle counts. It's okay if every bit of muscle isn't used to purely strength. Mass and momentum play a huge factor anyway, so don't believe that hypertrophy is a bad thing.
What needs to be said is that to purely get bigger without much strength gain is when you are very far down bodybuilding and such. It's practically an irrelevant risk unless you are actually trying for it.

Go for the proven methods, cut the paranoid ******** and you're good to go I guess.
agree in parts, its impossible to increase your muscle mass with out improving your performance and its difficult to improve your performance with out some increase in your muscle mass in the muscles you work. But muscle growth exercises are not the best way to increase performance be that pure strengh or endurance strengh. Growing the muscle to increase its potential strengh and then working to use that potential is a good strategy. But just doing growth numbers will leave you below your potential in both pure strengh and endurance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people seem to mean a lot of different things when they say strengh,
if you want the capacity to do work ie keep going for a long time, lift moderate weights a lot of times.

if you mean pure strength, ie the ability to lift heavy things. Then this is more or less unbeatable 5/3/1: How to Build Pure Strength | T Nation
I do find it ironic that you posted the link to 5/3/1, since his recommendation - and the theory behind it - are entirely contrary to a statement you made on another thread (that working your max is the only way to develop strength).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do find it ironic that you posted the link to 5/3/1, since his recommendation - and the theory behind it - are entirely contrary to a statement you made on another thread (that working your max is the only way to develop strength).
maximal strengh training is working at about/ 90% of one rep max, which is more or less what the 531 system does. . If you can knock out more than 5reps its not heavy enough,

lifting one rep max' is a very good way of development, but is prone to causing injury as you try to jump up the levels, bycepts tear aren't nice

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
maximal strengh training is working at about/ 90% of one rep max, which is more or less what the 531 system does. . If you can knock out more than 5reps its not heavy enough,

lifting one rep max' is a very good way of development, but is prone to causing injury as you try to jump up the levels, bycepts tear aren't nice

I made this point in another thread, but people seem not to e accepting of it.
maximal strength, is more a,skill than it is about muscle adaption, strength training is first and for most about developing your nervous,system to recruit fast twitch fibres in sufficient numbers . . People who don't train at the higher levels of strength i can commonly only use about 35% of the strength their muscles are capable of producing' . Those who do some level of maximal strength training can develop about 70 % of potential strength,those who do a,serious program like the 531 system are up their in the 90%of strengh potential available.

none of this is about muscle development,just training the nervous system. Gains made. By muscle adaptation are over and,above what's,stated.

so in very simple terms doing some heavy lifting will in a few months double the the,strength you can deliver. That's free and,available to all, you just have to work at it for a,short while

nor does it have to include a bar bell routeen, you can adapt body weight exercises to make them maximal strengh exercises . You just need to make them so difficult that only 5 or less reps can be,achieved, when you get up to say 8 reps make them more,difficult again. You can still do your normal push ups or pull ups as well.

I find that 3 sets of maximal strength push ups followed by normal push ups makes my body feel so light during the normal push ups that I can do far more

Last edited:

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Based on what I have seen, I usually recommend to people to get into Cross-fit if they are looking to supplement their martial art training. It covers everything across the board, because of it's nature, you don't have to worry about repetitive motion injuries, and it seems to complement martial art training really well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on what I have seen, I usually recommend to people to get into Cross-fit if they are looking to supplement their martial art training. It covers everything across the board, because of it's nature, you don't have to worry about repetitive motion injuries, and it seems to complement martial art training really well.
you don't think a hundred kipping pull up is repetitive motion

Latest Discussions