Which decade would you have wanted to train in with Professor Chow?

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard and read Professor Chow taught different students over decades (maybe five different decades?) in Hawaii: Emperado, Parker, Chun Sr., Castro, Kuoha, etc. Which decade would you have wanted to train in with Professor Chow?

Me? I'd say in the late fifties when Grandmaster Bill Chun Sr. was Professor Chow's top student. Why? I'd venture to say that was around the time of the Professor's prime. Also, I have heard about the creating (creating their style of Chinese Kempo) that these two men did at that time and the intense training they did. I'd want to see up close the power and explosiveness they had that I can only imagine... (I'd probably hate to be their dummy, but I wouldn't be without my trusty bullet-proof vest...) From my short experience in Chinese Kempo and what I have learned and have been taught, my opinion is that these two men were geniuses and needed each other to bring out the best in both of them.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd be grateful to train with Prof. Chow in any decade. The man was an amazing martial artist with a lot to offer as a teacher.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
VERY interesting question...I believe you and I probably have our biased opinions on this issue ;)

I do not know when Professor was in his "prime" but I do know that there are entire sets of techniques and principles that were developed in the 70's and early 80's until Professor Chow's death in 1987.

I really enjoy watching the clips from the Chow/Chun web-site (including yours Johnny) so I can see "early Professor". :) You and I need to get together some day ...LOL

I am going to guess that most folks will pick the "era" that their style or instructor came from.

Good posting ---

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would pick the late '40s. He turned out a pile of remarkable martial artists so the classes must have been remarkable during that period. Furthermore i might have had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Mr. Parker.

Jeff

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd be grateful to train with Prof. Chow in any decade. The man was an amazing martial artist with a lot to offer as a teacher.

I agree. The chance to train with Prof. Chow would have a great pleasure and I think it would be to hard to pick which decade I wanted to train under him in.

B

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
VERY interesting question...I believe you and I probably have our biased opinions on this issue ;)

I do not know when Professor was in his "prime" but I do know that there are entire sets of techniques and principles that were developed in the 70's and early 80's until Professor Chow's death in 1987.

I really enjoy watching the clips from the Chow/Chun web-site (including yours Johnny) so I can see "early Professor". :) You and I need to get together some day ...LOL

I am going to guess that most folks will pick the "era" that their style or instructor came from.

Good posting ---

Hey dianhsuhe,

I suppose you're right about our opinions...it would be interesting for me to see what was developed by Professor Chow in the seventies and the eighties...glad you like the video clips on the website...hopefully we will be able to add more videos in the future...does your website (kara-ho) have any videos? Some day, it will be my pleasure meeting you! I look forward to that day...

Johnny

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
"I really enjoy watching the clips from the Chow/Chun web-site (including yours Johnny) so I can see "early Professor."

My understanding is that "early Professor" is nothing but "hard" Kempo until Chun Sr. came along...he introduced the soft Chinese side, which is the "Chun" part of the Chow/Chun System. As a fortunate student (especially as a "dummy"), I get to see what the Professor would do, what GM Chun Sr. would do and what M. Chun Jr. would do...they are all different but with devastating quick results!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My understanding is that "early Professor" is nothing but "hard" Kempo until Chun Sr. came along...he introduced the soft Chinese side, which is the "Chun" part of the Chow/Chun System.

I have not heard that. I know there is a great debate as to whether the Professor learned kung-fu from his father (my opinion and belief), learned it in a dream etc. but I have never heard that the "Chinese side" came from Mr Chun.

James

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
At training today, Brian pointed out to me that Emperado, Parker, etc. learned Gung-Fu (Kung-Fu) [after their time with Professor Chow] and incorporated that into their own styles.

I honestly would be perfectly happy if I only trained in the "old school" hard Professor Chow Kempo - like what Master Wilfred Peladeau, GM Chun Sr's first blackbelt, learned. (He can still make people flinch with his punches at his age - like in those videos of him in the Chow/Chun website... http://www.chinesekempo.org/wilpunchcounter.wmv & http://www.chinesekempo.org/wil3punchcounter.wmv ...LOL) That generation was proficient with the hard style of Kempo. I'd be happy if I mastered that style and can make people flinch...

Under Master Chun Jr., we have to learn and know the hard Kempo before we can learn the soft Chinese style. Only those who are ready (according to M. Chun) will be taught the next phase of the Chow/Chun system.

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know I've seen it before somewhere...I couldn't find the thread where the video of Professor Chow (1982 CKC) is mentioned (maybe it's on another martial arts site), but I did find the video on YouTube: (
).

Out of curiosity, are there styles out there that do the same kinda techniques as what Professor Chow did (single punch and double punch counters) in 1982? It appears that the Professor was quick to drop the puncher in both of the techniques with around three or four strikes. His movements were not flashy except for getting ready for the puncher on the last technique. Any video examples out there that look similar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions